The Student Room Group

First Year Schemes

Hello guys,

I'm worried about my applications to first year schemes at law firms after my rejection from Clifford Chance and CMS. Of course these schemes will be very competitive but I found that I had very little to offer on the application form. I passed the Watson Glaser test, but I knew I wouldn't go any further as my application essentially amounted to 'I've done 1 week work experience at a high street solicitors'. I am planning to apply to multiple schemes, probably 10+ in the hope of securing anything I can. For context I am studying law at UCL and have A/A* at GCSE and A level. I'm aware this academic profile is acceptable, it's the rest of my application that falls short. I'm struggling to address this.

My main issue is I have no idea what to write on questions like 'what's the biggest challenge facing law firms today?', and, 'why do you want to be a commercial solicitor?'. For such questions I just completely fabricated answers as, with all due respect to the process, very few first year law students have a clue what being a commercial solicitor really involves, hence why they apply to these schemes. It all seems very backward to me. Most will have to lie to get on schemes to find out more about the content they lied about.

A lot of my friends have had work experience at top firms and I can see them doing well in these applications, but this was never really an option for me. The only experience I have is 1 week in a law firm and working in a Cafe. I am struggling to see how I can make my application stand out with such lackluster experience. Getting on these schemes is very important to me as I plan to apply to apply for vacation schemes next year, and I need relevant experience.
(edited 6 years ago)
I went to an Aspiring Solicitors event and they mentioned that these schemes can be especially competitive. More so than TCs because people can accept multiple schemes. So first of all, don't be too disheartened. Use your first year to build up some substance for your application. And make sure you go to your university's law fair and to as many open days as possible too. These are things you can certainly mention in your applications.

In regards to the application questions, they are generally about showing that you can do some form of research and analysis on what being a commercial lawyer may involve at this stage.

I apologise if I haven't been of much help. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions though. And good luck!
Original post by Oddwatermelon
Hello guys,

I'm worried about my applications to first year schemes at law firms after my rejection from Clifford Chance and CMS. Of course these schemes will be very competitive but I found that I had very little to offer on the application form. I passed the Watson Glaser test, but I knew I wouldn't go any further as my application essentially amounted to 'I've done 1 week work experience at a high street solicitors'. I am planning to apply to multiple schemes, probably 10 in the hope of securing anything I can. For context I am studying law at UCL and have A/A* at GCSE and A level. I'm aware this academic profile is acceptable, it's the rest of my application that falls short. I'm struggling to address this.

My main issue is I have no idea what to write on questions like 'what's the biggest challenge facing law firms today?', and, 'why do you want to be a commercial solicitor?'. For such questions I just completely fabricated answers as, with all due respect to the process, very few first year law students have a clue what being a commercial solicitor really involves, hence why they apply to these schemes. It all seems very backward to me. Most will have to lie to get on schemes to find out more about the content they lied about.

A lot of my friends have had work experience at top firms and I can see them doing well in these applications, but this was never really an option for me. The only experience I have is 1 week in a law firm and working in a Cafe. I am struggling to see how I can make my application stand out with such lackluster experience. Getting on these schemes is very important to me as I plan to apply to apply for vacation schemes next year, and I need relevant experience.

Tbh it’s not always about having x amount of work exp, even if you have 1-2, if you express these well onto an application it’s good enough. It’s about how you convey your experiences to show you actually believe law is for you. Use all the experience even if not in a law firm to show you have picked up the skills you’d need for that law firm in particular.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hello guys,

I'm worried about my applications to first year schemes at law firms after my rejection from Clifford Chance and CMS. Of course these schemes will be very competitive but I found that I had very little to offer on the application form. I passed the Watson Glaser test, but I knew I wouldn't go any further as my application essentially amounted to 'I've done 1 week work experience at a high street solicitors'. I am planning to apply to multiple schemes, probably 10+ in the hope of securing anything I can. For context I am studying law at UCL and have A/A* at GCSE and A level. I'm aware this academic profile is acceptable, it's the rest of my application that falls short. I'm struggling to address this.

Welcome to the world of competitive application processes!!! Aren't they just oodles of fun? Competing head on with people ranging from those who knew since they came into existence that they want to work for a top firm to people who are just bright and exceptionally good BSers.

It's all a learning curve tbh. You've got to take those rejections on the chin and learn how to improve yourself. Those questions regarding legal challenges are a test to see if you're actually commercially aware or are at least competent enough to portray that (even if you aren't necessarily). Competency and motivational questions are a way to see a) if you're genuinely thinking hard about this career and b) whether you know how to communicate your experiences and what you've learned from life in an eloquent, to-the-point manner. These firms aren't gonna waste their time with people who half-heartedly apply; at the end of the day every program they offer to students is a net loss to them.

The good thing is, you have time. Sure, you might be behind the first years who've been career motivated from what seems like birth, but that's not a large population of people at uni.

Use these next few months between now and 2019 recruiting season to drastically improve: increase your commercial awareness, network with lawyers to get a feel for their careers (and really, whether you genuinely want to become one), reach out to succesful vac-schemers in the years above for application tips, read up online on how to write a good application, reach out to firms for work experience, get more involved with ECs at your uni and genuinely use your careers service (UCL has an excellent one).

The people you're competing against have been doing or will do all of the above. Better start joining them!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello guys,

What other first year schemes have you seen? I got rejected from Ashurst but expected it with only a ABB and A* EPQ :/ they even had a tick box asking if I had AAB or above.
I feel that my extracurricular activities are up to scratch however, have only similar legal experience though
Original post by Chichaldo
What other first year schemes have you seen? I got rejected from Ashurst but expected it with only a ABB and A* EPQ :/ they even had a tick box asking if I had AAB or above.
I feel that my extracurricular activities are up to scratch however, have only similar legal experience though

Before I went to my university's law fair, I checked the website of each firm to see if they offer a first year scheme or any opportunities for first years. I then tried to approach as many of these firms as possible at the law fair and get a feel for their culture and vibe. I preferred to use the list of law firms at the law fair because it shows their specific interest in the university. However, there is no reason not to apply to other firms too. And from my research, a LOT of firms have some form of first year opportunities.
Original post by Insecable
Before I went to my university's law fair, I checked the website of each firm to see if they offer a first year scheme or any opportunities for first years. I then tried to approach as many of these firms as possible at the law fair and get a feel for their culture and vibe. I preferred to use the list of law firms at the law fair because it shows their specific interest in the university. However, there is no reason not to apply to other firms too. And from my research, a LOT of firms have some form of first year opportunities.

Yeah I went to law fairs and the pupillage fair in London.
Any you remember off the top of your head with apps open until the end of Jan since exams are taking time until lateish Jan. Cheers
Original post by Chichaldo
Yeah I went to law fairs and the pupillage fair in London.
Any you remember off the top of your head with apps open until the end of Jan since exams are taking time until lateish Jan. Cheers

I know that A&O and Linklaters' applications just opened and the application period is until a month from now. You should specifically look at the firms you're interested in though.

Quick Reply

Latest