thethinker?
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Recently I have heard many of my friends say they rather Oxford over Cambridge and vice-versa. I was wondering, Oxford or Cambridge
King Arthur 284
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by thethinker?)
Recently I have heard many of my friends say they rather Oxford over Cambridge and vice-versa. I was wondering, Oxford or Cambridge
Flip a coin, there are many other fantastic institutions to. Russell group.
SelfishPenguin
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Neither is easier or more difficult to attain entry to. With Cambridge, you are more likely to be invited to interview, Oxford less, but overall the same proportion of students who apply, are given offers to both universities. Oxford definitely has the more traditional look and feel with more older buildings and cobblestone street, yet Cambridge has this too. They also both follow very similar course structures for many subjects. However, depending on the subject you are applying for, there will be minute differences which you should definitely research. The decision of Oxford vs Cambridge is not a question of which is more of one thing than another because these differences are so minuscule they have no effect in the grand scheme of things.

What I am trying to say is that you need to visit the open days, visit a few colleges after researching them (maybe two or three colleges for each uni) and decide based on how you feel. It is a gut instinct because that city will become your home and life for three years and that cannot be decided using statistics.
I applied Cambridge because the atmosphere felt right with me. It is not that one is better than the other, simply a matter of personal preference that can only be decided through experiencing the university.

I apologise for the rather long-winded suggestion.
I hope your UCAS process goes well!
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago
Cambridge does Old Norse therefore it is better. And it has ducks... ducks!!!
HateOCR
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by thethinker?)
Cambridge just because they actually have more black students than Oxford
AdHominem
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Cambridge.
TrotskyiteRebel
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Science <> Cambridge
Humanities <> Oxford
Or at least that’s the mainstream perception. Oxford is a tiny bit more reputable in the sense that every intelligent organism (including apes) knows about it because it’s older. But that doesn’t really matter.
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TrotskyiteRebel)
Science <> Cambridge
Humanities <> Oxford
Or at least that’s the mainstream perception.
It really isn't the mainstream perception. It's what sixth formers think, but almost nobody else. :nope:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (15)
9.68%
Disagree (11)
7.1%
Neither agree or disagree (50)
32.26%
Agree (59)
38.06%
Strongly Agree (20)
12.9%

Watched Threads