English lit revision Watch

sadi3x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
im studying frankenstein, Macbeth and an inspector calls and I don't know how to revise Frankenstein its so difficult, I have the CGP revision book but I'm just not absorbing any of it?
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sadi3x)
im studying frankenstein, Macbeth and an inspector calls and I don't know how to revise Frankenstein its so difficult, I have the CGP revision book but I'm just not absorbing any of it?
Mr Bruffs Frankenstein channel and book?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDQs...Eey6rtQmZbFu6G
EllieCeeJay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sadi3x)
Copying the notes out of the revision book might help, along with highlighting the revision guide itself. Also, look at past papers and the questions that come up, do the plans for those questions using all the materials you have.

Also, have you read Frankenstein? It always helps to read the text you're studying (no shade meant here, but I know that most of my GCSE English class never read our texts, and reading it really, really helps. Read it more than once, too. Highlight the book. Annotate the book with pieces you might find useful. Even if you've been given a copy from school, Wordsworth Editions are super super cheap).
jennifugh
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Re-read Frankenstein. In terms of revision time, this part of the year is best for re-reading your English tests as it refreshes your mind but feels like wasted revision later. Mr Bruff helps along with websites like Spark Notes. Then practice essay writing. The more you practice the better you get, the same as with learning an instrument
emily_moss_xx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For Frankenstein, I'd 100% recommend making large A3 size mindmaps for each character. The CGP books are at a very basic level (4/5 ish) so use their character analysis as a guide to prompt your ideas but aim to go far beyond what you find in the CGP guide.
Google some key quotes either by theme or by character. Analyse these quotes yourself and do in-depth word-level for each of them (pick apart individual words/phrases). This is excellent essay/exam practice.

It's really critical that if you understand the social/political context of Frankenstein (The AO3 for AQA) in addition to societal norms in the early 1800s aswell as Gothic conventions (It is a Gothic Novel). For example: What does Mary Shelley say about society and their attitudes towards appearances through Victor and the monster? What does Mary Shelley say about femininity through Elizabeth and Justine? Use these ideas and responses as a guide to analysing some quotes possibly from a different perspective. If it can be justified, it is always correct. Search for key symbols, messages, motifs and phrases in the novel and pay close attention to the quotes you find with the most language/structural features. These quotes will be easier to word-level analyse in an exam.

Once you start properly revising into it and analysing each and every key quote you will become a master at it. Trust me.
Don't bother with revision notes for the story itself, they'll never be in the detail you'll need to ace an exam and achieve top grades. I can't stress enough how little benefit writing out the CGP book will be for you. Don't bother; just get straight to the revision.

Watch a summary video online first or read the summary at the back of the CGP book.

Good Luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (67)
15.8%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (43)
10.14%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (80)
18.87%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (61)
14.39%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (46)
10.85%
How can I be the best version of myself? (127)
29.95%

Watched Threads