The Student Room Group

I’m starting to hate myself :(

I’m a guy and I just cant seem to stop feeling about myself and my life. I’ve wasted so much time not doing things I wanted, I regret making friends with the wrong people during school and I wish I took up my hobbies a lot earlier since I still kind of suck at them.

I dont really like my skin colour and I hate that I have to shave all the time because facial hair makes me look bad but if i shave everyday my skin gets rough and looks even worse so i have to shave, keep my facial hair for a few days then shave again.. so I only really like my face one day out of 3. And also I have loads of body hair and scars from spots on my upper back, both of which are holding me back from having sex since I’m concious of my body.

There’s this guy I know and it makes me really sad because hes everything I wish I was… he has a nice face, his skin colour is perfect, he doesn’t have to shave, perfect amount of body hair, and he just seems to have his life together. He’s good at all the things I wish i was good at and it sucks! :frown:
I understand how you feel; I'm exactly like that.
(edited 6 years ago)
I can't say much because there are many times when I hate myself, but I found that its better to find that one thing that you love unconditionally and hold on to that.
solution is simple buy a beard trimmer
you can get one for about 20 pounds
hope this helps
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I’m a guy and I just cant seem to stop feeling about myself and my life. I’ve wasted so much time not doing things I wanted, I regret making friends with the wrong people during school and I wish I took up my hobbies a lot earlier since I still kind of suck at them.

I dont really like my skin colour and I hate that I have to shave all the time because facial hair makes me look bad but if i shave everyday my skin gets rough and looks even worse so i have to shave, keep my facial hair for a few days then shave again.. so I only really like my face one day out of 3. And also I have loads of body hair and scars from spots on my upper back, both of which are holding me back from having sex since I’m concious of my body.

There’s this guy I know and it makes me really sad because hes everything I wish I was… he has a nice face, his skin colour is perfect, he doesn’t have to shave, perfect amount of body hair, and he just seems to have his life together. He’s good at all the things I wish i was good at and it sucks! :frown:

Might help to get some counseling to guide you in working through this. Also, you could try using a moisturiser on your face (like E45) and see what it's like using a different type of razor to reduce the rough skin issue.
Just remember that everyonehastheir own problems/anxieties. Even the ones who ooze confidence and ego probs have things they hate about themselves. Focus on the good bits 👍
Reply 7
what works for me and hopefully will work for you too:
- 'fake it until you make it' method
instead of saying self-deprecating jokes like 'hahah im such a piece of sh-t' say stuff like 'bc im just a cool bean like that *fingerguns' 'i know my beauty made you blind' and other cheesy sh-t, whatever works better for you and after a while you kinda start believing what you're saying

- treat. yo. self.
take time to yourself, use lotion to make your skin smooth, work out, have a nice haircut, apply facemask to make your face fresher etc, you'll start to feel all fancy and nice

- it's never too late
stop crying bc of the past, learn from those mistakes - you wanna do a new hobby? start doing it! wanna have new friends? try to find ppl with similar interests - par example if you're into golf, go to a golf club or idk

with these steps, you'll hopefully gain some confidence and believe me when i say i've seen people who might not have been the most beautiful people on Earth but!!!! they had confidence!!!! and if you have confidence, people won't notice your looks that much!!! especially if you try to bring the best out of yourself!!!!

i know what it's like to feel that way so i hope that state of yours will alleviate bc self-hate took way too much time from my life that i could have used for better things
Reply 8
Original post by Gambit150
solution is simple buy a beard trimmer
you can get one for about 20 pounds
hope this helps

That’s not the same as a clean shave

Original post by Kindred
Might help to get some counseling to guide you in working through this. Also, you could try using a moisturiser on your face (like E45) and see what it's like using a different type of razor to reduce the rough skin issue.

Thanks, I have considered it and might give it a try… I take good care of my skin and have tried a huge range of products and sadly this is best stage I’m at. I’ve considered laser - I know it’ll be expensive but you can’t put a price on happiness… and 20 minutes extra in bed each morning lol
Reply 9
Original post by suga(r)
what works for me and hopefully will work for you too:
- 'fake it until you make it' method
instead of saying self-deprecating jokes like 'hahah im such a piece of sh-t' say stuff like 'bc im just a cool bean like that *fingerguns' 'i know my beauty made you blind' and other cheesy sh-t, whatever works better for you and after a while you kinda start believing what you're saying

- treat. yo. self.
take time to yourself, use lotion to make your skin smooth, work out, have a nice haircut, apply facemask to make your face fresher etc, you'll start to feel all fancy and nice

- it's never too late
stop crying bc of the past, learn from those mistakes - you wanna do a new hobby? start doing it! wanna have new friends? try to find ppl with similar interests - par example if you're into golf, go to a golf club or idk

with these steps, you'll hopefully gain some confidence and believe me when i say i've seen people who might not have been the most beautiful people on Earth but!!!! they had confidence!!!! and if you have confidence, people won't notice your looks that much!!! especially if you try to bring the best out of yourself!!!!

i know what it's like to feel that way so i hope that state of yours will alleviate bc self-hate took way too much time from my life that i could have used for better things

Oh I’m a big fan of fake it till you make it! Love your take on it, I’ve never tried telling myself stuff.. I guess if I keep saying it eventually I’ll hopefully believe it. I’ll give that a try :smile:

You’re right!! Thanks so much for your advice, honestly can’t tell you how much I appreciate it. I realised I’ve come too far to fall back into that spiral, when I look at the past and think about why I miss out on so much it was because of self-hate. I think I’ve caught it in the early stages this time, I still occasionally look in the mirror and like what I see, I can still list good traits about myself (although it’s been getting harder recently) but it’s something to work with, I guess it’s all about seeing the potential in yourself then working hard to get there.

I hope things are better for you and stay that way! Thanks again :smile:
Befriend the guy who had the stuff you want and he will get you to where you want faster as hes there already
Perfect skin colour....may I ask you to further elaborate on this please since I'm struggling to comprehend how someone can find one skin colour to be "Perfect"?
Original post by HaveFa1th
Befriend the guy who had the stuff you want and he will get you to where you want faster as hes there already

Tried this and ended up going crazy, ever had a crush on someone? It felt like that but without the whole wanting to have sex part
Original post by JDieMstr
Perfect skin colour....may I ask you to further elaborate on this please since I'm struggling to comprehend how someone can find one skin colour to be "Perfect"?

As much as I hate to admit it and I hope this doesn’t come across as racist but we all know white people have a certain privilege and as unfair and wrong as I think it is, I kind of want it.
Original post by Anonymous
As much as I hate to admit it and I hope this doesn’t come across as racist but we all know white people have a certain privilege and as unfair and wrong as I think it is, I kind of want it.

lol no no ahahahaha I mean if you look at it as "privilege" then maybe but if you look at it from in terms of aesthetic, you're far from being right. There are shades of "white" which I do find pleasing to the eyes but in general, nope nope. Just alright looking. Skin colour is taken too seriously these days...*sigh*
Original post by JDieMstr
lol no no ahahahaha I mean if you look at it as "privilege" then maybe but if you look at it from in terms of aesthetic, you're far from being right. There are shades of "white" which I do find pleasing to the eyes but in general, nope nope. Just alright looking. Skin colour is taken too seriously these days...*sigh*

Mmmmh I’m not a huge fan of pale, light is alright, medium white is great but I guess any skin colour looks great if there’s no blemishes which is also what I meant. From an aesthetic point, I think olive wins. I don’t want to be white, I wish I was just a shade or 2 lighter with a glow… sadly you’re right but it really does make a huge difference to how people see you and even more sadly, how they treat you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending