Turn on thread page Beta

How can I get my mother to stop smoking in my car? watch

ReputationRep:
    I’m only 16 so I can’t drive yet but I bought a car for my mother to use it for a few months until I need it because her car broke. So she’s been using it Daily and I asked her 2 things - don’t smoke in there and don’t give any kids food in there. Not long after we had it I caught her sat in it with the door open with her feet out of the car smoking with the smoke clearly going inside. SHe tried to tell me that she wasn’t in the car and started an argument over it but I told her just don’t do it and have a bit of respect for me. I she kept doing it and I got sick of telling her everytime and her having a go at me for it so I left it there. A few weeks ago then I got in the back seat and there was fag ash all on the seats and it’s marked it. Again I told her not to or I’m just going to have to sell it (I wouldn’t though because we both needed it) and she is still smoking in there. When I bought it it still smelt fresh and inside was in great condition and now there is marks from fag ash in the seats, loose tobacco stuck in the front seats where she puts the fag box on there and oviously smoke just ruins everything. She’s also been letting kids eat and drink in there so they’ve tipped milk and other stuff in there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meg846)
    I’m only 16 so I can’t drive yet but I bought a car for my mother to use it for a few months until I need it because her car broke. So she’s been using it Daily and I asked her 2 things - don’t smoke in there and don’t give any kids food in there. Not long after we had it I caught her sat in it with the door open with her feet out of the car smoking with the smoke clearly going inside. SHe tried to tell me that she wasn’t in the car and started an argument over it but I told her just don’t do it and have a bit of respect for me. I she kept doing it and I got sick of telling her everytime and her having a go at me for it so I left it there. A few weeks ago then I got in the back seat and there was fag ash all on the seats and it’s marked it. Again I told her not to or I’m just going to have to sell it (I wouldn’t though because we both needed it) and she is still smoking in there. When I bought it it still smelt fresh and inside was in great condition and now there is marks from fag ash in the seats, loose tobacco stuck in the front seats where she puts the fag box on there and oviously smoke just ruins everything. She’s also been letting kids eat and drink in there so they’ve tipped milk and other stuff in there.
    Stop being a control freak, and how did you afford a car at 16?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Who owns the car? If it's you simply don't let her use it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfaz Brepotra)
    I’m not being a control freak I just asked her not to do 2 things and it doesn’t really matter how I could afford it does it ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student-95)
    Who owns the car? If it's you simply don't let her use it.
    I paid for it but it’s in her name

ReputationRep:
    it doesn’t really matter how I could afford it does it ?
    well i know more than a few 16 yr old who would like to buy a car for themselves or their parents at that age XD

ReputationRep:
    That's really disrespectful, especially when its your car and you've asked her several times.

If that was my mother, I'm disowning her.

ReputationRep:
    I paid for it but it’s in her name
    "Having a car in someone else's name means that they are listed on the title. The purpose of a title, whether for an automobile or other property like a home, is to show ownership. This means that if you've purchased a car for someone else and placed only his/her name on the title, he/she is the legal owner of the vehicle, not you. "

As harsh as this may sound OP, it is effectively her car despite the fact you paid for it. You can't ban her from using it as she could file a report as theft (that would be a low move).
    All I can suggest is you really just have a good talk to her in private (Doing it in private emphasises the seriousness) about the smoking in/near the car.

ReputationRep:
    I’m not being a control freak I just asked her not to do 2 things and it doesn’t really matter how I could afford it does it ?
    Your 16 and you can afford a car? Sounds fishy as hell.

ReputationRep:
    Your 16 and you can afford a car? Sounds fishy as hell.
    You don't know what car it is. You can get cars for a few hundred pounds.

@OP if it's in her name you can't do much other than remind her you were kind enough to pay for it and hope she shows some respect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ray_Shadows)
    well i know more than a few 16 yr old who would like to buy a car for themselves or their parents at that age XD
    Fair enough, when my grandparents died they left me some money, that’s the only way I could afford it but I would rather them still be here and me not have the money but that’s how’s life is 😢

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePricklyOne)
    That's really disrespectful, especially when its your car and you've asked her several times.

If that was my mother, I'm disowning her.
    It’s so annoying because I’ve tried so many different ways of getting through to her that it’s disrespectful and it just not working.
    I couldn’t disown her because, we’ll shes my mam and I need my mam lol

ReputationRep:
    Fire extinguisher, she'll learn
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Do you own a car? If OP genuinely does own it, I wouldn't have anyone smoking or eating in it, cause smoking in it would make it ****ing stink and if anyone made a mess in it I'd make them clean it up. It's called respecting people's s***.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bulletzone)
    "Having a car in someone else's name means that they are listed on the title. The purpose of a title, whether for an automobile or other property like a home, is to show ownership. This means that if you've purchased a car for someone else and placed only his/her name on the title, he/she is the legal owner of the vehicle, not you. "

As harsh as this may sound OP, it is effectively her car despite the fact you paid for it. You can't ban her from using it as she could file a report as theft (that would be a low move).
    All I can suggest is you really just have a good talk to her in private (Doing it in private emphasises the seriousness) about the smoking in/near the car.
    Yeah I understand this so I think I’m just doing to have to let her carry on and deal with the mess when I have it back.
    I’ve tried asking her in so many ways it’s just not working but I’ll try asking her in privately again, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student-95)
    You don't know what car it is. You can get cars for a few hundred pounds.

@OP if it's in her name you can't do much other than remind her you were kind enough to pay for it and hope she shows some respect.
    Yeah I’ll just keep reminding her of that, I’ll probably just be wasting my breath though lol

ReputationRep:
    I realise it's hard because you're 16, but if you're old enough to buy your mother a car then you're also old enough to put conditions on that. If she doesn't treat it with respect, she doesn't get to use it.

Normally I'd give a lot of leeway for parents but your mother's behaviour is really *****y tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    I realise it's hard because you're 16, but if you're old enough to buy your mother a car then you're also old enough to put conditions on that. If she doesn't treat it with respect, she doesn't get to use it.

Normally I'd give a lot of leeway for parents but your mother's behaviour is really *****y tbh.
    Yeah I think I’ve been more than fair enough simply asking her not to smoke in there, I don’t like to try and control the situation but she won’t listen to one simply request. She’s mostly fine but whenever it comes to her smoking she is a right *****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)

Did you not read a single post which I or Meg846 made?

He/She signed her name, so she has full rights to it.

As much as a d*** move this would be, His mom could sell the car for all she cares despite her not even buying it, Why? It's in her name.

ReputationRep:
    Letting kids eat and drink in there? Which kids are these, relatives or just random children? And I would just mention it again, or say ‘I can’t let you use my car if you keep smoking in it’.

Edit: just read that the car is in your mum’s name but you paid for it; that makes it slightly more complicated. It sounds to me like your mum is taking advantage slightly as this car was bought with your money that you inherited from your grandparents’ passing and your mother knows full well that this is the case, yet she feels entitled to smoke in it and not respect your wishes when you’re actually doing her a favour. Pretty disgusting imo. I would ask her to give you the money for half of it since she’s treating it like she paid for it herself.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 15, 2018
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.