Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am looking to apply for medicine this year for 2019. Happy as larry and all going well until I saw a dreaded piece of information that said graduates do not get tuition fees paid for the 5 year programme. Devastated!

I am a single mother living in a rented home. Parents, family and friends nearby and I couldn't do without them childcare wise! (and life wise!). My closest uni unfortunately does not run the grad med programme for 4 years with the grad funding (damn!) and the next closest uni to me is 1.5-2 hours drive. The first year of my current midwifery degree, I spent travelling this far too and with a child it is NOT fun so do not intend to do the same again (I have now transferred to a nearer uni).

I have looked into: charity funding. it's usually a couple of hundred pounds per year maximum. Moving closer to a uni with GEM course but then i'll have no childcare. Grants etc at my chosen uni, they do something like £3000 in first year followed by £1000 in subsequent years until 5th year. I looked at paying tuition fees from maintenance loan and then working part time alongside but realistically this will be near impossible doing a med degree, clinical placements, parenting and running a house.

My question is: any advice at all????? anything???? funding ideas??? PLEASE! I don't want to give up on this.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by strek1)
    I am looking to apply for medicine this year for 2019. Happy as larry and all going well until I saw a dreaded piece of information that said graduates do not get tuition fees paid for the 5 year programme. Devastated!

I am a single mother living in a rented home. Parents, family and friends nearby and I couldn't do without them childcare wise! (and life wise!). My closest uni unfortunately does not run the grad med programme for 4 years with the grad funding (damn!) and the next closest uni to me is 1.5-2 hours drive. The first year of my current midwifery degree, I spent travelling this far too and with a child it is NOT fun so do not intend to do the same again (I have now transferred to a nearer uni).

I have looked into: charity funding. it's usually a couple of hundred pounds per year maximum. Moving closer to a uni with GEM course but then i'll have no childcare. Grants etc at my chosen uni, they do something like £3000 in first year followed by £1000 in subsequent years until 5th year. I looked at paying tuition fees from maintenance loan and then working part time alongside but realistically this will be near impossible doing a med degree, clinical placements, parenting and running a house.

My question is: any advice at all????? anything???? funding ideas??? PLEASE! I don't want to give up on this.
    Hi Strek1,

If you gain a degree and then go on to study a 5 year medicine degree, you would be eligible for a maintenance loan only for the first 4 years and a reduced rate maintenance loan in subsequent years.

If you gain a degree and go on to study a 4 year graduate entry medicine course, you would be eligible for a tuition fee loan of £3465 in year 1 and a full maintenance loan as well as supplementary grants (such as Childcare Grant, Parents Learning Allowance and Adult Dependents Grant). You would then be eligible for a tuition fee loan of £5535 and a reduced rate maintenance loan in years 2 to 4. You may also be eligible for a bursary and possibly supplementary grants from the NHS.

Unfortunately I can't give any advice on other funding options but I would recommend speaking with the university as they may be able to point you in the direction of other options.

I hope this information helps and good luck with your studies.

Warm regards,

John.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.