The Student Room Group

I think i'm falling for my best friend! Confused Sexuality (gay or not)? I am lost

Hey guys, i have redone this thread cause i posted it in the wrong section before.

Anyhow, i really need help. I know it might be a bit long but if you do have time to read it please do so and help me out if possible!

I am 17 years old girl and everything was pretty normal for most part of my life so far. I study hard and do my best at school and blah blah. But in the last 6 months everything was turned upside down and i cannot find peace in my mind and emotions.
So me and my best friend, who i am gonna call ''Trish'', we have being friends from like before we were even born! Out parents were/are close friends, just like a family thing, and so we kinda grow up together as i was with her very frequently (all family events, xmas, celebrations etc) We were at every school year together and when not at school we spend all the time together. She is my best friend and have so memories and experiences with her... from the most funny to the saddest events in my life we were always united and face them together. I love her soooo much! She was always here for me when i needed her as well as i was for her We are talking about everything that bother each other, significant or insignificant, and she is the first and last person i hear before i sleep and wake up in the morning.

Anyways, recently (6months ago) we went to a common friend's party and Trish meet up with a guy i am gonna name ''Sam''. She told me that they started talking and that she keep in touch with him after the party. At first it was all just normal with me as she already had some bf in the past and i didn't have any problem with it...But now it was different..as she started to know him better they started talking more and more and then doing all kind of stuff together, studying, cooking , going out..everything! She even went a day trip with him and his family! After some time she then started to talk about him like he is the perfect guy for her and that she really love spending time with him... And i think that although she didn't admit it yet she is really in LOVE with him cause it's the first time that i see her sooo happy and always in a great mood for anything! Never before, even with her other previous bf , she never seemed as delighted as now!

She is like a machine emitting positiveness and euphoria out of nowhere towards everyone and anything when she is with him (and even when she is not). And me...instead of being happy for her ... i am going NUTS! I can't see anyone else making her laugh rather than me! I am jealous when she is spending all the time with him. I am jealous watching him touching her and hug her and KISS HER! I wanna punch him right in the face. And obviously i never told her anything about this cause i fear she will think that i am crazy weirdo and secondly i will embarrass myself in front of her. So i pretend that i am cool with it and just do all the stuff we usually do as normal. But inside me i am Burning!!!

After all this, i am thinking of her all the time! 24/7 and keep looking at my mobile phone every 5 seconds to see if i have a message from her. When we schedule a meet-up with her, i cant wait for time to pass so i can see her cute face and hear her voice. I am really obsess with her! More recently i even started to have some dreams with her... romantic dreams... where it's just me and her in my room sleeping together as we did when we were younger and that i am playing with her hair while watching her smile and then kiss her! I AM GOING CRAZY! i never have this type of dream before with ANY girl! And now i have one with HER! Wtf??

I am totally freaking out! I think i am totally in love with her and whenever i try to stop thinking about her after 5 min i am in her facebook page looking through her photos! I am afraid of being gay! I don't want to be gay. And also i dont want to be gay and at the same time in love with my best friend! I always though i like boys and thought i had a couple of crushes with 2 guys before but nothing felt like this one now! I am totally freaking out! I also dont want to lose her as she is my bestest friend! Whenever she hugs me i feel like all my problems and bad thoughts disappear immediately and feel my heart beating sooo fast to the point that i am worried that she might notice it (how hard it beats) and find out that i have feeling for her. I know i am getting crazy! If i continue writing about her i will never stop.

So now what do do?? I mean i am super confuse about everything! I cant find peace in my mind which doesn't let me concentrate to study. So now, am i gay first of all? if yes why i didn't know it yet? How do i tell my parents about being gay? and more importantly what i have to do with her...should i tell her about my feelings? and what if she stop being friend with me cause she will think i am a weirdo who is obsess with her? I just love her and want her to be happy but at the same time this contradicts with the other feeling of me that i don't want anyone else to make her happy except me. I am lost!

Honestly is like a living nightmare! I just want to be with her all the time! Please can someone tell me what is going on and find me a solutions to all this and make me stop thinking about her and be as we were before? I am just desperate.. can someone help

thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Hello. For coming out to your parents, I will tell them everything you have just told us. Or if too nervous show them this post. I understand how this love has grown because you hang around all the time. You may not be fully lesbian. If it is only her you may be bisexual.

Telling 'Trish' can go in many different ways so let's hope because you are best friends with her she won't react negatively. You can either:
Keep it a secret - she will never find out the truth and either would you on the relationship being possible.
Tell another good friend - they know 'Trish' more than I do and may help you understand your feelings and whether telling 'Trish' is a good idea.
Tell her - this will be very difficult. She may understand and even have a crush on you too, or she will find strange but your friendship is too hard to break so you go back to being best friends. Or she will freak out and leave your life for good.

