The Student Room Group

Did I choose the wrong uni?

delete
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by 1974931
My firm choice was Warwick but I wasn't in love with it when I visited for the applicant day, but I preferred it over all the other places I applied to. I didn't think I could be happy on a campus uni in the middle of nowhere, especially when the cities near it aren't very nice. I felt like in second and third year living off campus it would be too much like going to school each day having to catch a 30 minute bus into uni. However, the course structure there was absolutely perfect for me so this is what appealed to me.

On results day my place was confirmed but I got cold feet and just couldn't see myself being happy there and so I applied to Bristol through clearing/adjustment and was offered a place. The course at Bristol looked similar but not as flexible and maybe wouldn't suit me as much, but the city appealed so much to me that I took the offer. I've struggled to make friends here, or "find my people", but I have had troubles with making friends over the last few years anyway.

The main problem is my university is not letting me transfer onto a single honours course (I'm doing a joint honours as this was the only thing available in adjustment) and I absolutely hate the second subject I am studying. If they would let me change to the single honours I would probably just stick it out here for the next 2 years, but they seem quite adamant.

I need advice as to whether I should try and transfer back to Warwick for 2nd year or if I should just stick it out here? I'm scared that if I did transfer it would be even worse than where I am now. I have to figure things out urgently as I already have a house for second year accommodation and will be signing the contract in 2 weeks time.

I would consider moving if you were actually that unhappy you don't want to get to second year when the intensity increases and you are struggling even more.

I live close to Warwick university so I could tell you about what the area and Coventry is like in general.
delete
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by 1974931
I'm not struggling with the course at the moment it's just that I don't want to continue with the second subject I'm studying and I would rather be doing open units in something like maths or physics (Warwick offers this for single honours). And I feel like Bristol and Warwick are polar opposites in terms of social life and general vibe. A combination of the Bristol lifestyle and Warwick course would have been perfect for me

Ultimately I would put greater priority on the course rather than the lifestyle as that it what you are at university for.

What was it that you didn't like about the lifestyle in Warwick?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending