Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Whether they were useful or not, throughout your maths education you've probably come across various mnemonics to help you remember formulae or rules. Which ones can you remember? Extra marks for posting dirty mnemonics as long as they don't break the community guidelines

Some common maths mnemonics:

Circumference of a circle: Cherry pies are delicious
Area of a circle: Apple pies are too

SOHCAHTOA : Some of her children are having trouble over algebra

Remembering the CAST order: All students take calculus

The first 8 digits of Pi : May(3) I(1) have(4) a(1) large(5) container(9) of(2) coffee(6)

Or how about the quadratic formula to the tune of Pop goes the Weasel!:

"x equals minus b, plus or minus the square root, of b squared minus four a c, all over two a.
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Notnek)
Can't recall using any. So, just Best Update My Profile'ing.
MR1999
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ILATE for integration by parts. The order of choice for u is Inverse, Logarithmic, Algebraic, Trigonometric and Exponential.

And of course the GOAT: BIDMAS.
username3555092
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
SOH CAH TOA - Some Old Hag Cracked All Her Teeth On Apples
Lord Nutter
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Whether they were useful or not, throughout your maths education you've probably come across various mnemonics to help you remember formulae or rules. Which ones can you remember? Extra marks for posting dirty mnemonics as long as they don't break the community guidelines

The first 8 digits of Pi : May(3) I(1) have(4) a(1) large(5) container(9) of(2) coffee(6)

"x equals minus b, plus or minus the square root, of b squared minus four a c, all over two a.
SOHCAHTOA - S*ags often have crabs and herpes til old age - learned it since year 7 and still using it now (year 13)
yusyus
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

tbh, not really sure if its a mnemonic but stick it kiss it flip it really helped me remember how to divide fractions
theOldBean
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

What is CAST?

Edit: for sec squared equals 1 plus tan squared, "to have sex, you need to have a tan, and then some."

Also, not a mnemonic, but to remember the difference between convex and concave, think about the shape of the modulus function, which is conVex.

In probability theory, if E1, E2,... is a sequence of events, then you can remember the difference between limsup and liminf by noticing that in liMsUp, the intersection (M looks a bit like \cap), and U looks like a union. M comes before U so  \text{limsup} E = \cap_{n} \cup_{m>n} E_m
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by bruh2132)
tbh, not really sure if its a mnemonic but stick it kiss it flip it really helped me remember how to divide fractions
(Original post by theOldBean)
Also, not a mnemonic, but to remember the difference between convex and concave, think about the shape of the modulus function, which is conVex.
A mnemonic is any kind of memory technique used to used to retrieve a particular piece of information so these would both be classed as mnemonics.
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by theOldBean)
What is CAST?
Cosine, All, Sine, Tan. The trig functions that are positive as you work round the circle, laid out on x,y axes, and starting from lower right, x-postive, y-negative, and going anti-clockwise.
Snoozinghamster
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ghostwalker)
Cosine, All, Sine, Tan. The trig functions that are positive as you work round the circle, laid out on x,y axes, and starting from lower right, x-postive, y-negative, and going anti-clockwise.
Wow I just confused myself with this, mainly cause I got anti-clockwise and clockwise mixed up. (I need to sleep...)

But I love having now discovered LIATE for interfraktionellen by parts. But I can only do it to the song I integrate by parts (tune of total eclipse of the heart!)
theOldBean
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ghostwalker)
Ahh, now you mention it I do vaguely remember drawing CAST diagrams in GCSE
ecila21
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In primary school, we were taught:

Hey diddle diddle
The median’s the middle
You add and divide for the mean
The mode is the one you see the most
And the range is the difference between!

We also remembered 7 x 8 with Steps 5, 6, 7, 8
Shaanv
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
SOHCAHTOA- Sex on hard concrete always hurts the outer areas.
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shaanv)
:rofl:
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Report 1 year ago
Not particularly useful, but pi to 740 places, in the style of The Raven, by E.A. Poe.

Near a Ravan

But if you're going to start remembering long numbers, there are more efficient memory techniques, converting digits to consonants, and creating words, images,....
Snoozinghamster
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Shaanv)
Ahh been a while since I’ve seen that one. I only ever heard the start though.

Was amusing when the teacher asked who knew a way to remember sohcahtoa and someone eagerly went to say that one then realised better and had to improvise something.
MajorFader
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Back in year 9, I used to have trouble remembering SOH. So my teacher said “sex on holiday”. Never forgot it since...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (157)
59.47%
No I haven't decided yet (61)
23.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (46)
17.42%

Watched Threads