18 and have no chosen path in life

Watch
inputlagger
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I’ve been at college for 2 years now, in my first year I quit so I didn’t gain anything from it; now in my second year I’m thinking of quitting. I’m currently studying plumbing, but it doesn’t quite interest me. I potentially want to go to uni but I have no idea what to do, I’m also aware that I need qualifications to do so.
I’ve always wanted to do something public services related like the police. I just don’t know what college course I would be interested in to help me achieve this.
Any help?
username3713130
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I know it's easy to think that people have things sorted out but VERY FEW people at 18 know exactly what they're going to do. Some colleges do public service courses if you're interested in the Police. Or alternatively you could do non-specific A-levels and then go onto to do criminology at Uni. To my knowledge the police just want you to have a degree, they aren't so concerned about the type of degree although criminology could give you an advantage.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Don't be so afraid about your future, very few people in your age does not know this, as they begin being responsible for their own at 18 and to cut the cord to the parents - who supported you the whole time - step by step. As you are so unsure, I recommend you to take a gap year or something like that to see what you really desire for yourself and what kind of profession fits to you.
University of Gloucestershire Official
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's really common to feel this way at 18, so try not to worry too much. We would always recommend that you try and follow something you enjoy. What is it that's making you want to drop out of college? Some universities (like us!) offer degrees in Policing (which you can read about on our website), so you could enjoy the university experience whilst also training to become a qualified police officer. You would need some qualifications for this - which would be great motivation to stay in college a bit longer, and you can check on the UCAS website to see if your plumbing course would give you enough UCAS points for that. Kolijax's idea of a Criminology course is also great, especially if you're interested in Psychology at all. Have you considered other public services like social work, for example?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm 25 and still have no idea what I'm doing, so...don't worry about it too much.

At least you haven't used up all your SFE funding like me! I would suggest taking time to consider what you want to do (as long as necessary, it may be a few months or a few years) before applying to uni, since the funding isn't endless :x additionally going to uni a little later with greater clarity of purpose will be a great help in your academic achievement, as you'll be able to more seriously prepare for your coursework submissions and exams, rather than just "going through the motions" which isn't so uncommon with school leavers who just go directly into uni "because" (this is from experience).
Becky.xxx
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You aren’t alone. At this age it can be very confusing to know what you want to do with the rest of your life. I’m 18, last year of college and hope to go to uni, where i will be doing a completely different topic to what I studied in college.
I don’t think you should quit the course you are on right now.. stick at it even if it is boring it stick at it and get that qualification so at least you have something as a last resort.
To help you figure out what you want to do, maybe you could do some volunteering in different places just to explore different options and see if any take your fancy. All worth a try ayy! x x
Analyst89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Don't worry, you're still very young!

You can study an access to higher education course which takes you one year which could lead you to uni with these subjects at a college:

-engineering
-computing
-Science
-business
-sports science
-humanities
-some more however I can't think of one

You could study an open university degree online with any subject of your choice.
sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Very few people have a planned career path at any age. I never did, and after university I spent many sleepless nights wondering what on earth I was going to do with myself.

I still don't now even though I have a few years experience in my field. Not one of my jobs has been planned, i've never thought "I want to do this role, I will apply specifically for this type of position". I've just fallen into opportunities and taken them as they came.

For the vast majority of jobs as long as you've got a degree, it doesn't really matter what it's in. I work in Asset Management yet I have a History degree, which has no relevance at all. For that reason i'd suggest thinking about what subject you've enjoyed studying and what you'd like to learn more about. I picked History as it was my favourite subject at GCSE/A Level.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.61%
Excited but a bit nervous (127)
44.88%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.72%
I'm really nervous (56)
19.79%

Watched Threads