Diverse Cambridge College? Watch

bella212121
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
It's really important to me that I attend a college that is diverse in terms of ethnicity. Does anyone know which college is the most diverse? I can't find any statistics but maybe some of these colleges have a reputation for being diverse that I don't know about? Perhaps, if it's easier maybe which college is the least diverse? So I at least know to avoid that one. Also, during my college research, I've seen people really hate Girton? That was one I really liked, so what's so bad about it??

Thanks
stoyfan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bella212121)
It's really important to me that I attend a college that is diverse in terms of ethnicity. Does anyone know which college is the most diverse? I can't find any statistics but maybe some of these colleges have a reputation for being diverse that I don't know about? Perhaps, if it's easier maybe which college is the least diverse? So I at least know to avoid that one. Also, during my college research, I've seen people really hate Girton? That was one I really liked, so what's so bad about it??

Thanks
Oh my, these diveristy questions are pointless. I am quite sure that pretty much everyone will not give a damn about your gender, race or skin colour at Cambridge Uni.

You don't need to be worried about diversity.
bella212121
Rep:
?
(Original post by stoyfan)
Oh my, these diveristy questions are pointless. I am quite sure that pretty much everyone will not give a damn about your gender, race or skin colour at Cambridge Uni.

Why do people get so offended by diversity questions? I simply want to be surrounded by a diverse student body and I know especially with Cambridge, this is often not the case. It is a valid question.
stoyfan
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why do people get so offended by diversity questions? I simply want to be surrounded by a diverse student body and I know especially with Cambridge, this is often not the case. It is a valid question.
I am not offended by it, but woring about diversity is a waste of time.
You will get very little out of this.
unicurse
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why pay for a university course for that when you can just get a Tumblr account.
username1545603
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Thanks
Good question and absolutely valid, of course (it's not for anyone else to say what is, or is not, important to you, however well-meaning they may be).

My daughter is mixed-race, identifies as black, is a member of the Afro-Caribbean Society, attends other ethnic minority group events across a large number of colleges. She is at Fitzwilliam and extremely happy there with about 6 or 7 black friends at Fitz in her year, approximately the same number of other ethnic minority friends there, and her real, tight, inner core group of friends are white simply because that's who live with her on her staircase and floor.

If you wish, by return, i can put you in touch with her. Most of the colleges have approximately the same-ish numbers of black students (although, this year, she thinks there may only be one or two at Trinity). She also tells me that, this year, Kings, Girton and Homerton have very strong BME societies (all colleges have them and they change year to year).

PLEASE ignore all the nonsense comments you see written about Girton. I'm serious, it's a fantastic college, wonderful history, stunningly beautiful architecture, great facilities and, by all accounts, a very tight community. The rubbish you hear about Girton is perpetuated mostly by people who've never even been there and are simply repeating banter not realising that there are people taking them seriously. They write rubbish because it's further out than other colleges (perhaps with the exception of Homerton). The reality is that it's a 15 minute bike ride from town centre and has a decent bus service.

I hope this helps, just shout if you want more. Here's a little video she made a few days back which will give a 'feel' for things - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48jaalvVeuQ
bella212121
Rep:
?
(Original post by sir albert)
Good question and absolutely valid, of course (it's not for anyone else to say what is, or is not, important to you, however well-meaning they may be).

My daughter is mixed-race, identifies as black, is a member of the Afro-Caribbean Society, attends other ethnic minority group events across a large number of colleges. She is at Fitzwilliam and extremely happy there with about 6 or 7 black friends at Fitz in her year, approximately the same number of other ethnic minority friends there, and her real, tight, inner core group of friends are white simply because that's who lives with her on her staircase and floor.

If you wish, by return, i can put you in touch with her. Most of the colleges have approximately the same-ish numbers of black students (although, this year, she thinks there may only be one or two at Trinity). She also tells me that, this year, Kings, Girton and Homerton have very strong BME societies (all colleges have them and they change year to year).

PLEASE ignore all the nonsense comments you see written about Girton. I'm serious, it's a fantastic college, wonderful history, stunningly beautiful architecture, great facilities and, by all accounts, a very tight community. The rubbish you hear about Girton is perpetuated mostly by people who've never even been there and are simply repeating banter not realising that there are people taking them seriously. They write rubbish because it's further out than other colleges (perhaps with the exception of Homerton). The reality is that it's a 15 minute bike ride from town centre and has a decent bus service.

I hope this helps, just shout if you want more. Here's a little video she made a few days back which will give a 'feel' for things - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48jaalvVeuQ
Thank you so much!! You are the first person to understand and give me a relevant, educated and helpful response!
I currently attend an all-white school, I am not black but Moroccan (I suppose I identify as Afro-Arab? Lol my ethnicity is complicated), I am also Muslim so I have been victim to a lot of racism and islamophobia (including physical attacks), so like I said, it's absolutely vital to me that my college is diverse.
I would actually appreciate it if you could put me in contact with your daughter if you don't mind? I would be in the 2019 intake, so that's far away but it would still be helpful to directly talk to an actual Cambridge student.
Thank you so much again!!
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I can't find any by-college statistics for ethnic diversity, but the percentage of state schools admissions might be an indicator of diversity, which you can find on page 23 here. The problem you will inevitably face with diversity is that Cambridge, whilst making improvements, is not a particularly diverse university. No college is going to be particularly diverse, that's a fact unfortunately. Given the relatively small percentages from BME backgrounds (excluding Asian), applying to a statistically diverse college is not a guarantee that your intake actually will be diverse. Also, of course, applying to a college isn't a guarantee that you'll actually get in there. So I would be a bit careful with using this as a criterion. Do look at the state school percentages though because that might give some kind of an indication.
username1545603
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much!! You are the first person to understand and give me a relevant, educated and helpful response!
I currently attend an all-white school, I am not black but Moroccan (I suppose I identify as Afro-Arab? Lol my ethnicity is complicated), I am also Muslim so I have been victim to a lot of racism and islamophobia (including physical attacks), so like I said, it's absolutely vital to me that my college is diverse.
I would actually appreciate it if you could put me in contact with your daughter if you don't mind? I would be in the 2019 intake, so that's far away but it would still be helpful to directly talk to an actual Cambridge student.
Thank you so much again!!
Morocco I love. Years ago, with others, I crossed the Atlas mountains and went down onto the Sahara and then crossed a large part of it with Tuareg tribesmen as guides.

