The Student Room Group

gcse geography vs gcse sociology

which one is easier/enjoyable? pros and cons pls
Reply 1
or is RE(religious studies) better?
I’ve heard that the geography exam is really hard, and i find geography kinda boring anyway. Sociology is definitely the easiest subject i take, and it can be very interesting.

I find RE really easy as well but it’s really just remembering stuff which can get quite boring.
Sociology isnt regarded as a "proper" GCSE and is way easier than georgaphy.
I found geography quite easy but I was doing the WJEC welsh board...

I literally memorised the case studies about two weeks before my exam and came out with full UMS and A*s in all exams so it can’t be that bad x

I’d say about 70% of the people in my school doing Geography got A*s and the rest got A’s. I do go to a top school but believe me when I say there are/were some idiots too lol

I can’t comment on sociology but geography is probably the better subject since it’s facilitating x
Reply 5
Geography at GCSE is generally just a useful skill, it really teaches you to analyse situations and the exam technique is similar to lots of others. I never did Sociology so I wouldn't know about that, but its not a usual GCSE
I also got an A* in RE and I quite liked the debate side of it. It was a relatively easy A* but some people seemed to struggle with it...

My only problem with RE was that I was in a class of idiots! There were 18 of us but I’d say only 4 people actually wanted to be there, the rest were just annoying footballers who were loud, rude and generally obnoxious people. It drove me insane and generally put me off the subject 😔
Reply 7
I don't do geography but I do sociology
I find sociology quite easy and interesting
Geography sounds interesting too though, but it seems a lot harder because there are 3 papers in contrast to sociology which only has 2
i take geography and it's honestly one of my easier subjects, if not the easiest subject I take and the topics we learn are super interesting. Honestly, I think geography is really well regarded and it's so versatile, you can do so many subjects from geography due to the different aspects of it (eg. human, physical, economic)
Haven’t picked either myself but most people I know regret choosing geography
Original post by error405
which one is easier/enjoyable? pros and cons pls

Okay so...
I am at GCSE level now. I can't speak on behalf of Geography because I took history but I can talk about sociology. GCSE SOCIOLOGY is a proper subject. There's no two ways about it. I sat my mocks in Sociology recently. I can say this it can't be regarded 'easy' because there is so much content! So many sociologists to distinguish between and theories you need to embed. I can guarantee there is always something to do for sociology, unless you don't like the subject its really difficult to be bored.

Quick Reply

Latest