The Student Room Group

biomedical science foundation year

hi, is anyone thinking about studying a biomedical science degree with a foundation year? so far I have received offers from Kingston, Westminster, UEL and anglia ruskin.
Reply 1
I’m going to do Biomedical Science w/ Foundation Year as well and I have an offer from Westminster, Kingston, Greenwich and I’m still waiting for Reading.
Reply 2
Original post by pjcarsolon
I’m going to do Biomedical Science w/ Foundation Year as well and I have an offer from Westminster, Kingston, Greenwich and I’m still waiting for Reading.

do you know which university you'll be going to?
Reply 3
Original post by aminasaleemi
do you know which university you'll be going to?

My decisions still aren’t final but I’m going Reading (if I get an offer and not a rejection lol) and my insurance would be either Westminster or Greenwich since they both offer things that are really good.
Reply 4
Original post by pjcarsolon
My decisions still aren’t final but I’m going Reading (if I get an offer and not a rejection lol) and my insurance would be either Westminster or Greenwich since they both offer things that are really good.

Thats really cool, I’m still unsure which University to go but I’m pretty sure Iran between Kingston or Westminster.
Reply 5
Thats really cool, I’m still unsure which University to go but I’m pretty sure Iran between Kingston or Westminster.

Westminster is a good University and I would’ve choose it as my insurance but Reading’s modules are sick! They really have interesting modules and that makes me want to go to Reading. I’m torn between Westminster and Greenwich since Greenwich offers me a Biomedical Science w/o foundation year so that will make me save money and time lol. But I haven’t been to the Uni itself so Idk.
Reply 6
That’s so good!! And I’m definitely wanting to do a foundation, I took a gap year and I think it would benefit me more but I don’t know which University would be suited for me. Even University of east London looks good but still I have zero idea.
Reply 7
That’s so good!! And I’m definitely wanting to do a foundation, I took a gap year and I think it would benefit me more but I don’t know which University would be suited for me. Even University of east London looks good but still I have zero idea.

I want to do a foundation year as well since I don’t really do any A Level Science subject so it’s quite a shocking for me to received an offer w/o Foundation (I’m currently doing Applied Science Sub. Diploma so still quite shocking lol). I think the main reason I had to choose my firm choise is the module itself. Since you’re gonna study that for 4 years (foundation) and you should like the modules itself first. Then I look at the location, (I don’t like to party so I look at a Uni with really quiet surroundings) then yeah, distance from home since I might not take any accommodation. **hope that helps lol.
Reply 8
Yeah I see what you mean and I’ve heard that Kingston’s foundation is quite bad because you’re at the college and you’re dealing with immature people but then Westminster is bag in the city centre and I’m already okay with staying in an accommodation. But then I thought I’d also like to do the industry year but only Kingston and UEL actually say yes you can do it with out hassle.
Reply 9
Yeah I see what you mean and I’ve heard that Kingston’s foundation is quite bad because you’re at the college and you’re dealing with immature people but then Westminster is bag in the city centre and I’m already okay with staying in an accommodation. But then I thought I’d also like to do the industry year but only Kingston and UEL actually say yes you can do it with out hassle.

That’s one of the reason why I don’t want to do it in Kingston but I still applied and it will be a good thing to have back up Universities in case no one accepts me lol. Westminster on the other hand is in a lovely city so life wouldn’t get boring as well although it’s mostly near places where terrorists attacks happened so I’m quite scared. :/
Reply 10
Oh well that’s not really the best thing in the world. But what did you think of Westminster when you went there??
Reply 11
Oh well that’s not really the best thing in the world. But what did you think of Westminster when you went there??

I like their facilities in the Science campus. Their library is pretty equipped as well as there’s a place where you can stay 24 hrs. to study or do stuffs which would be useful during exam days. I also like how it’s near Regent St. (which would be my friend’s campus ‘cause she’s going to take English Lang.). So basically, I like the location itself and how easy it is to travel from home. The modules is basically the same from other Unis. (except Reading).
Reply 12
hi, is anyone thinking about studying a biomedical science degree with a foundation year? so far I have received offers from Kingston, Westminster, UEL and anglia ruskin.

I am a former student, almost near graduation now, at ARU doing Biomed. One of my mate did biomedical science with foundation year in ARU and he chose ARU because of the module distribution which helped him up till the final year of the course and of course the lecturers' execution of the subject. The best thing about ARU is that you don't have to do everything on your own. There are so many helpful resources that can be achieved without appointments. If I have a problem understanding anything, I speak to the lecturer after the lecture or I would just go and talk to them in their office. I don't have to make an official appointment. If I were you, I would choose ARU deffo.
I've chosen westminster!
I know it’s been a year since this thread started but I am in the same boat as you guys. I am currently doing English Lit, Sociology and History with predicted grades of AAB. I have been given an unconditional offer from Westminster and a conditional offer from Reading Uni but I really don’t know where to go. If I go to reading and finish my one year foundation course I can transfer to Kings or Brunel or some good uni in London. But if I go to Westminster I can’t transfer to any good uni but I got a £5000 scholarship where did you guys go? And what did u think I should do😢
I am final year Biomed Sc at Kingston and I did a foundation year. It helps smooth your path into year 1 and it will give you more confidence in your basic knowledge of biology, chemistry, maths and research methods.

From what I heard from professors and working as scientists in the NHS and interviewing graduates from Kingston and Greenwich, Kingston ones are far better prepared and confident in their skills.

UEL gets less research funding because they are not research oriented so you will have less chances to get a summer internship or any experience during your degree and improve your lab skills which are VITAL for future careers or postgraduate programme entry.

Not sure about Reading. Haven't heard any good or bad things about it. From anyone. And I have done internships, been to conferences, asked around. That should say something about it.

The most important thing for a biomedical science student when choosing a degree is to check if the course is IBMS accredited. At the end of the degree you will have to complete an IBMS portfolio in your job to become a registered biomedical scientist. They are the governing body for all things biomedical science and without an accredited degree, you will have wasted your money and time.
Here is the link to the IBMS site:
https://careers.ibms.org/students/accredited-degree-courses/undergraduate-uk-courses/

Quick Reply

Latest