error405
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
hi, im going to choose my gcse options but i cant decide which one to pick
1. which one is easier to learn/understand?
2. pros and cons 4 the subjects pls
3. what you do in these subjects?/ do you enjoy the subject?
error405
Rep:
?
any1?
error405
Rep:
?
??
Lydia.Mx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by error405)
hi, im going to choose my gcse options but i cant decide which one to pick
1. which one is easier to learn/understand?
2. pros and cons 4 the subjects pls
3. what you do in these subjects?/ do you enjoy the subject?
This is going to be quite biased as I only do Geography & its my favourite subject but I can give you some information on it which may help!

Pros:
- Interesting (if you like KS3 Geography then you'll probably enjoy the course as some topics do crop up again within GCSE Geography)
- It's got a range of questions - maths based ones, recall ones, graphs and long answer questions.
- You get to do fieldwork! (Don't know if every exam board does this but we have to do it as part as our course)
- Leads to more options in the future - as its a facilitating subject

Cons:
- Lots of fact based/recall questions so if you're not amazing at having to remember a lot of facts then it may not be the best subject to pick, equally, things like flashcards really help with learn those facts.
- You do have to do 8-12 mark questions - this is usually only 2-3 questions on each paper - plus they give you facts and sources to use within these questions when answering them!

What you do in the subject really relies on the exam board you're on - I do WJEC (which I'm really happy about) & we have three papers - Component A, Component B and fieldwork.
Component A... Landscapes and physical processes eg. Distinct landforms of the UK/Rivers, Rural-Urban links e.g. problems elderly face, problems in rural areas etc..., global and megacities.
Then theres an optional theme within it which we do on coastal management as this is what our fieldwork is based upon.
Component B... Weather, climate and ecosystems (TRF etc...), Development and Resource Issues (I can't tell you loads on this as I've only just started the Development and Resource Issues topic but its pretty much to do with globalisation etc...)
And the optional theme for this is Environmental Challenges.

I really love geography so much so that I am taking it for A-level next year! I think its easy-ish to understand as long as you do all the work, listen in lessons, do homework & revise for each EUT'S! Hope this helps just a little, what else are you thinking of taking? Good luck!!
error405
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lydia.Mx)
This is going to be quite biased as I only do Geography & its my favourite subject but I can give you some information on it which may help!

Pros:
- Interesting (if you like KS3 Geography then you'll probably enjoy the course as some topics do crop up again within GCSE Geography)
- It's got a range of questions - maths based ones, recall ones, graphs and long answer questions.
- You get to do fieldwork! (Don't know if every exam board does this but we have to do it as part as our course)
- Leads to more options in the future - as its a facilitating subject

Cons:
- Lots of fact based/recall questions so if you're not amazing at having to remember a lot of facts then it may not be the best subject to pick, equally, things like flashcards really help with learn those facts.
- You do have to do 8-12 mark questions - this is usually only 2-3 questions on each paper - plus they give you facts and sources to use within these questions when answering them!

What you do in the subject really relies on the exam board you're on - I do WJEC (which I'm really happy about) & we have three papers - Component A, Component B and fieldwork.
Component A... Landscapes and physical processes eg. Distinct landforms of the UK/Rivers, Rural-Urban links e.g. problems elderly face, problems in rural areas etc..., global and megacities.
Then theres an optional theme within it which we do on coastal management as this is what our fieldwork is based upon.
Component B... Weather, climate and ecosystems (TRF etc...), Development and Resource Issues (I can't tell you loads on this as I've only just started the Development and Resource Issues topic but its pretty much to do with globalisation etc...)
And the optional theme for this is Environmental Challenges.

I really love geography so much so that I am taking it for A-level next year! I think its easy-ish to understand as long as you do all the work, listen in lessons, do homework & revise for each EUT'S! Hope this helps just a little, what else are you thinking of taking? Good luck!!
thanks
decs
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I take both and I prefer business. I am doing the old spec for business but the subject is the still same. I am also doing the new gcse geography. They both have an essay element so that may be a good thing or bad thing depending if you like that. I find some parts of geography really boring but that is my opinion. I find the new gcse geography hard and there is a lot of content. With business, there is a fair bit you need to know but if you know how to structure your 6 and 9 markers, then it is fine.We have coursework but i am guessing that there will no longer be coursework in the new spec. There are topics in business studies such as marketing,finance,starting a business,people in business and operation management. Business is enjoyable and is less demanding than geography. It is also much more easier. I don't have any bad thing to say about business studies. So if you have an interest in business and how small businesses and large businesses work, then i would recommend business. Geography is a useful subject to take and links in with science a bit so it is a good subject to take but at gcse, it doesn't matter what gcse's you pick unless you want to study the subject at a-level.
Lydia.Mx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by decs)
I take both and I prefer business. I am doing the old spec for business but the subject is the still same. I am also doing the new gcse geography. They both have an essay element so that may be a good thing or bad thing depending if you like that. I find some parts of geography really boring but that is my opinion. I find the new gcse geography hard and there is a lot of content. With business, there is a fair bit you need to know but if you know how to structure your 6 and 9 markers, then it is fine.We have coursework but i am guessing that there will no longer be coursework in the new spec. There are topics in business studies such as marketing,finance,starting a business,people in business and operation management. Business is enjoyable and is less demanding than geography. It is also much more easier. I don't have any bad thing to say about business studies. So if you have an interest in business and how small businesses and large businesses work, then i would recommend business. Geography is a useful subject to take and links in with science a bit so it is a good subject to take but at gcse, it doesn't matter what gcse's you pick unless you want to study the subject at a-level.
What exam board are you on?
tmayax
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i think you should take business rather than geography. I currently take both subjects (AQA) and business studies is definitely easier. Geography there is a lot to learn from physical to human geography.With business studies you can even get away with not revising for the exam (which you shouldn't) business is honestly just common sense. i think you will enjoy it . the only thing about business that you need to consider is the timing. You have 1hr exams and it is literally a mark a minute! so you have to be quick !
error405
Rep:
?
(Original post by tmayax)
i think you should take business rather than geography. I currently take both subjects (AQA) and business studies is definitely easier. Geography there is a lot to learn from physical to human geography.With business studies you can even get away with not revising for the exam (which you shouldn't) business is honestly just common sense. i think you will enjoy it . the only thing about business that you need to consider is the timing. You have 1hr exams and it is literally a mark a minute! so you have to be quick !
thanks
Gillian Reece1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks this is helpful as our son need to choose between the two. Of the two subjects, business and geography, which seems to have the more or longer extended writing answers on the exam paper? Many thanks
Gillian Reece1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks to all who answered. Not sure exactly what people mean when they say business is easier? I assume it means it is conceptually easier to grasp as someone described it as common sense. But for those who have taken both business and geography, which one is lighter on work/homework as you go through the course? Or is it about the same? Sorry to keep probing for information but there is a very complicated set of reasons why this matter so much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (627)
33.66%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (784)
42.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (368)
19.75%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (84)
4.51%

Watched Threads