The Student Room Group

Blood clot? Paranoid?

Ok so, Ive been on the pill for almost a year now and I know you can have an increased chance of blood clots. For the past 2 days ive had like a sharp pain that comes and goes in my left leg just below the knee. Im probably just being paranoid but im unsure whether to see a doctor as it has only been bothering me for the past 2 days and the pain comes and goes. Has anyone had any similar experiences or know what a blood clot feels like?
Hello,

I’m a final year medical student and as a disclaimer I do not pretend to be a substitute for a history and examination in person.
Are you on the combined pill or the mini pill? Only the combined pill increases the risk of clots and the risk is usually most increased in the first few months of taking the pill and any prescriber will check you have no other risk factors before prescribing it.
Furthermore, clots (or DVTs) tend to cause pain in the calves. They will also feel hot to touch and be tender and are often red and swollen.
If you are concerned about the risk of clots, you might want to consider an alternative contraceptive such as the coil.

Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Ok so, Ive been on the pill for almost a year now and I know you can have an increased chance of blood clots. For the past 2 days ive had like a sharp pain that comes and goes in my left leg just below the knee. Im probably just being paranoid but im unsure whether to see a doctor as it has only been bothering me for the past 2 days and the pain comes and goes. Has anyone had any similar experiences or know what a blood clot feels like?

If you are worried I would call your surgery and explain. I had a similar experience (on pill and having pain I'm my leg after a flight) they checked me out and everything was fine, but they agreed it was a good idea to check with them. You're not a doctor so you can't always know what's a normal pain and what's a concerning one. If you're not sure it's best to get it checked. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest