The Student Room Group

Are those who attend a RGU more successful with gaining a TC than those who dont

Do those who get a TC and go to a russel group university far out way those who dont go to a RG uni and manage to gain a TC.

Any thoughts ?
I believe so
Original post by harry7788
Do those who get a TC and go to a russel group university far out way those who dont go to a RG uni and manage to gain a TC.

Any thoughts ?

Yes would be my guess (enough to put money on), but you should think about what those reasons might be.
No doubt the SRA can provide the stats.

Not worth getting hung up on. I would say go to the best uni you can but dont rule yourself out.

Are all TCS equal in your question?

Any thoughts ?

On average.. yes. The reasons why however are more to do with the delta between the type of people and individual profiles of students at RG (and top non-RG) vs lower ranked universities than the university name itself (Although, for some firms the university name is definitely a signficant factor).

That said, there's nothing stopping a high performing student with an equally as good or better profile than their RG/top non-RG counterparts from getting an interview.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Yes would be my guess (enough to put money on), but you should think about what those reasons might be.
No doubt the SRA can provide the stats.

Not worth getting hung up on. I would say go to the best uni you can but dont rule yourself out.

Are all TCS equal in your question?

Ohhh i didnt realise this was the case
a close mate told me and he said that there was significant difference in the amount of indiviuals who attened a RGU and who got TC and who didnt go to a RGU and didnt manage to gain a 1

Would you suggest that just by going to a highly regarded RGU would put you in a very good spot when applying for a TC compared to another indiviual who didnt attend a RGU
Reply 5
Original post by Princepieman
On average.. yes. The reasons why however are more to do with the delta between the type of people and individual profiles of students at RG (and top non-RG) vs lower ranked universities than the university name itself (Although, for some firms the university name is definitely a signficant factor).

That said, there's nothing stopping a high performing student with an equally as good or better profile than their RG/top non-RG counterparts from getting an interview.

i see what you are saying

I didnt realise that there was such a gap between those 2 sets of universities when applying to TC and that those who attend a RGU may be in the driving seat just because of the university they went to
Ohhh i didnt realise this was the case
a close mate told me and he said that there was significant difference in the amount of indiviuals who attened a RGU and who got TC and who didnt go to a RGU and didnt manage to gain a 1

Would you suggest that just by going to a highly regarded RGU would put you in a very good spot when applying for a TC compared to another indiviual who didnt attend a RGU

Part of its self selecting.

More likely than not the brighter students consistently go to RG. It includes Oxbridge for instance. They may be more motivated and more connected to apply for City jobs at MC firms or close. It stands to reason they stand a better chance of gaining TCs. Id think there are about 5 elite law schools and another 5 near elite, then the rest of the RG. Some non RG would claim parity with some RG, but theres also a raft of Unis which arent very strong, which do not attract the most able students.

So if there is a disparity or higher % of graduates with TCS from RG than non RG you should look at what the pool typically comprises of.

All your suggestion comes back to is if you go to the very highest uni then you have an increased chance of a good TC, but thats the same for any subject. The reason you managed to get to Oxbridge or LSE is because you were bright enough. See what I mean?

I didnt realise that there was such a gap between those 2 sets of universities when applying to TC and that those who attend a RGU may be in the driving seat just because of the university they went to

If you can get into one of the elites, then do so. It wont do you any harm if a TC is your aim.

Except it's not just because of their university. It's because their university tends to attract smart, motivated, ambitious, achievers. And that type of pool of candidate is exactly what firms are looking for - it's more of a sure bet than digging around a university with a lower density of quality candidates.

Quick Reply

Latest