Should I choose Loughborough University if I want to be a clinical psychologist

Watch
AKwong
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I would love to study at Loughborough University, but where should I go after graduated if I want to become a clinical psychologist?
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You need to get on a clinical psychology doctorate to be a clinical psychologist. That is the sticking point as they are extremely competitive. Typically those on the course have a masters, additional experience and have been through the application cycle more than once.

Going to Loughborough is fine. It is how you do during your degree and subsequent experience that is important.

There are websites that give a lot of advice on the subject.
alicewonderland2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
same! i went to loughborough and didn't love it though so im not going there. you do have to to a clinpsyD and although its possible to get on without a masters, it is required that you have at least a years experience which is why itd be useful for you to do a placement year degree to make sure you dont get on to the doctorate and decide you dont like it
AKwong
Rep:
?
Thanks Sulfolobus, my concern is that Loughborough does not offer clinical psychology Doctorate, is it possible to apply to other universities after my first degree, as Psychology field is so competitive. Or should I choose those Universities that also offer clinical psychology Doctorate?

I have received offers from Surrey, Royal Holloway, Nottingham and Essex. I am still waiting an offer from Loughborough which I really like.
AKwong
Rep:
?
Alicewonderland2 I also think that doing a placement year degree is important, especially to gain network in the field.

So do you mean that we don't need to do masters to get into doctorate if we have that one-year placement experience?
alicewonderland2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AKwong)
Alicewonderland2 I also think that doing a placement year degree is important, especially to gain network in the field.

So do you mean that we don't need to do masters to get into doctorate if we have that one-year placement experience?
not everyone will have a masters, but most will so unless you have extensive experience, its most likely you'll need to do a masters
Loughborough University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks Sulfolobus, my concern is that Loughborough does not offer clinical psychology Doctorate, is it possible to apply to other universities after my first degree, as Psychology field is so competitive. Or should I choose those Universities that also offer clinical psychology Doctorate?

I have received offers from Surrey, Royal Holloway, Nottingham and Essex. I am still waiting an offer from Loughborough which I really like.
Hi AKwong

Yes it is possible to go to a different uni to do a masters and if you've done really well in your undergrad degree - you shouldn't have a problem getting in anywhere.
However, if you feel more comfortable somewhere that does both - then that's a decision you need to make.

With others - where ever you choose - make sure they offer a placement option - it's really useful and does wonders for your future employability.

Good luck with your decisions
Vicky
AKwong
Rep:
?
Thanks Vicky, I'm still waiting for Loughborough's offer, I think I'll make it my firm choice because I really like the place and the course it offers.
Loughborough University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks Vicky, I'm still waiting for Loughborough's offer, I think I'll make it my firm choice because I really like the place and the course it offers.
Good luck hope you hear soon

Vicky
username3691208
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by alicewonderland2)
same! i went to loughborough and didn't love it though so im not going there. you do have to to a clinpsyD and although its possible to get on without a masters, it is required that you have at least a years experience which is why itd be useful for you to do a placement year degree to make sure you dont get on to the doctorate and decide you dont like it
Hi, would you mind sharing what you didn't like about loughborough? Just curious as I am also wanting to go there but haven't had a chance to look around yet.
alicewonderland2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by heln201)
Hi, would you mind sharing what you didn't like about loughborough? Just curious as I am also wanting to go there but haven't had a chance to look around yet.

it was nice, i think the campus was so big that it all felt a little disconnected for me! the course seemed good, and the food is great from what ive heard because of the sports emphasis, the meals have to be good! just not for me, but it could be perfect for you
username3691208
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by alicewonderland2)
it was nice, i think the campus was so big that it all felt a little disconnected for me! the course seemed good, and the food is great from what ive heard because of the sports emphasis, the meals have to be good! just not for me, but it could be perfect for you
Ah okay. Thank you for the reply!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (644)
33.49%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (815)
42.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.66%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.47%

Watched Threads