This discussion is closed.
Evie Brown
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’m hoping to apply to a Russel Group university (that would be the dream) but Cambridge and Oxford are pretty much not even feasible due to me not getting all A’s and A*’s at GCSE, and due to the ridiculously high entry requirements from Cambridge. I really just want to find the best course for philosophy as I believe it really is one of the most important subjects there is. Thank you in advance!
Hillmanator
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Evie Brown)
I’m hoping to apply to a Russel Group university (that would be the dream) but Cambridge and Oxford are pretty much not even feasible due to me not getting all A’s and A*’s at GCSE, and due to the ridiculously high entry requirements from Cambridge. I really just want to find the best course for philosophy as I believe it really is one of the most important subjects there is. Thank you in advance!
hey, I'm applying for Philosophy and Theology this year, and i think exeter is worth a look. Cardiff is supposed to be quite good for it to
Anagogic
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Evie Brown)
I've heard that McDonald's constantly rank quite high on the league tables, I kid. Bristol, Sussex, Nottingham, York exc there's many options so long as you smash your A levels =)
usertest003
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
From what I have seen at open days etc, Warwick has an extremely strong philosophy department, especially for continental philosophy.
Name:  5F18E18E-53EF-46E8-A23D-B99256F921CA.jpeg
Views: 272
Size:  20.0 KB
Exceptional
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
St Andrews
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It depends on which flavour of philosophy you are most interested. I chose my institution to work with one bloke in a specific area of Indian phil, for example.
Dr Carlsberg
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
St Andrews for sure. Surprisingly low entry standards (AAB), and it's consistently ranked either 1st or 2nd best uni for Philosophy in the UK, and the uni is 1st for student satisfaction
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Since this is for undergraduate, the following may not be as relevant, but it's no more irrelevant than the Russell Group quality:

http://www.philosophicalgourmetreport.com/overall.asp

http://www.philosophicalgourmetrepor...epartments.asp

http://www.philosophicalgourmetreport.com/breakdown.asp

These rankings incidentally are compiled by discussion with a broad range of currently active Philosophers in each region (and outside) regarding the quality of their PhD programmes and individual research areas, respectively. The latter is probably the more relevant section...

You may want to note for example Birkbeck is considered one of the top universities in the world (on par with Cambridge and MIT) for feminist philosophy, by philosophers. Additionally Bristol for Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics, and York for Philosophy of Art/Aesthetics...
bloomer36
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
You may want to note for example Birkbeck is considered one of the top universities in the world (on par with Cambridge and MIT) for feminist philosophy, by philosophers. Additionally Bristol for Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics, and York for Philosophy of Art/Aesthetics...
What's feminist philosophy?
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by bloomer36)
What's feminist philosophy?
Philosophy from the perspective of feminism, and the philosophy of feminism. I'd suggest looking around online for more information, or making a new thread to discuss it in the philosophy forum; it's beyond the scope of this thread, and this thread is nearly a year old anyway
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (222)
67.68%
No (106)
32.32%

Watched Threads