The decision is yours, I hope it works! Best of luck! Xx
I believe you're just a little lost. In a few years, you will realise you don't love and want to marry girls.
Reply 3
Original post by CraZy_Lewis26
Hello. For coming out to your parents, I will tell them everything you have just told us. Or if too nervous show them this post. I understand how this love has grown because you hang around all the time. You may not be fully lesbian. If it is only her you may be bisexual.

Telling 'Trish' can go in many different ways so let's hope because you are best friends with her she won't react negatively. You can either:
Keep it a secret - she will never find out the truth and either would you on the relationship being possible.
Tell another good friend - they know 'Trish' more than I do and may help you understand your feelings and whether telling 'Trish' is a good idea.
Tell her - this will be very difficult. She may understand and even have a crush on you too, or she will find strange but your friendship is too hard to break so you go back to being best friends. Or she will freak out and leave your life for good.

The decision is yours, I hope it works! Best of luck! Xx

Thank you for providing some solutions/ideas! Honestly! They sound easy but in reality i feel i have a mountain to climb! Tell my parents what? That i think i have a crush with the girl i grow up like sisters? whom her parents are also like family to you? Impossible to do! i am scared just by thinking their reactions!

And that bisexual thing... how can i be sure? i mean i am so shocked from all this situation that i don't know what i like or not.. i mean i try to think if i like boys and i dont remember how being attracted to a boy feels like! Damn i am doomed! I am confused and i i feel like i will never be normal again :frown:

As for the 3 options about ''Trish'' i dont know which one NOT to eliminate. But you are right though those are possible options... I just dunno.. Not telling her and stay as i am now at the state i described in my 1st message, i will be in need for a psychiatrist in 2 months time cause i will go insane!!
The other option about telling another friend is not to viable as i dont trust many people.
And the 3rd option of telling her, is as you said, a risk of losing her for once and for all!

So basically i'm still lost.
Jeez why did that happen to me in the first place!!! Is there any chance of this be temporary and after some time go back as i use to be? But what i am sure about right now is that i am thinking of her more and more. And i miss her more than ever before when she is not with me. She is like stuck in my mind
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I believe you're just a little lost. In a few years, you will realise you don't love and want to marry girls.

You may be right but the problem is what i am gonna do now that i am going crazy??
Original post by ak999
You may be right but the problem is what i am gonna do now that i am going crazy??

I highly doubt you are actually attracted to girls and rather are jealous because you feel left out... Don't mess with her current relationship and be happy for her.
youre 17 , you're just confused.
Reply 8
Original post by ParkHyungSuk
I highly doubt you are actually attracted to girls and rather are jealous because you feel left out... Don't mess with her current relationship and be happy for her.

I hope you are right. But still not sure since, as i said before, she had other bf in the past but it didn't bother me as it bothers me now. Damn, ok i wont mess with her relationship and i wont tell her anything about this cause i really want her to be happy... but it hurts :frown:

lol if i had to choose one of the 2 i would choose him ...but if i had to choose between him and 'Trish' I would definitely choose my friend! She is the loveliest person i know
Original post by TheRuralJuror

Lol when people say at 17 ' I have always been attracted to guys but suddenly this one girl made me lesbian' don't they realise that makes it seem like being homosexual is a choice? (I don't believe it is but that is literally what they are saying)
Original post by ak999
I hope you are right. But still not sure since, as i said before, she had other bf in the past but it didn't bother me as it bothers me now. Damn, ok i wont mess with her relationship and i wont tell her anything about this cause i really want her to be happy... but it hurts :frown:

lol if i had to choose one of the 2 i would choose him ...but if i had to choose between him and 'Trish' I would definitely choose my friend! She is the loveliest person i know

OK that's cool, its for the best - you are obviously not lesbian, and perhaps you may be bi but I still believe it is because you have a strong bond with your friend and feel as if you are losing her. Perhaps a relationship with someone else is something that you should look for, direct your attentions to someone else. I think that these feelings will go away then.
You're coming across as an aggressive lesbian.
Reply 12
Original post by TheRuralJuror

i know that i am confused, but what should i do? those are my feelings i cant control them! I can't say to myself ''ok, you are 17, you no nothing about these stuff so stop feeling like this''

Lol when people say at 17 ' I have always been attracted to guys but suddenly this one girl made me lesbian' don't they realise that makes it seem like being homosexual is a choice? (I don't believe it is but that is literally what they are saying)

