Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Long story short I was talking to a counsellor, and he suggested I get an IQ test.
    I didn't but I got in contact with him recently and asked why he suggested it and he said something along the lines of 'You would need to be formally tested but I think it's fair to put it in the region of 140+, which is typically the point where we see some hinderance on the individuals personal life'.

I've yet to be formally tested, since online ones are not valid but that being said I consistently score 135 and above, after 140 the results become less precise and more redundant.

This is not a boast post, it has it's benefits but it's definitely a hinderance..
    I suffer horribly with depression, I'm a very logical person, I'm also bordering on the pessimistic, they say ignorance is bliss, I'd agree..
    I like getting drunk because I can interact with people, I can't converse normally with people, especially when in a group.
    I'm great when it comes to discussing something, or adding in a fact but when it's just banter, a bit of a laugh I'm really bad..
    I always feel like an outsider.
    I'm not autistic, nor do I have Aspergers to any degree, I've a high level of emotional intelligence and I do quite well when flirting and talking to girls, but in groups I'm redundant.

Alcohol apparently drops your IQ by about 20 or so points when you're drunk.
    I still 'come across as drunk' and people can usually never tell when I'm plastered drunk but I don't remember it the next morning.
    But it still acts as social lubricant, I can engage with people, partly due to some form of social anxiety but also because in all honesty I'm not like others..

It's a good thing and a bad thing, being slightly more intelligent is a plus but theres a cut off where it becomes inhibiting, much like height.
    Girls like tall guys, but after 6'6 you're worse off because of it.
    I think that's the best similarity I can give..

I'm not that great at maths either, I like understanding and researching the concepts but I'm much better at English, it was my favourite subject, (despite what my grammar might tell you)..
    At the minute I'm quite good at Information Systems, IT and Marketing.
    But not maths, I'm certainly not one of the great scientific minds of this generation.

I'm creative, I get praised for my ability on the guitar, I sing as well.. but I listen to very depressing music (think City and Colour), but I love lyrics, I love Rap music because I love learning how the words work together, how the rhythm is used..

I'm writing this because I don't know where to go from here, I feel I'm destined to be somewhat of an outsider.
    I can't very well learn off social interactions, but I want to work at it..
    I'm considering going to see a counsellor or a psychologist.. but then again I'm not a fan of talking to people directly about it.. I tend to post online, hence this post..
    It's me venting, getting everything out..
    I'm also asking your opinion,
    Or if you've any questions I'd be happy to help.

I'm sorry if this came across as pretentious, or conceited..
    It's very difficult to write about yourself, run through all of your thoughts and not sound self indulgent, so I apologise.

ReputationRep:
    I feel the exact same way, thinking all your life that something is a bit off from taking personality tests to mental illness tests all coming back straight, but at the end of the day you're just different , i hate giving advice because it's easy on paper but not in reality , and anything i say would probably not change your mind but keep being you man, stop wasting time looking at theories and daydreaming about improvements in your life and actually do them, you might be smarter than your own good, but not smart enough to get out of your rut on your own.P.s stop procrastinating

ReputationRep:
    Don't get ahead of yourself buddy. Pipe down.

ReputationRep:
    Damn it man I suffer from THIS EXACT SAME curse. My IQ is extremely high and it feels like I enjoy Rick and Morty far too much. The sheer scale of my IQ is even directly proportional to the RAGE I felt when McDonalds didn't have any szenchuan sauce for my tenders. I feel your pain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigGuyAkhenaten)
    Damn it man I suffer from THIS EXACT SAME curse. My IQ is extremely high and it feels like I enjoy Rick and Morty far too much. The sheer scale of my IQ is even directly proportional to the RAGE I felt when McDonalds didn't have any szenchuan sauce for my tenders. I feel your pain.
    Funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GausIsTheBoss)
    Don't get ahead of yourself buddy. Pipe down.
    Getting ahead of myself, really?
    Thanks, buddy.

