Is the old spec past papers good enough?

Watch
Callister
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm doing the new A2 Physics and A2 Chemistry (OCR) course, as well as A2 maths, but that's on the old spec still.

I was just wondering whether the old spec past papers (papers before 2015) would be good enough for the new spec, as I only have the resources that my teachers give me and a specimen paper for each subject. That's it, apart from the old spec papers of course!

Are the old spec past papers good enough?
Thanks
eibhlin18
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think if you find questions relevant to what you have studied because the format won’t have changed too drastically, they’ve just taken some material out and added new material
CES045
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They're good for about 70-80% of the questions. However, the new papers have practical techniques cooperated into them, meaning you will have to either revisit your practical assessments youve done in class or find the theory somewhere online, because no textbooks I have found contain any practical techniques.

If you become very familiar with the old style papers scoring between 80-100% every time, it should get you a minimum of a solid B grade in the new style exams.
Callister
Rep:
?
Thanks guys, so there isn't that much that is different, just practical assessments as well as new topics. A grade B would be good for me but I'm trying for even an A so, I'll be putting in more work to get the A! Thannks
CES045
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Callister)
Thanks guys, so there isn't that much that is different, just practical assessments as well as new topics. A grade B would be good for me but I'm trying for even an A so, I'll be putting in more work to get the A! Thannks
No problem! For chemistry practical technique theory I highly recommend chemrevise website and check out the OCR revision guides. The module 2 acids section is four pages and contains large amount of information of titrations, how to reduce uncertainty and how to show you have repeatable accurate results. Those revision sheets are how I revise currently.
Callister
Rep:
?
(Original post by CES045)
No problem! For chemistry practical technique theory I highly recommend chemrevise website and check out the OCR revision guides. The module 2 acids section is four pages and contains large amount of information of titrations, how to reduce uncertainty and how to show you have repeatable accurate results. Those revision sheets are how I revise currently.
This is great! Thank you for the advice, I think it will definitely help improve my grades!
CES045
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Callister)
This is great! Thank you for the advice, I think it will definitely help improve my grades!
My pleasure, im afraid i dont take physics so am unable to help with those. I do take a level maths but theres SO much material just on physicsandmathstutor for that theres no need to list any other sites
Callister
Rep:
?
(Original post by CES045)
My pleasure, im afraid i dont take physics so am unable to help with those. I do take a level maths but theres SO much material just on physicsandmathstutor for that theres no need to list any other sites
Yea, I also use physicsandmathstutor for maths, its great for past papers and notes
Sadiii01
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by eibhlin18)
I think if you find questions relevant to what you have studied because the format won’t have changed too drastically, they’ve just taken some material out and added new material
Yup I would agree to that.
The style of the questions asked doesnt change too much so the old papers are good enough. Plus you have no other choice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (113)
27.56%
England (143)
34.88%
Belgium (31)
7.56%
Germany (41)
10%
Spain (9)
2.2%