The Student Room Group

Windows 10 laptop does windows update ALL the time it's annoying

My laptop is constantly updating every fewdays or so, it slows down my laptop a ton and while it's doing it sometimes if I click a URL the disk completely overloads and my laptop freezes so I have to force shut down.

I have set it to manual/disabled it, as well as put wifi bandwidth limiter on it. IT STILL UPDATES, google is useless, as far as I know it's impossible to get rid of windows updates.

Please can someone give me a solution that will make it so windows never updates for me EVER again, my laptop works perfectly until it updates, the updates do nothing anyway.

Please no one say downgrade to windows 7, thanks.
Get a Mac
Reply 2
AFAIK Windows Update cannot be disabled completely. You can use policy manager (in administrative tools) to switch to manual updates, but if you do Windows will still notify you about those updates regularly and will automatically install any pending updates on each reboot at minimum.
Try using ShutUp10. It's got the option to disable automatic updates (and a llot of other crap) in it.
Reply 4
Original post by Edgemaster
Try using ShutUp10. It's got the option to disable automatic updates (and a llot of other crap) in it.

That sounds perfect, will try it out, hope it works.
Reply 5
The way I see it there is a 100% chance my laptop will go faster if I disable windows update, vs the 0% chance i will get 'attacked', I don't even know what attack even means, I don't go on suspicious websites.

I don't even know what CPU security issues even means, my laptop stays on my desk, i turn it on and visit websites, then I turn off my laptop before bed, what special CPU security is needed for that.

These windows updates ruin my morning, everytime I wake up and turn on my laptop I have to force shut down twice as it freezes because of some random windows update taking up all my disk %. It all seems unnecessary to me, windows update is the only problem here crashing my laptop and slowing everything down. It will be a Christmas miracle when these updates stop.
Reply 6
I don't shut down mid update, my laptop freezes not responding and nothing works, I HAVE to force shut down or it will stay frozen forever, I'm casually browsing the web when it freezes, not even ctrl alt delete works, completely not responding everywhere.

It is basically begging me to force shut down my laptop when it freezes everything and makes everything non responsive, nothing else I can do, even waiting doesn't fix it.

I let it do it's thing but it keeps wanting more and more, I let it update then it is asking for more and more, never ending like a disease spreading getting worse wanting more and more updates.

It's not that I'm not concerned about security, it's that nobody is going to attack my laptop, and nobody even knows how to. Someone smart enough to do that won't waste their time on it, they would be working some 6 figure salary job not messing with students laptops, so I have faith in human nature.

Come on now, I'm not seeing a professional for something I can fix myself.

Thanks for the information though I appreciate it. If anything I learnt a lot about windows updates. I really have to go now.
Reply 7
Many people I work with disable updates from the start. as long as you are not on dodgy sites you should be fine
Original post by Sayless
I don't shut down mid update, my laptop freezes not responding and nothing works, I HAVE to force shut down or it will stay frozen forever, I'm casually browsing the web when it freezes, not even ctrl alt delete works, completely not responding everywhere.

It is basically begging me to force shut down my laptop when it freezes everything and makes everything non responsive, nothing else I can do, even waiting doesn't fix it.

I let it do it's thing but it keeps wanting more and more, I let it update then it is asking for more and more, never ending like a disease spreading getting worse wanting more and more updates.

It's not that I'm not concerned about security, it's that nobody is going to attack my laptop, and nobody even knows how to. Someone smart enough to do that won't waste their time on it, they would be working some 6 figure salary job not messing with students laptops, so I have faith in human nature.

Come on now, I'm not seeing a professional for something I can fix myself.

Thanks for the information though I appreciate it. If anything I learnt a lot about windows updates. I really have to go now.

That's not how attacks work, the hackers or virus or whatever automatically try and get into any computer possible - they won't know whose it is but can find it over the internet.

How old is the computer? Is the hard drive nearly full?

One thing you could try is wipe it then reinstall Windows 10 cleanly with all the current updates, which will probably run more smoothly than the current patched/fragmented OS you have now.
Reply 9
After looking at this more logically it makes sense to get the updates over with, so my laptop is up to date now. When making this post I was a little peeved so I wasn't seeing things clearly, thanks for convincing me.

It seems it's updated fine, it says up to date when I check the windows update section of settings. And yes I was looking at the task manager disk, I was looking at the task manager before my laptop froze and I saw something made the disk space highlight fully RED which I've never seen before, usually it's orange, so think that was what crashed it.

Quick Reply

Latest