Worried about heart problems Watch

This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm not sure I really should be worrying about it considering I'm only 19 but almost the entirety of my dad's family have heart problems and I'm concerned I'll have problems too.

My dad had irregular heartbeats and had to have 2 operations to fix it, my uncle has a pacemaker and has had blood clots, another uncle had a heart attack, another uncle has the same issue as my dad, my nan had blocked arteries and had to have an operation a few years ago, my granddad had 2 heart attacks and angina which killed him. On my mum's side it is only my granddad who also had angina. My dad has 5 brothers, and only 2 haven't had any issues yet. That scares me.

Their problems all started from their 50s onwards I believe (my mum's dad died really young though) so I know I shouldn't really worry about it today, but I do. I have a fast resting heart beat typically around 80-90bpm (which I know might not be considered to be fast but compared to other people I've been around it's like 20 beats higher) so that worries me. Also today I had chest and back pains lasting about 2 hours on and off and I got scared that something was happening to me already, although they've gone now so it's alright.

I know this site isn't for medical advice and that's not what I'm asking for, I'm just venting my concern about having heart problems. I know you can't really predict these things, however I'd say my chances of developing one is higher than normal considering all the history.
evegeog
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Get yourself to your GP, explain your family history and the problems you’ve been having. The most important part of treatment is prevention. Request a blood test (if the GP doesn’t offer you one) and at least a 24 hour ECG. Stressing about it also won’t help your heart rate. You’ll probably be referred to the cardiologist and they’ll take it from there. Maybe it’s just a case of taking beta blockers to slow your heart rate but it’s always worth having a look to diagnose any serious problems early. The earlier you are the easier it is to treat.

I’m 18 and my resting heart rate is about 130 but there’s nothing wrong with my heart so it could also be that. Some people are just like that although stress is a major factor in heart rate.

Most importantly GET YOURSELF TO THE GP!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by evegeog)
Get yourself to your GP, explain your family history and the problems you’ve been having. The most important part of treatment is prevention. Request a blood test (if the GP doesn’t offer you one) and at least a 24 hour ECG. Stressing about it also won’t help your heart rate. You’ll probably be referred to the cardiologist and they’ll take it from there. Maybe it’s just a case of taking beta blockers to slow your heart rate but it’s always worth having a look to diagnose any serious problems early. The earlier you are the easier it is to treat.

I’m 18 and my resting heart rate is about 130 but there’s nothing wrong with my heart so it could also be that. Some people are just like that although stress is a major factor in heart rate.

Most importantly GET YOURSELF TO THE GP!
Thank you. I have an appointment in a week and a half for another thing so I think I'll mention it and see what they say. I don't feel too stressed it's just a passing worry every now and then, but especially today with the pains.
evegeog
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you. I have an appointment in a week and a half for another thing so I think I'll mention it and see what they say. I don't feel too stressed it's just a passing worry every now and then, but especially today with the pains.
Don’t worry at all. Most likely it will be nothing. And if it is something serious you will have caught it so early it won’t have chance to progress into something harmful
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
A.shaquile
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Take necessary precautions like dont smoke, avoid junk food, have a healthy balanced diet, dont take stress and exercise regularly.I know this is not of much help but it could help reduce the risk.
Kindred
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm closing this thread because it's old and that gets confusing. If anybody wants to discuss something similar please feel free to post a new thread.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.45%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (90)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (129)
14.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.56%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed