Is Additional Mathematics needed for Medical School?

Watch
Ashlynn Cheshire
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I'm from the Caribbean, 18, and currently in Upper 6 (you would call it year 12 I believe). For the University of the West Indies Medical programme, Physics, Chemistry and Biology at CSEC (same as GSCE I believe) is required and Unit 1 and Unit 2 of Chemistry, Biology and Physics/Mathematics is required at the CAPE/A-Level. I have all these subjects and am currently doing Unit 2 of Chemistry, Physics and Biology.

I picked up Additional Mathematics at the CSEC level in private when I first started Sixth form because I was told it would help me with A-Level Physics. When I started I was told I would not need to do the exam as I was just doing the subject because I was lost in Physics with certain calculations.

Now, my teacher wants me to do the exam and my mother has signed me up for it. The problem is, I don't want to do the exam, especially now since I understand what bothered me in Unit 1 Physics. The Dean of the medical faculty for one of the university's campuses told my mother that Additional Mathematics is a good subject to have for med.

I am months away from doing an exam I do not want to do. I am also unable to give that subject the attention it needs in order for me to pass it as I'm focused on the compulsory subjects (Chem, Phys, Bio and Caribbean Studies). These are the subjects I need to do well in to be accepted into the university and to hopefully get a scholarship.

Part of me is saying to try to cram two years of work into a week to do well in the exam because my mom already spent a lot of money for the classes and to sign me up for the exam (this is because I'm doing it privately). The other part of me wants to forget about it and focus on the more important subjects.

I have expressed some of this to my mother but after what the Dean said and some of her friends she hasn't really listened to me.

Will Additional Mathematics really be useful for medical school or my future studies?

Also I'm planning on taking a gap year so if it is I can just do it then right? I know this is long but I would really appreciate your help.
vela1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ashlynn Cheshire)
So I'm from the Caribbean, 18, and currently in Upper 6 (you would call it year 12 I believe). For the University of the West Indies Medical programme, Physics, Chemistry and Biology at CSEC (same as GSCE I believe) is required and Unit 1 and Unit 2 of Chemistry, Biology and Physics/Mathematics is required at the CAPE/A-Level. I have all these subjects and am currently doing Unit 2 of Chemistry, Physics and Biology.

I picked up Additional Mathematics at the CSEC level in private when I first started Sixth form because I was told it would help me with A-Level Physics. When I started I was told I would not need to do the exam as I was just doing the subject because I was lost in Physics with certain calculations.

Now, my teacher wants me to do the exam and my mother has signed me up for it. The problem is, I don't want to do the exam, especially now since I understand what bothered me in Unit 1 Physics. The Dean of the medical faculty for one of the university's campuses told my mother that Additional Mathematics is a good subject to have for med.

I am months away from doing an exam I do not want to do. I am also unable to give that subject the attention it needs in order for me to pass it as I'm focused on the compulsory subjects (Chem, Phys, Bio and Caribbean Studies). These are the subjects I need to do well in to be accepted into the university and to hopefully get a scholarship.

Part of me is saying to try to cram two years of work into a week to do well in the exam because my mom already spent a lot of money for the classes and to sign me up for the exam (this is because I'm doing it privately). The other part of me wants to forget about it and focus on the more important subjects.

I have expressed some of this to my mother but after what the Dean said and some of her friends she hasn't really listened to me.

Will Additional Mathematics really be useful for medical school or my future studies?

Also I'm planning on taking a gap year so if it is I can just do it then right? I know this is long but I would really appreciate your help.
Nope will not benefit you in the slightest. You're doing 3 sciences at A-Level equivalent, so you should be able to apply to any medical school in the UK (assuming your qualifications are recognised by all the universities).
junior.doctor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In the UK, no, not needed at all (most universities don’t require any kind of maths A-level never mind additional maths).

However if you plan to study in the Caribbean or elsewhere that’s not the UK, then it’s entirely possible. And because this site is UK-based, we’re unlikely to know the answer.

You say that a dean of a medical school where you are has told you it would be useful? Sounds like a pretty good indicator to me if hat’s where you intend to apply.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (192)
14.29%
I'm not sure (59)
4.39%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.24%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.75%
I'm not a current university student (663)
49.33%

Watched Threads