sbsoton
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I just submitted an essay and it came up with a 37% similarity rating, when I remove the bibliography and quotes it's 11% and when I checked, the 11% consists of my footnotes and the fact I put a header of "Student ID" on every page. Despite this I am still panicking. Do they check what's been flagged up or just go by the percentage? I know I should be fine its just worrying me!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sbsoton)
So I just submitted an essay and it came up with a 37% similarity rating, when I remove the bibliography and quotes it's 11% and when I checked, the 11% consists of my footnotes and the fact I put a header of "Student ID" on every page. Despite this I am still panicking. Do they check what's been flagged up or just go by the percentage? I know I should be fine its just worrying me!
I think you will be fine as long as its properly referenced, which is what seems to be causing the match. Thats why they have the function to exclude. If you are that concerned then point out to tutor that is the case and why plus keep drafts of your work.
.ACS.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sbsoton)
Yes, they do check. Staff are acutely aware that TurnItIn is not 100% accurate or foolproof. But it enables them to quickly scour a swathe of articles, books, and previous assignments/dissertations, etc.

You should have no issue whatsoever. When I did my BSc dissertation, I had a similar issue -- I used http://en.writecheck.com at the time to double check before submitting -- and had similar scores to you for the same sort of reasons, and it wasn't an issue at all. The marker even said in the report after going through that it clearly wasn't plagiarism.

Good luck in your assignment!
poohvarius18
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hey so I also submitted a research paper on turnitin.com and it said there was 37% plagiarism as well and i'm currently freaking out. I'm scared my teacher is going to interrogate me for it i don't know. Am i in trouble?
storm95
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Once had 80% on an algebra coursework I mean come on...
Archurus23
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
You really want it to be 25% or lower
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (216)
70.59%
No I haven't decided yet (57)
18.63%
Yes but I might change my mind (33)
10.78%

Watched Threads