Maybe you are right...maybe is not a choice but how can you know in the first place what's your orientation? when do u find out what you are or not? gosh i am overthinking everything now. I just dunno with what perspective to look things at
Original post by ak999
i know that i am confused, but what should i do? those are my feelings i cant control them! I can't say to myself ''ok, you are 17, you no nothing about these stuff so stop feeling like this''

Maybe you are right...maybe is not a choice but how can you know in the first place what's your orientation? when do u find out what you are or not? gosh i am overthinking everything now. I just dunno with what perspective to look things at

You know when I asked you which you found more attractive and you said the guy? A true lesbian would not say that as they are not attracted to men at all. That is how you know. I am a straight guy and I will not suddenly think I am gay in a similar context bc that doesn't make sense.
I think the best thing for you is to find a relationship with someone else and these feelings will blow over. After all, going after your friend will only ruin her current relationship and maybe it might ruin your friendship.
ok you I don't know...you don't want my messed up advice, from a messed up past
ride the wave?

yeah but you could discover something in you're self only after a while, yet your right, since youre born with it but only realising it when you grow older.
anyways she's not gay I think, even I tought I was gay at 17 (true story) but nah maybe just so horned up I'd bang anything
Reply 16
You know when I asked you which you found more attractive and you said the guy? A true lesbian would not say that as they are not attracted to men at all. That is how you know. I am a straight guy and I will not suddenly think I am gay in a similar context bc that doesn't make sense.
I think the best thing for you is to find a relationship with someone else and these feelings will blow over. After all, going after your friend will only ruin her current relationship and maybe it might ruin your friendship.

I understand what you say...But for me (and most girls i think) the looks is not the only factor that determines if i am attracted to someone or not. My friend, is the loveliest person on earth! She is very caring, kind , intelligent and confident and unselfish! For me she is the most beautiful person i know! I mean i honestly deeply love her but dunno in what way i love her.

I will try to focus on someone else as you suggest cause you are right about ruining both of our lives. But i dont promise that i would be able to stop looking for her or staring at her pics before i go to sleep every night. And how to stop thinking of her when we literally spend most of the time of a day together? I wish it is as simple as you described though
Original post by ak999
Hey guys, i have redone this thread cause i posted it in the wrong section before.

Anyhow, i really need help. I know it might be a bit long but if you do have time to read it please do so and help me out if possible!

I am 17 years old girl and everything was pretty normal for most part of my life so far. I study hard and do my best at school and blah blah. But in the last 6 months everything was turned upside down and i cannot find peace in my mind and emotions.
So me and my best friend, who i am gonna call ''Trish'', we have being friends from like before we were even born! Out parents were/are close friends, just like a family thing, and so we kinda grow up together as i was with her very frequently (all family events, xmas, celebrations etc) We were at every school year together and when not at school we spend all the time together. She is my best friend and have so memories and experiences with her... from the most funny to the saddest events in my life we were always united and face them together. I love her soooo much! She was always here for me when i needed her as well as i was for her We are talking about everything that bother each other, significant or insignificant, and she is the first and last person i hear before i sleep and wake up in the morning.

Anyways, recently (6months ago) we went to a common friend's party and Trish meet up with a guy i am gonna name ''Sam''. She told me that they started talking and that she keep in touch with him after the party. At first it was all just normal with me as she already had some bf in the past and i didn't have any problem with it...But now it was different..as she started to know him better they started talking more and more and then doing all kind of stuff together, studying, cooking , going out..everything! She even went a day trip with him and his family! After some time she then started to talk about him like he is the perfect guy for her and that she really love spending time with him... And i think that although she didn't admit it yet she is really in LOVE with him cause it's the first time that i see her sooo happy and always in a great mood for anything! Never before, even with her other previous bf , she never seemed as delighted as now!

She is like a machine emitting positiveness and euphoria out of nowhere towards everyone and anything when she is with him (and even when she is not). And me...instead of being happy for her ... i am going NUTS! I can't see anyone else making her laugh rather than me! I am jealous when she is spending all the time with him. I am jealous watching him touching her and hug her and KISS HER! I wanna punch him right in the face. And obviously i never told her anything about this cause i fear she will think that i am crazy weirdo and secondly i will embarrass myself in front of her. So i pretend that i am cool with it and just do all the stuff we usually do as normal. But inside me i am Burning!!!

After all this, i am thinking of her all the time! 24/7 and keep looking at my mobile phone every 5 seconds to see if i have a message from her. When we schedule a meet-up with her, i cant wait for time to pass so i can see her cute face and hear her voice. I am really obsess with her! More recently i even started to have some dreams with her... romantic dreams... where it's just me and her in my room sleeping together as we did when we were younger and that i am playing with her hair while watching her smile and then kiss her! I AM GOING CRAZY! i never have this type of dream before with ANY girl! And now i have one with HER! Wtf??

