The Student Room Group

Is Rey from Star Wars a Mary Sue?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amullai
I don't remember her being told how ti open up to the force. When was that and who by? (i can't really argue my case without this knowledge so i guess I'm just going to be waiting.)

Maz Kanata the little orange alien at the not Mos Eisley cantina just after Rey finds the Lightsaber, talks to her about the force and how to open up to it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by Gwilym101
Maz Kanata the little orange alien at the not Mos Eisley cantina just after Rey finds the Lightsaber, talks to her about the force and how to open up to it.

Hmm I guess she isn't too much of a Mary Sue but she still is one. Getting told once to open up isn't the same as the training almost every other jedi had ao she is still overpowered for her backstory as of current events.
Reply 42
Original post by alexschmalex
Too many people are complaining, and too many people are acting like she's some messiah figure for film. A lot of loner guys out there are crying because they think she threatens their weak sense of masculinity, and there's also a bunch of people acting like she gives them a reason to be irritants. I'm not one of those pathetically rabid Star Wars fans, I just enjoy a good movie and don't really give a **** what happens as long as I'm entertained. She's entertaining, Kylo is entertaining, and the new trilogy while definitely not perfect for the people who fooled themselves into thinking Star Wars is cinematic perfection, is still a fun ride.

I get what you mean but I still think her character could have been explained better. It doesn't take away from the films so I don't mind that much but I would have liked to have see some awesome scene/s where they explain why Rey is so good at everything.
She isn’t. An example of a character like that would be Superman, hence why I find him an incredibly boring superhero.
Reply 44
Original post by Mr Smurf
She isn’t. An example of a character like that would be Superman, hence why I find him an incredibly boring superhero.

The argument has pretty much been exhausted. But why do you think she isn't and why superman is. Because I'm pretty sure that superheroes that have an origin story generally are not. Superman is a different species and so can get away with having strong powers. Also he is shown to have flaws.
Original post by Amullai
Hmm I guess she isn't too much of a Mary Sue but she still is one. Getting told once to open up isn't the same as the training almost every other jedi had ao she is still overpowered for her backstory as of current events.

Power level is not the be all and end all of if someone is Mary Sue. Mary Sue's are overly perfect, never wrong and exceedingly talented at everything without explanation.

Rey is arguably talented at one thing without explaination (and this thing is inherently mystical where even masters don't fully understand it). She doesn't fit the other criteria.
Reply 46
Disagree. Luke barely used the force in the first film, only using it in any degree (besides some training where he does poorly) when he uses it to sort of guide some torpedoes. Then he trains with Yoda for several weeks where he constantly fails before he is beaten by the villain. After about a year he returns to fight Vader, but is defeated AGAIN by Palpatine and has to be saved by Vader. His piloting skills come from flying his T-16 at home and he is constantly in the way on the Falcon in ANH. Rey on the other hand manages to fly the Falcon flawlessly, after only 2 lessons is far more adept at the force than Luke ever was, manages to best the top trained guards in the entire FO and does better in that fight than a jedi serial-killer, lifts 1000 rocks with no trouble, first time in a gunner seat bulls-eyes 3 TIE fighters with one shot, never struggles ever. I actually don't think that Rey was a Mary Sue in TFO, and her character was interesting and entertaining enough for me to like her, even if she were. But in TLJ she is bland, boring and completely OP.
Reply 47
Original post by TMD III
Disagree. Luke barely used the force in the first film, only using it in any degree (besides some training where he does poorly) when he uses it to sort of guide some torpedoes. Then he trains with Yoda for several weeks where he constantly fails before he is beaten by the villain. After about a year he returns to fight Vader, but is defeated AGAIN by Palpatine and has to be saved by Vader. His piloting skills come from flying his T-16 at home and he is constantly in the way on the Falcon in ANH. Rey on the other hand manages to fly the Falcon flawlessly, after only 2 lessons is far more adept at the force than Luke ever was, manages to best the top trained guards in the entire FO and does better in that fight than a jedi serial-killer, lifts 1000 rocks with no trouble, first time in a gunner seat bulls-eyes 3 TIE fighters with one shot, never struggles ever. I actually don't think that Rey was a Mary Sue in TFO, and her character was interesting and entertaining enough for me to like her, even if she were. But in TLJ she is bland, boring and completely OP.

I agree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending