Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I will be starting university in September and although it's a long way off I'm getting confused with student finance. I have savings which will give me around £4000 per year and as I am from a low income household i will get maximum support from the government, but I'm not sure how much I will need. if I for example only apply for half the maximum amount of gov. loans and I find out i don't have enough money can apply for the rest of the loan later in the year, and if so how long would it take to arrive? or would it be better to apply for the max and then adjust it for the following year?
    I would also love to know how much it is costing you per year and how/what your budget is like.
    thank you!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Pinkdaisy1)
    I will be starting university in September and although it's a long way off I'm getting confused with student finance. I have savings which will give me around £4000 per year and as I am from a low income household i will get maximum support from the government, but I'm not sure how much I will need. if I for example only apply for half the maximum amount of gov. loans and I find out i don't have enough money can apply for the rest of the loan later in the year, and if so how long would it take to arrive? or would it be better to apply for the max and then adjust it for the following year?
    I would also love to know how much it is costing you per year and how/what your budget is like.
    thank you!
    It’s best to apply for the maximum and put as much as possible into your savings.

At the end of first year if you move into private accommodation you will normally be asked for a deposit and some rent in advance - before your loans for second year come through. So having some of your loan set aside will be helpful.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.