I am totally freaking out! I think i am totally in love with her and whenever i try to stop thinking about her after 5 min i am in her facebook page looking through her photos! I am afraid of being gay! I don't want to be gay. And also i dont want to be gay and at the same time in love with my best friend! I always though i like boys and thought i had a couple of crushes with 2 guys before but nothing felt like this one now! I am totally freaking out! I also dont want to lose her as she is my bestest friend! Whenever she hugs me i feel like all my problems and bad thoughts disappear immediately and feel my heart beating sooo fast to the point that i am worried that she might notice it (how hard it beats) and find out that i have feeling for her. I know i am getting crazy! If i continue writing about her i will never stop.

So now what do do?? I mean i am super confuse about everything! I cant find peace in my mind which doesn't let me concentrate to study. So now, am i gay first of all? if yes why i didn't know it yet? How do i tell my parents about being gay? and more importantly what i have to do with her...should i tell her about my feelings? and what if she stop being friend with me cause she will think i am a weirdo who is obsess with her? I just love her and want her to be happy but at the same time this contradicts with the other feeling of me that i don't want anyone else to make her happy except me. I am lost!

Honestly is like a living nightmare! I just want to be with her all the time! Please can someone tell me what is going on and find me a solutions to all this and make me stop thinking about her and be as we were before? I am just desperate.. can someone help

thanks in advance

I can kind of relate. It was never anything this intense for me but I have had feelings for a friend. First of all, I would not worry too much about putting a label on yourself, unless you think that will make you feel better. If you do feel like labeling yourself, maybe you are bi.

As for coming out to your parents, tell them what you feel like they should know, tho I have to say I never felt the need to come out to anyone I will date whoever I want to and latest by the time I date a girl people will know I am not straight. I hope that makes sense.

Now if you actually romantically love your friend might be something to think about. Sometimes I spend so much time with one person I end up idolizing them in a way and then slowly start to obsess over them. I have no clue why I do that but I am sure I was never in love with any of those people.

If ''Trish'' is a good friend she won't have an issue with you telling her any of this. I can understand that you are scared, that´s completely normal. You could start by telling her that you might not be straight and see how she reacts.

Good luck, I hope you figure everything out and that everyone will accept you no matter who you are attracted to.
Original post by ak999
I understand what you say...But for me (and most girls i think) the looks is not the only factor that determines if i am attracted to someone or not. My friend, is the loveliest person on earth! She is very caring, kind , intelligent and confident and unselfish! For me she is the most beautiful person i know! I mean i honestly deeply love her but dunno in what way i love her.

I will try to focus on someone else as you suggest cause you are right about ruining both of our lives. But i dont promise that i would be able to stop looking for her or staring at her pics before i go to sleep every night. And how to stop thinking of her when we literally spend most of the time of a day together? I wish it is as simple as you described though

See those characteristics are a marker of a good friend, but not a lover - you idolise her for her good characteristics but think about it this way if you pursue a relationship with her and it fails you will not be able to have her as a friend. Do you think that's worth it?
If you focus on someone else, even when you are with her you would not be thinking of her in that way because you are romantically involved with someone else.
Reply 19
Original post by kathasora
I can kind of relate. It was never anything this intense for me but I have had feelings for a friend. First of all, I would not worry too much about putting a label on yourself, unless you think that will make you feel better. If you do feel like labeling yourself, maybe you are bi.

As for coming out to your parents, tell them what you feel like they should know, tho I have to say I never felt the need to come out to anyone I will date whoever I want to and latest by the time I date a girl people will know I am not straight. I hope that makes sense.

Now if you actually romantically love your friend might be something to think about. Sometimes I spend so much time with one person I end up idolizing them in a way and then slowly start to obsess over them. I have no clue why I do that but I am sure I was never in love with any of those people.

If ''Trish'' is a good friend she won't have an issue with you telling her any of this. I can understand that you are scared, that´s completely normal. You could start by telling her that you might not be straight and see how she reacts.

Good luck, I hope you figure everything out and that everyone will accept you no matter who you are attracted to.

Wow, you sound so cool and calm with all of this. It helps knowing that you went through a similar thing. So you think that it's just because i spend so much time with her that i ended up idolize her but is not a real feeling of being in love with her. hmm thank you... i need to think again about all my thoughts! I wish i could find an end to all of these.
As for the labels i freaked out cause i always though i was one thing but now all these happened and i am like,'' wtf..'Am i idiot or what?''
thanks for the advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending