NellyMelly
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
If you find a replacement tenant after you have paid the 2nd (out of 3) rent instalment, how would that work? Is the landlord required to give you your money back, and your deposit or does the new tenant pay you directly?. Also if the tenant is paying money and the contract is in 3 instalments will that replacement be unacceptable?
This is private student accommodation not a house.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by NellyMelly)
If you find a replacement tenant after you have paid the 2nd (out of 3) rent instalment, how would that work? Is the landlord required to give you your money back, and your deposit or does the new tenant pay you directly?. Also if the tenant is paying money and the contract is in 3 instalments will that replacement be unacceptable?
This is private student accommodation not a house.
You need to look at the tenancy contract.

The contract terms and conditions will define what happens in this situation whether you are entitled to a refund from the landlord or not. In most cases, the new tenant will acquire a new contract with the landlord and as a goodwill gesture, the landlord should release you from yours with a commensurate refund less an appropriate amount for costs incurred (which should be minimal).

In any case, for insurance purposes, the new tenant must be declared to the insurers or the buildings and liability insurances may be invalidated.

Further, if you do not terminate your existing contract and a new tenant takes your place, then you are sub-letting which will almost certainly break the existing contract terms and conditions.

In which case you will still be fully liable for any consequences not only from the landlord, but also the insurance providers and other tenants who may be duly affected in the event of needing an insurance claim for whatever reason.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?