ReputationRep:
    Try getting an accurate IQ test.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Look OP I’m the same...but better. I am great at english( which is not even my native language, I speak 4 fluently) and great at maths too (100% in my last uni course). And also I can adapt to any social situation and be the centre of attention, despite the fact I feel like an outsider and I’m extremely introverted. The fact that you can’t do those things doesn’t imply you have a high IQ, it shows you have weaknesses and you overestimate your intelligence. So humble yourself, and stop treating your weaknesses as an outcome of “IQ”. Just work on getting better at them.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by SeanLaurentParis)
    Can you not email Mensa mental health support? Poor you...

None of the problems you listed are anything to do with your 'IQ'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    Look OP I’m the same...but better. I am great at english( which is not even my native language, I speak 4 fluently) and great at maths too (100% in my last uni course). And also I can adapt to any social situation and be the centre of attention, despite the fact I feel like an outsider and I’m extremely introverted. The fact that you can’t do those things doesn’t imply you have a high IQ, it shows you have weaknesses and you overestimate your intelligence. So humble yourself, and stop treating your weaknesses as an outcome of “IQ”. Just work on getting better at them.
    That's not justification of IQ, it's some implications, I've mentioned of depression and what would seem like social anxiety, neither of which are a direct result of my intelligence, but IQ does make you somewhat of an outsider, just like it would if I was closer to having a very low IQ I'd be in a somewhat similar situation.

I'm not saying it's a good thing, at least not entirely.
    I'm going to argue the point of what is or is not an effect of IQ.
    I was moved up in school, I was put onto higher level courses.
    I was tested by my school counsellor.
    My school was too small for an advanced class so I just got my work done quickly and went on with the other additional work..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecolier)
    Can you not email Mensa mental health support? Poor you...
    I'm Irish so there's nothing close to me, but I was in contact with them before.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    That's not justification of IQ, it's some implications, I've mentioned of depression and what would seem like social anxiety, neither of which are a direct result of my intelligence, but IQ does make you somewhat of an outsider, just like it would if I was closer to having a very low IQ I'd be in a somewhat similar situation.

I'm not saying it's a good thing, at least not entirely.
    I'm going to argue the point of what is or is not an effect of IQ.
    I was moved up in school, I was put onto higher level courses.
    I was tested by my school counsellor.
    My school was too small for an advanced class so I just got my work done quickly and went on with the other additional work..
    If you actually had such a high IQ, you’d be able to mask your depression and social anxiety, just like I do. They’re not a result of your intelligence, but your intelligence would allow you to hide them perfectly in social situations...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm Irish so there's nothing close to me, but I was in contact with them before.
    Can't you set one up? And then start a mental health support?

ReputationRep:
    I can relate... My IQ has been tested (allthough a few years ago) and I'm at 143. Keep in mind though that IQ is only an indication of how far ahead you are in relation to peers, and it doesn't test all kinds of intelligence. This is also why gifted kids prefer to talk to adults. So you are obviously intelligent if your IQ is high, but it doesn't mean you are superior. Maybe others are socially more capable than you, and being socially capable is equally as important as your maths grade. It's something you can practice too.

Btw I play guitar too (and piano)

ReputationRep:
    If you actually had such a high IQ, you’d be able to mask your depression and social anxiety, just like I do. They’re not a result of your intelligence, but your intelligence would allow you to hide them perfectly in social situations...
    I do have friends, I'm not that bad, I get along with a lot of people it's just I don't feel like I'm competent, I'm good at moving between groups, I just don't feel comfortable myself, but I don't think it really comes across.

ReputationRep:
    You may just have a higher stimulation threshold. The best thing to do is venture into understanding areas of which you know little, which (as goes the capacity of man to the vast expanse of knowledge) is nearly everything. For example, my battle to gain an even trivial understanding of physics and biology, as a lowly politics graduate and English teacher, has been titillating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    None of the problems you listed are anything to do with your 'IQ'.
    He doesn't have those problems as a result of a high IQ but the type of person and character that's likely to have these problems is also likely to have a high IQ, so maybe getting tested is like a validation that his problems are real? If that makes any sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecolier)
    Can't you set one up? And then start a mental health support?
    There is some involvement in the nearest city (where I go to college) but I'm on break at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody has a clue, I was brought to the counsellor because my parents thought I was gifted as a child..
    It's not entirely true either way, intelligence has been linked to mental illness, I think anyone can hide it though.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.