The Student Room Group

The Official 2018 Cambridge Offer Holders Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doonesbury
Unlucky dude! :smile:

So if you do miss the Churchill offer but make the typical university offer (A*AA) you would at least be put in the Summer Pool.

True, that is what I am hoping. I do believe I have the typical offer, more likely an A*A*A, but in the wrong subjects
Original post by Jjjjznjsjsjwwnwn
True, that is what I am hoping. I do believe I have the typical offer, more likely an A*A*A, but in the wrong subjects

There's no "wrong" subjects for the typical offer :smile:
Yea the main problem is that my offer is subject specific. I believe I will exceed the typical offer for my course but may get the A in the wrong subject say
Original post by wolfmoon88
Not controversial at all imo, glad you are happy with your insurance :smile: I'm sure you didn't flop to such a degree :yep: or flop at all! Stay positive!

Posted from TSR Mobile

PRSOM ☺️
This is very much a ritual for me, I do this all the time! Here it goes! TOMMOROW IT'S TECHNICALLY TOMMOROW! WHAT IS THIS FEELING?! I CANNOT BREATHE, MY BELLY IS MAKING NOISES! HELP ME! MY LIFE IS OVER, THEY'RE GOING TO REJECT ME! NOOOOOOOO! ALL THAT STUDYING AND REVISION COMES TO NOTHING, WELL DONE MAN! ARGHHHH HELP ME, WHATEVER MAXIMALLY GREAT BEING IS OUT THERE, PLEASE HELP!?!?
Original post by CafeMusic
This is very much a ritual for me, I do this all the time! Here it goes! TOMMOROW IT'S TECHNICALLY TOMMOROW! WHAT IS THIS FEELING?! I CANNOT BREATHE, MY BELLY IS MAKING NOISES! HELP ME! MY LIFE IS OVER, THEY'RE GOING TO REJECT ME! NOOOOOOOO! ALL THAT STUDYING AND REVISION COMES TO NOTHING, WELL DONE MAN! ARGHHHH HELP ME, WHATEVER MAXIMALLY GREAT BEING IS OUT THERE, PLEASE HELP!?!?

Its okay, chill out. You probably got the grades and even if you didn't its not the end of the world
Does anyone know how lenient (if that's the correct word) with grades Cam are re "extenuating circumstances"? I know I have not gotten A*AA. I just know it. But I have gotten in touch with Cam to let them know WHY I've likely done poorly in my A levels. What can I do? Can I call them and try to convince them that I will do well? Can a teacher? (One of my teachers is a Cam alumni and is the one who pushed me to apply) Or should I just cut my losses and accept that I'm likely looking at not getting into Cam, and potentially any uni, since clearing unis won't know anything about my circumstances?
Firstly Good Luck!
Just wanted to say a few things, if you don’t get in do not worry. I am not saying don’t be upset, i get it it’s upsetting, but not the end of the world! Not going to Oxbridge doesn’t really make that much difference in the grand scheme of things
Very very few jobs hire exclusively mostly Oxbridge.
A SIGNIFICANT proportion of DoSes,Professors and Lecturers etc. don’t have degrees from Oxbridge, MIT Harvard so if you wanted to pursue academia this is not the end. You will love any uni you go to, as a side note for those who got pooled or will be summer pooled you will love the college u end up at eventually.
For Maths people, don’t worry if you did not get 1,1, you van still get in !
Original post by CafeMusic

What a mood
Original post by Mo_Barker
Does anyone know how lenient (if that's the correct word) with grades Cam are re "extenuating circumstances"? I know I have not gotten A*AA. I just know it. But I have gotten in touch with Cam to let them know WHY I've likely done poorly in my A levels. What can I do? Can I call them and try to convince them that I will do well? Can a teacher? (One of my teachers is a Cam alumni and is the one who pushed me to apply) Or should I just cut my losses and accept that I'm likely looking at not getting into Cam, and potentially any uni, since clearing unis won't know anything about my circumstances?

If you have already told Cam about your extenuating circumstances then I would just wait, there's not much else you could do at this point. They will look at your application holistically and decide on whether they'll let you into the course in the case of a near miss/missed offer. I wouldn't call them or ask a teacher to call them to assure them that you could do well on the course because Cam knows that; they gave you an offer after all.

If you do need to apply through clearing, I would be ready to explain your extenuating circumstances and such on the phone when you are calling universities.

Fingers Crossed it will all work out! All the best! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you clarify if you or your referee have already notified your college about your circumstances?

If you have then they will certainly take them into account. You should only need to contact them again if their decision is still pending tomorrow morning.

Good luck for tomorrow. I'm sure everything will be fine :smile: but if necessary, yes, you can tell clearing universities about the circumstances too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don’t know if I should be comforted or scared that by this time tomorrow we’ll all know our fate.
So after seeing the OCR leak, I’m hopeful but not confident. At least its progress!

I'm not an expert, but I have heard many times that extenuating circumstances during exam period must be notified about prior to getting you grades. They will not accept them after you have received your grades. However, I don't know if this means they wanted it during exam period or if anytime before tmrw is fine.

But try not to predict your grades too much! Before my IB results I was sure I missed my offer, but I met it. You really have no idea how you did. And you're probably a good student, and we're way more likely to overestimate the effect of a tiny mistake on our overall grade.

Despite that, I'll still wish you luck!
Original post by physicsmaths
Firstly Good Luck!
Just wanted to say a few things, if you don’t get in do not worry. I am not saying don’t be upset, i get it it’s upsetting, but not the end of the world! Not going to Oxbridge doesn’t really make that much difference in the grand scheme of things
A SIGNIFICANT proportion of DoSes,Professors and Lecturers etc. don’t have degrees from Oxbridge, MIT Harvard so if you wanted to pursue academia this is not the end. You will love any uni you go to, as a side note for those who got pooled or will be summer pooled you will love the college u end up at eventually.

Odd question, but are there actually some jobs only available to Oxbridge students? Or did you say that in the case that there may be some you don't know about?
Reply 935
Original post by Katarinanokat
Odd question, but are there actually some jobs only available to Oxbridge students? Or did you say that in the case that there may be some you don't know about?

Not really, although here are some sectors like law, banking and consulting where an Oxbridge degree may put you in good stead with the best fits in the business.

For technical roles like STEM, university brand name doesn't matter, it's more how good you are at the field
I'm not an expert, but I have heard many times that extenuating circumstances during exam period must be notified about prior to getting you grades. They will not accept them after you have received your grades. However, I don't know if this means they wanted it during exam period or if anytime before tmrw is fine.

But try not to predict your grades too much! Before my IB results I was sure I missed my offer, but I met it. You really have no idea how you did. And you're probably a good student, and we're way more likely to overestimate the effect of a tiny mistake on our overall grade.

Despite that, I'll still wish you luck!

You can notify extenuating circumstances at any time, but doing it this close to results day isn't a good idea as the decisions have (mostly) already been made.

A *very* few lazy recruiters do specifically filter on Oxbridge. Usually boutique management consultants or similar.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by e^iπ
Not really, although here are some sectors like law, banking and consulting where an Oxbridge degree may put you in good stead with the best fits in the business.

For technical roles like STEM, university brand name doesn't matter, it's more how good you are at the field

Good to know! I was getting worried about some underground illuminati only allowing Oxbridge graduates to become PM or something.

Spoiler

Original post by physicsmaths
Firstly Good Luck!

cheers fam!
Original post by CiaranM
So after seeing the OCR leak, I’m hopeful but not confident. At least its progress!

what's this leak

Quick Reply