2019 is not so far away and my advice is to start early to prepare, the application process is lengthy with a number of different phases and you cannot be too prepared for each of them).

My daughter has a number of Muslim friends at Fitz and there is quite a big university-wide Muslim Society, meeting regularly. She also helped out at applicants interviews in December and tells me there were an encouraging number girls in Muslim dress up for interview (but, of course, most who are interviewed do not gain a place as interviews are just one part of the overall assessment).

I have spoken to her and I will send you her email address. She says feel free to email her and she will help all she can.

Good luck with your application.
username1545603
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In 2015-16 students from a BME background comprised 21.9% of home undergraduate applicants, 20.1% of all offers and 20.0% of all students who accepted a place.

The report I found for you can be seen at - https://www.equality.admin.cam.ac.uk...ft_-_final.pdf

Hope this helps.
bella212121
Rep:
?
In 2015-16 students from a BME background comprised 21.9% of home undergraduate applicants, 20.1% of all offers and 20.0% of all students who accepted a place.

The report I found for you can be seen at - https://www.equality.admin.cam.ac.uk...ft_-_final.pdf

Hope this helps.

Thank you!!!
bella212121
Rep:
?
Morocco I love. Years ago, with others, I crossed the Atlas mountains and went down onto the Sahara and then crossed a large part of it with Tuareg tribesmen as guides.

2019 is not so far away and my advice is to start early to prepare, the application process is lengthy with a number of different phases and you cannot be too prepared for each of them).

My daughter has a number of Muslim friends at Fitz and there is quite a big university-wide Muslim Society, meeting regularly. She also helped out at applicants interviews in December and tells me there were an encouraging number girls in Muslim dress up for interview (but, of course, most who are interviewed do not gain a place as interviews are just one part of the overall assessment).

I have spoken to her and I will send you her email address. She says feel free to email her and she will help all she can.

Good luck with your application.
Yeah you are right. Thank you, I apreciate all your help and will get in contact with your daughter soon.
Doones
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Thanks
As I replied to your similar post in another thread:
"Don't forget about a third of any college cohort changes completely every year..."

Also, you have roughly a 20% chance that any offer you get (if you get one) will come from a different college anyway - due to the Winter Pool process.

And: https://isoc.co.uk may have some useful and relevant information for you.
threeportdrift
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
People get so offended because of statements like your middle sentence here, particularly the second half "and I know especially with Cambridge, this is often not the case". If you know with Cambridge this is not the case, then you must have access to statistics that evidence the diversity of Colleges. If you have that data, then you know the answer about which is most diverse.

The fact is that every College is a diverse as any other. Your personal judgement needs to be whether the University as a whole has the diversity you require.
username1865079
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Any college at Cambridge.
No difference.
......except for Murray Edwards and Newnham. They’re women only, so half the diversity is gone.
Doones
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vincrows)
......except for Murray Edwards and Newnham. They’re women only, so half the diversity is gone.
GPWM

Posted from TSR Mobile
artful_lounger
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by stoyfan)

It's disingenuous to ignore the fact that marginalised communities tend to feel more comfortable where there is some observable aspect of their community or culture. For someone who isn't part of that, it's irrelevant, but for example I'd certainly feel more comfortable somewhere I know has some consideration of LGBT issues, even if it's so simple as, in the case of Cambridge colleges, flying the Pride flag during Pride (such as Emmanuel does - and many colleges explicitly don't). It's easy for these institutions to make some minor attempt to cater to these communities, and so it's unsurprising someone may prefer to go to somewhere that does make the effort compared to one that doesn't?

In any case, for OP I can't really say other than suggesting as a previous commenter indicated, a college with a higher proportion of state school students may have a correspondingly higher level of ethnic diversity. This however can vary immensely though...and unlike my example, I'm not sure how much you can determine about ethnic diversity from e.g. clubs and societies, as it's not necessarily a cultural thing (although usually is). Obviously if there is an active Afro-Caribbean society, South Asian society, so on and so forth, then at least someone is making an effort, but as Doonesbury pointed out cohorts will vary from year to year anyway and it's possible a college which otherwise has a rich history in this area has a 3 year "dry spell" where they don't get any applications they deem suitable, for whatever reason.
username1865079
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Thanks
On a more serious note , I can guarantee how things are regarding diversity/race-related situation at Cambridge (at any college) is very different from the environment you’ve been in so far in your life.

Actually most of universities are like that, not just Cambridge, so ignore someone telling you otherwise.
black1blade
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

My daughter is mixed-race, identifies as black, is a member of the Afro-Caribbean Society, attends other ethnic minority group events across a large number of colleges. She is at Fitzwilliam and extremely happy there with about 6 or 7 black friends at Fitz in her year, approximately the same number of other ethnic minority friends there, and her real, tight, inner core group of friends are white simply because that's who live with her on her staircase and floor.

As someone who was pooled to fitzwilliam, I was very happy to find this channel .
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
traditionally King's College is the most right-on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (36)
13.95%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.14%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (54)
20.93%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (37)
14.34%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (32)
12.4%
How can I be the best version of myself? (78)
30.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed