The Student Room Group

Problem with self-sabotage. Please help!!

I have been struggling throughout uni with completing assignments and assessments. For many years now (probably starting in 6th form) I really struggle with getting things done. I'm scared to start things so put starting things and completing things off until the very last minute. I used to be such a perfectionist and took ages on everything I did but the stress and anxiety (not sure whether to call it that) was too much so I figured if I put things off I don't have to deal with it. Also by leaving things to the last minute I have a reason to not do well so don't have to worry about the end result being a reflection of my true ability. It's like self sabotage. For example for my Jan exams I only had 3 days to revise 15 lectures for the first time and I did that for 2 topics. I don't start 2000 word essays until the day before they're due.

This trouble has been going on throughout all of uni and I've had enough. My grades are in jeopardy and I've basically ruined my future.
I've managed to scrape into third year with a 2:1 (60%). I'm taking my Jan exams and have definitely failed.

What do I do? Feeling really trapped and really not sure what to do? I want help but not sure if this is a genuine problem and who/where to get help.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!!

Thank you str
Original post by Hello_098
I have been struggling throughout uni with completing assignments and assessments. For many years now (probably starting in 6th form) I really struggle with getting things done. I'm scared to start things so put starting things and completing things off until the very last minute. I used to be such a perfectionist and took ages on everything I did but the stress and anxiety (not sure whether to call it that) was too much so I figured if I put things off I don't have to deal with it. Also by leaving things to the last minute I have a reason to not do well so don't have to worry about the end result being a reflection of my true ability. It's like self sabotage. For example for my Jan exams I only had 3 days to revise 15 lectures for the first time and I did that for 2 topics. I don't start 2000 word essays until the day before they're due.

This trouble has been going on throughout all of uni and I've had enough. My grades are in jeopardy and I've basically ruined my future.
I've managed to scrape into third year with a 2:1 (60%). I'm taking my Jan exams and have definitely failed.

What do I do? Feeling really trapped and really not sure what to do? I want help but not sure if this is a genuine problem and who/where to get help.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!!

Thank you str

You could try making a timetable, you'l lbe able to visualise what needs to be done
i think unis usually have good support for you? you could talk to your advisor (if you have one), or you could talk to a therapist - they could help with the stress and anxiety that comes with being a perfectionist? it could help with the root problem which is good for both your present and future lol

you could also try to see how other people deal with it and take some inspo from them

btw if this comes in handy im currently using todoist to track all my tasks - it can work on both computer and phone, but im pretty sure that there are other to-do trackers that work similarly
you could also try to break down big tasks into little ones that can be done 'perfectly' more easily and look more manageable, or have a study buddy to help encourage you to study on time

Quick Reply

Latest