The Student Room Group

Unsure or A Levels for Psychology at uni

So I’m in Y12 and currently take Sociology, English Language, Geography and Photography (although probably will drop Photography in Spring), last year not having too much of a clue as to what I wanted to do.

It’s come to realisation that I really am interested in Psychology (more specifically looking at psychology with counselling or forensic psychology) although I’m now really worried that I don’t have the right subjects!

Background info, my targets are CCB and I’m currently at that level (although we haven’t done a single assessment in sociology or geography yet sooooo....), bit low but get my predicted grades in Spring. Also received 2xA, 7xB and 2xC in my GCSEs which I never got round to sending off for remarking (pretty darn adamant that they were marked low without being vain)
You're fine. You don't need psychology A-Level to do it at uni. Some unis require a science, in which case Geography counts as one for most unis. I currently do forensic psychology at uni and I did Geography, Biology and Psychology. When I was looking for unis (I was also looking for straight psychology courses) the only requirements were either B or C in Maths/English GCSE, whatever the grades were for A-Levels which included either 1 or 2 sciences. Have a look around for courses/unis you like and the entry requirements and see what matches your subjects.
Also if you want to then work as a psychologist have a look on bps website, where it says which courses are accredited. That will narrow it down.
Original post by DrawTheLine
You're fine. You don't need psychology A-Level to do it at uni. Some unis require a science, in which case Geography counts as one for most unis. I currently do forensic psychology at uni and I did Geography, Biology and Psychology. When I was looking for unis (I was also looking for straight psychology courses) the only requirements were either B or C in Maths/English GCSE, whatever the grades were for A-Levels which included either 1 or 2 sciences. Have a look around for courses/unis you like and the entry requirements and see what matches your subjects.

Ahh thanks! I did see on some uni websites that geography was fine :smile: Thanks for clarifying
Reply 4
It’ll be fine! My GCSE’s were worse than yours, and I did English Lit, History and Media at a- level and I’m currently in my final year of my psychology degree and I love it.
Psychology normally has no specific prerequisites. Some courses indicated a scientific background is helpful or preferable, but these are few and far between (mainly Oxbridge and one or two other similar calibre courses).

You subjects are fine, just focus on doing as well in your final exams as possible :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest