Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been rejected by Cam and I have been looking through some threads and I hve seen some comments about once you go in the real world going to Oxbridge doesn't really matter. But in my opinion I do believe Oxbridge does give you a boost in the future.
    Thoughts??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seungy_Han)
    I've been rejected by Cam and I have been looking through some threads and I hve seen some comments about once you go in the real world going to Oxbridge doesn't really matter. But in my opinion I do believe Oxbridge does give you a boost in the future.
    Thoughts??
    What are you basing your opinion on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forecast)
    What are you basing your opinion on?
    The fact that Oxbridge graduates earn £200,000 more in a lifetime than other Russell group gradutes. Also a lot of employers would be looking for someone who studied at one of the best universities in the world?

ReputationRep:
    It's more likely that the traits Oxbridge look for (an ability to think more deeply about your subject and to think critically and argue under pressure) are the ones that will give you an advantage in life rather than the degree itself.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that Oxbridge graduates earn £200,000 more in a lifetime than other Russell group gradutes.
    I think you missed out the most important bit there: 'on average'

ReputationRep:
    Not sure how adding "on average" would change my point

ReputationRep:
    Because billionaires made will change the average completely.

It’s like everyone getting 1 percent in an exam and 2 people getting 100 percent. Suddenly the average is 60 percent.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Not sure how adding "on average" would change my point

Look at the post I made above.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that Oxbridge graduates earn £200,000 more in a lifetime than other Russell group gradutes. Also a lot of employers would be looking for someone who studied at one of the best universities in the world?
    You need to get your information from better sources, brotha

ReputationRep:
    Thoughts??
    Oxbridge doesnt make a difference to your future. University is just a tick. It’s all experience from then in.

Maybe in the beginning with no experience a prestigious uni will give you some sort of advantage. After that though it’s all experience.

Depends what you did with the degree you achieved. Don’t waste it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    You need to get your information from better sources, brotha
    I think the Telegraph isn't that bad of a place to get information?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfaz Brepotra)
    Look at the post I made above.
    Yes, the average can be boosted by a few individuals but there is no denying that Oxbridge do earn more than other average graduates

ReputationRep:
    I think the Telegraph isn't that bad of a place to get information?
    Erm, not really. It has parroted some bizarre claims about salary over the years.

I'm surprised that you put up with a poorly made slideshow on the Torygraph when the BBC could have drawn your attention with a far flashier article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-41693230 (whose data, incidentally, is more reliable).

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the average can be boosted by a few individuals but there is no denying that Oxbridge do earn more than other average graduates
    Forget about oxbridge, as long as you go to a prestigious well known uni. It doesn’t make a difference.

Weather you come from oxbridge, Warwick, Durham, Exeter, LsE, St. Andrews. Bla bla bla.

In the end it’s what you did after your degree.

A lot of the worlds billionaires or successful people don’t have any education to be honest.

Just look at the film with Matt Damon ‘good will hunting’.

There’s no need to be snob.

Weather you went to a Russel group or weather you went to southbank or London met. In the end it’s the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    Erm, not really. It has parroted some bizarre claims about salary over the years.

I'm surprised that you put up with a poorly made slideshow on the Torygraph when the BBC could have drawn your attention with a far flashier article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-41693230 (whose data, incidentally, is more reliable).
    Thanks for the reliable article. The article still supports my opinon on that Oxbridge graduates do earn more than most russell group universities

ReputationRep:
    I think an important piece of information is what are your other unis and what are you studying for? Yeah Oxbridge graduates might make more money compared to other RG but if you're off to do economics at LSE or something like that then the difference is not worth considering.

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge doesnt make a difference to your future. University is just a tick. It’s all experience from then in.
    You seem to be ignoring ability, which is somethign that gives you a better chance of getting into Oxbridge. There are plenty of bright and capable peopel that go to other universities though - Oxbridge has limited places and there's the variability of interviews and exams.

Maybe in the beginning with no experience a prestigious uni will give you some sort of advantage. After that though it’s all experience.
    It also depends where you want to work. Well-known universities will give some advantage internationally.

ReputationRep:
    Forget about oxbridge, as long as you go to a prestigious well known uni. It doesn’t make a difference.

Weather you come from oxbridge, Warwick, Durham, Exeter, LsE, St. Andrews. Bla bla bla.

In the end it’s what you did after your degree.

A lot of the worlds billionaires or successful people don’t have any education to be honest.

Just look at the film with Matt Damon ‘good will hunting’.

There’s no need to be snob.

Weather you went to a Russel group or weather you went to southbank or London met. In the end it’s the same thing.
    I think graduating from Oxbridge would help you get where you want to be much easier.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reliable article. The article still supports my opinon on that Oxbridge graduates do earn more than most russell group universities
    With the only difference begin that your typical Oxbridge reject will likely be heading to LSE, Imperial, or UCL, not Liverpool or Sheffield. By 'typical', I mean, 'someone who actually had a decent shot at an Oxbridge place', and not 'someone who applied because his school made him to, didn't get an interview, and ended up at Manchester'.

I'm more surprised that you attribute this difference down to the Oxbridge brand-name/reputation alone, and nothing else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    It also depends where you want to work. Well-known universities will give some advantage internationally.
    Oxbridge might not even do the subject you want to study. For example business management.

They don’t base just on intelligence. Look at ibz mo. He got into Cambridge with c’s and d’s at GCSEs. It’s a wide range of things.

Stop being a snob.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.