FM08
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Do you go 3/4 way down, tense stomach and back up or fully down to just off floor and back up? I can never decide what is best, so what is? Cheers.
Peter North
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
this
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Its pretty variable on what you want to work and what you want to achieve. Situps are normally where you raise your torso off the ground and bring it up so that its vertical and parallel with your legs. Putting your feet under something heavier makes it easier because it brings your hip flexors into play, so you end up working your abs and hips over a wider range of motion compared to crunches.

Crunches are where you contract your abs and simply raise your torso and shoulders just off the ground, like Amsterman posted. These work your abs over a much smaller range of motion so less muscle is activated and without your feet being anchored you can't use your hip flexor to help you.

At the end of it they're both working towards the same goals and the exercises share many similarities. In the bodybuilding community situps are reportedly able to build more muscle mass than crunches (when done within the correct rep range people, don't rape me) because they have a much greater range of movement and so, recruit more muscle fibres, potentially leading to greater muscle growth. Also situps can be more beneficial to people who do high impact activites because the hip flexors can act as shock absorbers, so working them can help to protect your body from the rigors of running, jumping and the like.
m i l o
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I find that if I go 3/4 of the way down it works my abs more than going on my back.
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
do crunches they are more effective than situps.
AlphaTango
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Try tuck crunches. And you'll never have to do a situp or crunch again
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (69)
23.71%
No (222)
76.29%

Watched Threads