Any Muslims/Hijabi's going to Uni of Manchester? Watch

study145
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Okay so I'm a muslim girl (hijabi) enrolling into university of Manchester in September 2018 (hopefully lol) I wanna know of any other Muslim girls going in September too?? I'm asking for accommodation purposes as I wanna know what you/they are going to apply for. I've applied for burkhardt house, Canterbury court and Wright Robinson (I also requested a single sex flat)
Please let me know if your a Muslim girl/hijabi about to go to uni of Manchester in September!
Edit: there is now a Muslim/hijabi whatsapp group chat for those who are planning to go to Manchester in September, just thought it would be nice to get to know each other and have some friends for next year! Pm me for the link
potatogoat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi! I am in the same position as you! I know Opal Gardens had same sex opportunities but they don't have WiFi :/ lol. Do you know of any other same sex flats?
fatimamalek41
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by study145)
Okay so I'm a muslim girl (hijabi) enrolling into university of Manchester in September 2018 (hopefully lol) I wanna know of any other Muslim girls going in September too?? I'm asking for accommodation purposes as I wanna know what you/they are going to apply for. I've applied for burkhardt house, Canterbury court and Wright Robinson (I also requested a single sex flat)
Please let me know if your a Muslim girl/hijabi about to go to uni of Manchester in September!
Hi, I'm planning to study at Manchester this year. I still haven't decided what halls to stay at.
study145
Rep:
?
(Original post by potatogoat)
Hi! I am in the same position as you! I know Opal Gardens had same sex opportunities but they don't have WiFi :/ lol. Do you know of any other same sex flats?
Hi! Well I did a lot of research and also asked a girl I already knew was studying at Manchester, and the only hope is st Daniels if u want an all female hall or applying for burkhardt hall, Canterbury court and Wright Robinson and you have to email the accommodation office and request a single sex flat as those halls are the only halls that have single sex areas, however they did say it's not guaranteed but I think if a lot of people request single sex flats within those halls, they're more likely to do it. I explained due to religious reasons I would need a single sex flat.
potatogoat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
thankyou!! I'm going to email for those that you mentioned
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
singzeon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't know about the halls you've mentioned, but I do know St Gabriels is a single-sex hall as my friend is staying there currently
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Amefish
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just to let you know, there is a big Muslim community in Manchester, in the city and the university we have the Islamic Society, which is a great community and has a high involvement in things like volunteering and fundraising, as well as social events. You'll definitely fit in well here! :five:
study145
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amefish)
Just to let you know, there is a big Muslim community in Manchester, in the city and the university we have the Islamic Society, which is a great community and has a high involvement in things like volunteering and fundraising, as well as social events. You'll definitely fit in well here! :five:
Thank you so much for letting me know! That's really eased my stress about fitting in, do you already go to Manchester uni??
Amefish
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much for letting me know! That's really eased my stress about fitting in, do you already go to Manchester uni??
Yeah, it's wonderfully diverse :yep:
Bham369
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey hopefully I'll be there But I'll be staying at home but it'll be nice to meet and have a friend there
study145
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amefish)
Yeah, it's wonderfully diverse :yep:
Thanks so much, it's so nice to meet you!
study145
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bham369)
Hey hopefully I'll be there But I'll be staying at home but it'll be nice to meet and have a friend there
Hi! It's nice to meet you, hopefully I'll see you there
NabilahKhan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nice to meet fellow hijabis! I'm waiting for one uni to make their decision, but definitely planning on firming Manchester. Have looked a bit into accomodation but not in depth since I'm planning on living with relatives anyway... We'll see. Living in co-ed flats would be tedious since we'll have to cover up at all times D: Good luck and hope we'll get to meet in September!
study145
Rep:
?
(Original post by NabilahKhan)
Nice to meet fellow hijabis! I'm waiting for one uni to make their decision, but definitely planning on firming Manchester. Have looked a bit into accomodation but not in depth since I'm planning on living with relatives anyway... We'll see. Living in co-ed flats would be tedious since we'll have to cover up at all times D: Good luck and hope we'll get to meet in September!
Hi!! Ugh I know mixed flats is such a struggle! I will be really disappointed if I don't get a single gender flat, it's gonna be so annoying covering 24/7. Hopefully I'll see you in September, it's great to meet you
Milky_Way
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not a hijab so I can't relate to the struggle for a single sex dorm but I hope everything works out for you! Personally don't mind mixed dorms but my parents aren't keen on them
Aisha T
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello ladies,

I will be going to UOM starting Sept'18 and am also keen on single sex accommodation. Most of the single sex halls mentioned on this post did not show up when I searched the website, perhaps because I will be postgrad?

Does anyone which campus the school of materials is a part of? Fallowfield, victoria, citycampus?
Aisha T
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
if this helps anyone, I just rung the accommodations office and it seems Ashburne hall is predominantly female, and was told chances of getting a single-sex flat there are much higher.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work for as I need to be close to city campus.
Milky_Way
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm an international so being close to the city is also a priority of mine
study145
Rep:
?
Hi! Nice to meet you. The halls I mentioned are not single sex but they do have single sex areas which need to be requested with your application if you would like to be considered for the single sex area. If you go on the accommodation site and look at different halls there is a section where it says facilities so it will say things like internet, common room area, and SOME of the halls say single sex areas in their facilities section. You have to search each hall separately though as they don't coke up if you filter options.
(Original post by Aisha T)
Hello ladies,

I will be going to UOM starting Sept'18 and am also keen on single sex accommodation. Most of the single sex halls mentioned on this post did not show up when I searched the website, perhaps because I will be postgrad?

Does anyone which campus the school of materials is a part of? Fallowfield, victoria, citycampus?
Milky_Way
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Anyone else here muslim but not a hijabi? Parents would still prefer single sex halls though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Manchester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
    Sat, 22 Jun '19
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (41)
13.58%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (26)
8.61%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (61)
20.2%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (44)
14.57%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (36)
11.92%
How can I be the best version of myself? (94)
31.13%

Watched Threads