Turn on thread page Beta

B1318 - Bank Holiday Extension Bill 2018 watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    What is this?/I'm confused
    Hi there. If you're confused as to what is going on here then you are probably new to this section of TSR. This is a Model House of Commons, a forum where we emulate the structure of the Real Life House of Commons as an excuse to debate politics.

If you are seeing this and you want to get involved in the debate, please feel free. You do not need to join a party, get approval or join any group to get stuck in right away. If you enjoy it and you do want to join a party then you can do so here. If you have any questions or need any help please message me. I am the current speaker of the house and part of my role involves offering impartial advice to new members so I will always be happy to answer what questions you have. Alternatively, you can read the new members guide to get advice on a wide range of issues.

Note: Please refrain from making comments about how we spend our free time. It is our free time to spend.

B1318 - Bank Holiday Extension Bill 2018, JMR2018

Bank Holiday Extension Bill 2018

A bill, to increase the number of UK wide bank holidays.

"BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

Definitions

A bank holiday shall be a public holiday, as defined by the Banking and Financial Dealings Act 1971.
    April 23rd shall be defined as St George's Day.
    November 30th shall be defined as St Andrew's Day.
    March 1st shall be defined as St David's Day.
    17th March shall be defined as St Patrick's Day.

Bank Holidays

This act shall create 4 new bank holidays, and give bank holiday status to the public holidays of Christmas Day and Good Friday.
    St George's Day, St Andrew's Day, St David's Day and St Patrick's Day shall all be given bank holiday status under this act.

Short Title and extent

This Act may be known as the Bank Holiday Extension Act 2018
    This Act will come into force immediately throughout the United Kingdom.

ReputationRep:
    Creating more time off work is something I support, however, it is something the government should be doing, there should not be a bill to create bank holidays.

ReputationRep:
    Dont appreciate the formatting on this.

I think having these four days as bank holidays is sensible and smart. So it has my vote.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    May I ask why these 4 days in particular?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker

Having more bank holidays makes sense to me and allows workers to have more leisure time and it improves workers productivity.

Although I do not like the formatting of this bill I suggest you look at how other bills are constructed and perhaps take a look at the TF sticky thread the bumper thread for guidance on how to write legislation.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It's an aye from me. There are a lot of European countries that have more bank holidays than we do: England and Wales currently have eight, with Scotland on nine. In comparison, France and Italy have eleven, Germany has nine (equal with Scotland) and Spain has as many as fourteen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob E)
    Creating more time off work is something I support, however, it is something the government should be doing, there should not be a bill to create bank holidays.
    I presume you are suggesting this should then be a motion to the Government to create more bank holidays, with those included as suggestions?

Also this bill needs to be clearer if the bank holidays on patron saint days apply to all of Britain, or just the individual Countries. In addition if it is just the individual Countries I am pretty sure at least St Andrew's day already is a bank holiday, or at least that is what it says in my calendar.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Tommy1boy)
    Dont appreciate the formatting on this.
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    Although I do not like the formatting of this bill I suggest you look at how other bills are constructed and perhaps take a look at the TF sticky thread the bumper thread for guidance on how to write legislation.
    Yeah sorry I'm kind of new to this all haha

ReputationRep:
    Why not include Independence Day?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I dispute that the benefits to productivity from four more bank holidays will be noticeable as it just serves as an elongated weekend. To the contrary, longer holidays would allow individuals to book more and/or longer holidays with their family, making greater use of the time they spend away from work. In addition, it means that the reduction of productivity can be spread over the year, making it easier and less disruptive for businesses to respond to. This is something that is already in place in the United Kingdom to a greater extent than in all other countries apart from Kuwait, as individuals are entitled to 28 days of paid vacation. As we are already similar to many other similar countries such as Norway and Switzerland, any further increase should be minimal and added to paid vacation rather than bank holidays. A strong nay from me, and I would encourage other members of the house to vote against this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Why not include Independence Day?
    Last I checked we hadn't left the EU yet, and when/if we do leave it's still a highly controversial issue which has quite literally divided the Country, I'm not sure a whole day dedicated to it would be the best idea, you might see tensions flaring up and people using the day off to hold simultaneous pro and anti brexit marches and demonstrations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMR2018)
    No worries. As mr T said just copy some1 else's next time. Think I have only ever written one bill (which ultimitely failed) but I found copying format of other bills helpful.

ReputationRep:
    AYE

ReputationRep:
    NAY
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    JMR2018 This should've been written a motion not a bill but nonetheless this has my support because we should indeed recognise days like St Patrick's Day as bank holidays. Also, given that we have relatively fewer bank holidays than other countries, this is a good opportunity to give people some leisure time and some time to rest which helps boost productivity. However, of course, we need to be careful about having too much bank holidays because people can take advantage of that through long holidays which will subsequently reduce productivity. Obviously, I know that's not what you're proposing but it's worth pointing out anyways.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Not the tidiest bill, but I support the idea.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye.

Who wouldn't want more bank holidays?

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    To be honest, I don't think we have not enough as it is, and so based on that, I'm not sure I really support this... Whilst some more time might have a positive effect on employees in a few more days off, I think a better way to do that is try and engage with companies and change the whole culture rather than just stick 4 more mandatory days off in...

Something like this company would be something which if we could try and introduce more of then I think that would actually have a more positive effect...

For now though, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing...
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JMR2018)
    Notes help too.

I recognise the point of the bill, but in many ways I like the idea of a jovial workplace on these days where work and fun become more compatible.

Might abstain if this makes division.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.