Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it possible to go from manager to senior manager after 1 year at big 4? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Say if I'm a manager at PWC within audit, can I apply for senior manager roles within audit at other big 4 firms and have a chance?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by e^x)
    Say if I'm a manager at PWC within audit, can I apply for senior manager roles within audit at other big 4 firms and have a chance?
    Hello there.:hi:

I've asked for your thread to be moved into the Finance and accountancy forum where you should hopefully get the advice you need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Hello there.:hi:

I've asked for your thread to be moved into the Finance and accountancy forum where you should hopefully get the advice you need.
    Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by e^x)
    Highly unlikely. One year of manager will likely see you pushed down essentially to a new manager unless you are exceptional. It will normally take at least two years as manager to make senior manager at your own firm and if you move you’ll need to build a new network, portfolio, reputation and business case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natninja)
    Highly unlikely. One year of manager will likely see you pushed down essentially to a new manager unless you are exceptional. It will normally take at least two years as manager to make senior manager at your own firm and if you move you’ll need to build a new network, portfolio, reputation and business case.
    Do you hold a position within the big 4?
    Is it realistic to become a director in 8/9 years after starting as a grad?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by e^x)
    Do you hold a position within the big 4?
    Is it realistic to become a director in 8/9 years after starting as a grad?
    Yes, I’m currently a senior associate.

Is it possible... well usually the quickest would be 3 years to qualify then 1-2 before manager promotion (firm dependent) then another 2 minimum as manager before 2-3 as senior manager so 8-10 years to director (more likely towards the 10 year end though) and 10-14 years for partner in total assuming quickest possible progression. So all considered yes it would be realistic but not easy.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I’m currently a senior associate.

Is it possible... well usually the quickest would be 3 years to qualify then 1-2 before manager promotion (firm dependent) then another 2 minimum as manager before 2-3 as senior manager so 8-10 years to director (more likely towards the 10 year end though) and 10-14 years for partner in total assuming quickest possible progression. So all considered yes it would be realistic but not easy.
    Can you tell me more in terms of having a business case? Is it an interview? Have you prepared one yet?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by e^x)
    Can you tell me more in terms of having a business case? Is it an interview? Have you prepared one yet?
    At my firm you don’t have to prepare a business case until you go up for promotion to manager but essentially you need to persuade the partnership why you are a suitable candidate and how you will help develop the practice beyond merely doing your job.

ReputationRep:
    At my firm you don’t have to prepare a business case until you go up for promotion to manager but essentially you need to persuade the partnership why you are a suitable candidate and how you will help develop the practice beyond merely doing your job.
    How did you find the ACA exams? Do you have to study after work or can you get away with studying on weekends?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e^x)
    How did you find the ACA exams? Do you have to study after work or can you get away with studying on weekends?
    For the harder exams you will need to do a lot more than just revise on weekends. You'll get some study leave but probably not enough so you'll need to do revision after work, yes.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by e^x)
    We got college time for a few weeks before each set but definitely had to study after college and on weekends, they aren't too bad - more volume than difficulty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stirkee)
    For the harder exams you will need to do a lot more than just revise on weekends. You'll get some study leave but probably not enough so you'll need to do revision after work, yes.
    We got college time for a few weeks before each set but definitely had to study after college and on weekends, they aren't too bad - more volume than difficulty.
    Are you with Kaplan or BPP or other?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e^x)
    BPP
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by e^x)
    Kaplan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stirkee)
    BPP
    Kaplan
    Do you think moving to equity research after ACA/ICAS would be easy?
    Also do think getting promoted after qualifying is harder in some service lines is easier/harder than other service lines?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.