Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Sheffield Hallam and the University of Sheffield the sami uni? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I see both and get confused

ReputationRep:
    No. Two completely different universities.

ReputationRep:
    The University of Sheffield is in the Russell Group.

Sheffield Hallam is a former poly.

There's nothing wrong with either, but, on the whole, they cater to different sets of students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeapingLucy)
    No. Two completely different universities.
    What is the difference between them?

ReputationRep:
    No but if you have to ask then clearly Hallam is the one for you

ReputationRep:
    It’s like Cambridge/anglia ruskin, Newcastle/Northumbria, oxford/oxford Brooke’s, Manchester/Manc metropolitan.

Loads of examples
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rolls_Reus_0wner)
    What is the difference between them?
    The University Of Sheffield is more academic, it's in the Russell Group, meaning it does good research, and you will need higher grades to get in than for Sheffield Hallam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by showaeski)
    Well how is Hallam for me?

ReputationRep:
    The University Of Sheffield is more academic, it's in the Russell Group, meaning it does good research, and you will need higher grades to get in than for Sheffield Hallam.
    I'm looking at Sheffield since you don't need physics for engineering

ReputationRep:
    For example, to do history at Sheffield, you need AAB in your A levels.

To do history at sheffield Hallam, you need 112 UCAS Points, which equates to BBC.

ReputationRep:
    For example, to do history at Sheffield, you need AAB in your A levels.

To do history at sheffield Hallam, you need 112 UCAS Points, which equates to BBC.
    Yh the actual Sheffield for me then (hopefully)

ReputationRep:
    University of Sheffield is much more academic it is considered as a good university.
    If you said I went to Sheffield people would presume "University of Sheffield"
    Sheffield Hallam is not as good of a uni and is often viewed as "those who didn't get into the University of Sheffield"

ReputationRep:
    Nope, different unis. One is better and the other is Hallam
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Comments like this aren't needed and they're not being asked for. Please refrain from being rude to other posters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    Comments like this aren't needed and they're not being asked for. Please refrain from being rude to other posters.
    Jokes man loads of my mates are at Hallam including two of my housemates. Baffled me how OP didn't know the difference between unis yet is considering applying to a RG uni. Simple google wouldn't have gone amiss either.
    To OP: for sure come to Uni of Sheffield, our engineering department is top notch. May I ask why you're not doing physics though? Most universities require it for a reason. You should be fine if you've done the mechanics modules in A level maths, but if it's not too late then definitely consider physics. However, they pretty much go over the stuff required from A level maths and physics in first year (but at a higher speed).

ReputationRep:
    Jokes man loads of my mates are at Hallam including two of my housemates. Baffled me how OP didn't know the difference between unis yet is considering applying to a RG uni. Simple google wouldn't have gone amiss either.
    To OP: for sure come to Uni of Sheffield, our engineering department is top notch. May I ask why you're not doing physics though? Most universities require it for a reason. You should be fine if you've done the mechanics modules in A level maths, but if it's not too late then definitely consider physics. However, they pretty much go over the stuff required from A level maths and physics in first year (but at a higher speed).
    I missed out by 2 marks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.