Use of lanuage in politics Watch

silversocks012
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Aside from the other implications, it seems to me that the type of language used in politics today, from Trump's "sh*thole" to Boris Johnson's "puffed up popinjay" [both 0 out of 10 for hairstyles], marks a decline in proper educated use of language, political credibility and basic good manners; including excessive use of social media platforms and colloqiual language. Any thoughts?
tomm0
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by silversocks012)
Aside from the other implications, it seems to me that the type of language used in politics today, from Trump's "sh*thole" to Boris Johnson's "puffed up popinjay" [both 0 out of 10 for hairstyles], marks a decline in proper educated use of language, political credibility and basic good manners; including excessive use of social media platforms and colloqiual language. Any thoughts?
The social media, as unfortunate and bad as it is, is the way forward. The politicians have to adapt. What I would be afraid of more is the strange fascination of celebrities to be our leaders because this is likely to lead to politicians wanting to be cool to grab people's attention. Dangerous.

In regards to the language, I think that political credibility is earned by being yourself and doing what you believe it. Part of the Trump phenomenon is that he says what is on his mind. Whether he believes in it or not is another story. People look at him and believe that he says as he sees it. So, in conclusion, an occasional bullish*t or f*ck should not be frowned upon among politicians but appreciated.

The authenticity and class is what we need from our politicians and you can find people with both of these in the upper class, middle class and working class.
oldercon1953
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by silversocks012)
I prefer the use of everyday language. Social media is here to stay for the politician who wants to get his message across to the people. The media, news and entertainment, have become far too biased.
-Eirlys-
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Moved to UK Politics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (42)
13.59%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (26)
8.41%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (62)
20.06%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (44)
14.24%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (37)
11.97%
How can I be the best version of myself? (98)
31.72%

Watched Threads