The Student Room Group

Research grant and supervising PhD

Hello !

I am not sure to post that question in the right topic but here it is:
I would like to apply for a PhD in Law, but I have just seen that a potential supervisor has be awarded a grant for "major research fellowship". Does it mean that the professor will not be able to supervise PhD thesis for two or three years ?

Thank you for your answers !
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
Reply 2
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Hi !

Thank you very much ! It is very nice of you !
Original post by aimryonne
Hello !

I would like to apply for a PhD in Law, but I have just seen that a potential supervisor has be awarded a grant for "major research fellowship". Does it mean that the professor will not be able to supervise PhD thesis for two or three years ?

Not necessarily. It depends on the teams of their fellowship. Have you been in touch with them and asked if they can take on a student?
Generally no. In fact, fellowships often mean academics have more time as they may be doing less teaching. But ultimately you would have to contact the supervisor to check if they are taking on PhD students anyway.
Reply 5

Actually, I know that the professor in question takes students for PhD, but I have not contacted him personally as the University encourages fair selection and adivses students not to take much contact with professors (so I did not dare ask him about that particular issue).

Actually, I know that the professor in question takes students for PhD, but I have not contacted him personally as the University encourages fair selection and adivses students not to take much contact with professors (so I did not dare ask him about that particular issue).

Really? That is the weirdest thing I have ever heard. Unless this is not for the UK. Here everyone is strongly encouraged to approach potential supervisors before applying. The relationship you will have with your supervisor can make or break your PhD so it's essential that you work out from early on if they are the right fit for you.
Reply 7
Original post by alleycat393
Really? That is the weirdest thing I have ever heard. Unless this is not for the UK. Here everyone is strongly encouraged to approach potential supervisors before applying. The relationship you will have with your supervisor can make or break your PhD so it's essential that you work out from early on if they are the right fit for you.

Yes, or at least, it is how I understand it :

"Any other correspondence that you might have, for example with a potential supervisor, cannot be taken to constitute an offer of a place or an assurance of an offer in due course. There is no need for you to contact any individual faculty member about your application before submitting it; the Degree Committee consults prospective supervisors in relation to those applications which seem otherwise admissible as part of the application process. We advise Faculty members not to engage in lengthy correspondence with applicants."
Yes, or at least, it is how I understand it :

"Any other correspondence that you might have, for example with a potential supervisor, cannot be taken to constitute an offer of a place or an assurance of an offer in due course. There is no need for you to contact any individual faculty member about your application before submitting it; the Degree Committee consults prospective supervisors in relation to those applications which seem otherwise admissible as part of the application process. We advise Faculty members not to engage in lengthy correspondence with applicants."

This to me means that talking to a supervisor does not guarantee you a place or constitute an offer and they will not comment on your application at length. They will still be asked about you as an applicant and if you have made contact and made some impression on them they will share that. I would still encourage you to do so.
Reply 9
Original post by alleycat393
This to me means that talking to a supervisor does not guarantee you a place or constitute an offer and they will not comment on your application at length. They will still be asked about you as an applicant and if you have made contact and made some impression on them they will share that. I would still encourage you to do so.

All right !

Thank you for your help !
I am going to ask the professor himself, then !
Hello !

Certainly not! It is actually a good thing for you, to be fair. If the potential supervisor finds you hardworking and conscientious, he/she would potentially ask you to help out in the research, even early on in your PhD. This could potentially mean paper writing, conferences, data for your research, etc, potentially boosting your CV. It will be your duty, though, in the midst of all these to ensure that you keep the focus on your PhD -as that is your primary aim!

And yes, I wrote this, out of an ongoing experience of mine! First though, you need to find out if the supervisor is taking students.
I am sure he/she would- but fewer in number than what is normal for him/her.
Reply 11
Original post by Cranfield University
Certainly not! It is actually a good thing for you, to be fair. If the potential supervisor finds you hardworking and conscientious, he/she would potentially ask you to help out in the research, even early on in your PhD. This could potentially mean paper writing, conferences, data for your research, etc, potentially boosting your CV. It will be your duty, though, in the midst of all these to ensure that you keep the focus on your PhD -as that is your primary aim!

And yes, I wrote this, out of an ongoing experience of mine! First though, you need to find out if the supervisor is taking students.
I am sure he/she would- but fewer in number than what is normal for him/her.

Thank you for that positive and very encouraging answer ! This would be a great thing in fact to have such an opportunity to work in depth on a particular subject !
Thank you for that positive and very encouraging answer ! This would be a great thing in fact to have such an opportunity to work in depth on a particular subject !

You are welcome! It is a situation I am currently going through at the moment and, despite the heavy workload, I am actually enjoying it.
Hopefully, you will too.

Cheers!

Quick Reply

Latest