English Literature GCSE Coursework - Context

Watch
mundosinfin
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
For my English lit coursework for the literary heritage paper it says on the mark scheme that contextual references must be included in the essay - I have tried to do this (I have added about 5) but my teacher still says there isn't enough. Does anyone have any advice on how much context is needed and how to fit context into the essay? It would be much appreciated
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mundosinfin)
For my English lit coursework for the literary heritage paper it says on the mark scheme that contextual references must be included in the essay - I have tried to do this (I have added about 5) but my teacher still says there isn't enough. Does anyone have any advice on how much context is needed and how to fit context into the essay? It would be much appreciated
What books/poems are you writing about?

Historical context - about the period of time in which the book/poem is set or was written - is good. Literary context - how details about the author's life relates to the text - is also good.

You need to make sure that you never just put in a paragraph of context - it should be woven in with and contributing to your textual analysis, rather than distracting from it. At A-level, I aimed for 1-2 pieces of context per paragraph, but I don't know what is needed for your particular exam board and qualification.
mundosinfin
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
What books/poems are you writing about?

Historical context - about the period of time in which the book/poem is set or was written - is good. Literary context - how details about the author's life relates to the text - is also good.

You need to make sure that you never just put in a paragraph of context - it should be woven in with and contributing to your textual analysis, rather than distracting from it. At A-level, I aimed for 1-2 pieces of context per paragraph, but I don't know what is needed for your particular exam board and qualification.
I’m writing about Romeo and Juliet. Given that the essay is supposed to be relatively short (under 2000 at least) and mine is 2400 (I have 1 piece of context in every paragraph, except 2 - in one of them 0 - it’s repeated from another paragraph - and in one of them 2).
I believe it’s historical context they’re looking for; however, I may have a look at literary context. (I’m not sure this relates as much though)
Also yes I’ve woven them in pretty well I think as they contribute to my analysis of the points and help debate and answer the question
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (252)
39.75%
Take autumn exams (188)
29.65%
Look for a job (21)
3.31%
Consider an apprenticeship (25)
3.94%
Take a year out (110)
17.35%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (38)
5.99%

Watched Threads