The Student Room Group

Im so much behind on GCSE's and im stressing

So as you may know the GCSE exams are starting in 5 months (May) im currently in year 11 and my story is very strange. I came to uk 1 year ago from a Scandinavian country during November, 2016. Before i came here i, i was in grade 8 (Equivalent of year 9) as we start school year or two later. Well when i came here in end november 2016, 2 months after school had started in september i was put in year 10. I also probably should mention i came here to live with my brother with my parents staying at my home country due to work reasons, so that period was very tough emotionally.

So they put me in Year 10 which is 1 year ahead of what grade I was in my old country. In my old country there isnt such a thing as GCSE or anything close to being equivalent to it. It wasnt whole one paper during last year thing (GCSE) and it was a lot easier. Ever since i started i have been playing catch up. I take 10 subjects which equals to 30 exams during may/june period. I started working my socks of as soon as i came here and my first school was so far away that i had to go there with 2 buses! Despite this i never complained and got my head down and tried to catch up.

"Luckily" in january of 2017 a school under a mile away accepted me and i started there in february. It was like starting school again, but this time closer to end of year 10. Everything was different from the way things were taught to exam boards to topics etc. Well again i got my head down and worked my ass off and by that i mean studying(NOT REVISING, I HAD TO LEARN THE CONTENT) 2-4 hours each day+ school and more during the week ends.

Starting year 11 this year im best in my biology class and my chemistry and im in second top set doing triple. Im also good at physics, good at GCSE PE, good at English literature (Yep, i came here last year and still got grade 7/A from november mocks). But despite all this im slowly becoming tired. As i have been catching up and have catched up on so many subjects, i dont want to bother doing catch up on the hard stuff like maths where im apalling. In History we do 3 different topics, and im very good at it naturally as long as i know the content. The paper 2 and 3 topics which i did with school were easy for me and i got 7-8 (A/A*) from mocks. But the paper 1 topic which is crime and punishment through time which is the hardest and the longest topic i havent done a single page on with school because i wasnt here and because of this im crap in it.

At this current point i get spikes in motivation here and there which make me say alright now im starting to catch up maths or history or germab but then i look at the date and i see 5 months left and i think its no way im catching up with all the content and also maintaining and studying the others.

I dont know what to do to be honest. I want to do medicine and i would love to get all A's or 7's but now i will be happy with 6 A's/7's. What should i do. Is 5 months enough. Please someone symphatise with me cause i am absolutely stressed right now as i dont want to let down my parents and family who sent me here in hopes of ne attending and English Uni of medicine plus 4 of my siblings are already medics. Im in so much pressure right now :frown: . Thanks for everyone who read this :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Sounds like you are doing great keep working your ass of during the exams and from what I have heard in your thread I'm sure you will get fantastic results!
Reply 2
Paragraphs would be lovely.
Original post by Texxers
Paragraphs would be lovely.

Updated the text by adding paragraphs mate :smile:
Original post by Archon9
Sounds like you are doing great keep working your ass of during the exams and from what I have heard in your thread I'm sure you will get fantastic results!

Thanks a lot mate, very encouraging words made my day for sure :smile: But do you reckon 5 months is enough to learn entire aqa maths if i do work everyday/ work very hard ?
You have plenty of time...

myself and other last year alevel students should be thinking about starting revision; especially with me sitting the new linear alevels in chem and phys. so you're fine buddy. keep up the hard work and you'll be rewarded.
honestly honestly honestly I'd say focus on your maths and English. those GCSEs are pretty much essential for anything in the UK. you want to be a doctor? Keep at it at science, again securing good grades in those 5/6 subjects (English language especially) are incredibly important.

As to the other subjects, I'm not saying a grade c or d equivalent is good enough, but don't stress too much if you're not achieving the best of the best in them, especially if you wont be continuing them as A levels.

Prioritise in all honesty, that will greatly reduce the stress factor
@FutureMedic77

Why did you come to the UK?
Do you have to pay for your school and exam fees or are they payed for by the government?
Which exam boards are you with for your GCSEs?
How and why did the school under a mile accept you?
When I was looking at colleges, all of them only asked for 5 A* - C GCSEs for A Level courses. I would say that the most important subjects at GCSE is english language, mathematics and the sciences (the last two especially if you're wanting to do medicine). Of course I'm not saying that the other subjects aren't important, but I would particularly focus on those. When applying to university, they will take your GCSE results into consideration but your A Level grades will be what matters the most so don't worry too much.
Original post by BTAnonymous
You have plenty of time...

myself and other last year alevel students should be thinking about starting revision; especially with me sitting the new linear alevels in chem and phys. so you're fine buddy. keep up the hard work and you'll be rewarded.

Thanks a lot mate :smile: Feeling much better and confident after this! :smile:
Original post by bulgylau
honestly honestly honestly I'd say focus on your maths and English. those GCSEs are pretty much essential for anything in the UK. you want to be a doctor? Keep at it at science, again securing good grades in those 5/6 subjects (English language especially) are incredibly important.

As to the other subjects, I'm not saying a grade c or d equivalent is good enough, but don't stress too much if you're not achieving the best of the best in them, especially if you wont be continuing them as A levels.

Prioritise in all honesty, that will greatly reduce the stress factor

Thanks a lot for the tips mate :smile: Very helpful and i will definately prioritise Maths and English. :smile:
Original post by Audrey18
@FutureMedic77

Why did you come to the UK?
Do you have to pay for your school and exam fees or are they payed for by the government?
Which exam boards are you with for your GCSEs?
How and why did the school under a mile accept you?

Wow thats a lot of quetions. :smile: But ill answer them. I came to UK because my end goal is to study medicine in UK. In my previous country there werent things equivelant to GCSE and doing A level equivalents there and then trying to apply here will be very disadvantageous as chance of getting to medicine even if you're born here is quite low due to high competition. I go to a normal school which is funded by a trust (i guess its an academy) and i dont pay for anything.
Originally i had applied to 3 different schools. One being the one im currently in which was the number one choice and second choice being the school far away. At first only the far away school accepted me while my current school put me on hold because i suppose it was full ? But anyway in january they finally responded my accepting me so i obviously changed to a school which is close to me.
Examboards
Biology,chemistry, physics : AQA
English Lit and Lang: AQA
GCSE PE: AQA
Maths: AQA
German:AQA
History: edexcel
ICT: OCR , cambridge nationals coursework
(1) Chill out
(2) Plan out your work
(3) Stick to (2)
Would it be possible for you to get a tutor for the topics you missed, as it seems very hard and draining having to teach yourself. If not, maybe explain this to a teacher and they might be able to do a few catch up sessions. Or you could try watching videos about the topics as it may make it easier, and get a textbook or revision guide if you haven't already.

Quick Reply

Latest