Do people who "want" to attend an RG uni actually know what the Russell Group is? Watch

username3431918
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
It's just that I notice people who get told to pick a Russell Group university have this fixed desire to attend one despite having no clue what it is.

Is it damaging to people's university choices? I feel as though it makes them very narrow minded in their decision and they think "no that's not an RG uni so it MUST be bad!!!11"

Thoughts?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
dutchstudent123
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Doesn't being in the RG mean that the university is on a certain level? I always thought RG uni's were the top unis
Geek5
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by dutchstudent123)
Doesn't being in the RG mean that the university is on a certain level? I always thought RG uni's were the top unis
That proves the OPs point
SocialStudiesETC
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I mean an RG university is a university that is world-class and research-based which reflects its respected status. St.Andrews is a great university and is not in the RG. I don't think too many people do this, and if they did, i highly advise they look at the league tables for their specific subject to compare as employers will know where the best come from.
dutchstudent123
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Geek5)
That proves the OPs point
Please note that I'm foreign and thus that I have to rely on very shallow and limited information when it comes to British universities.

But if it's true then I don't think it hurts anyone's choices if they want to go to a top uni. It's only positive isn't it?
bulgylau
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by dutchstudent123)
it means that, simply, they can get a large research grant from the gov compared to non Russell group unis, allowing them to look more attractive to applicants.

they also have other roles e.g. establish an academic board to advise the English exams watchdog Ofqual on the content of A-Levels
thefreys
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
"Russell group" when its used in that loose sense just means a top 30 uni or something along those lines. It's not set in stone or anything. Most people will find that the uni they like and see as good just so happens to be prestigious and in the russell group.

There also isnt too many good unis that arent in the russell group that are still prestigious apart from st andrews, bath and UEA and perhaps some others. Otherwise the Russell group is just a convenient term
AspiringUnderdog
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Loads of people still apply to Bath.
noey123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
kent, bath, city, st andrews are all great unis and they are not russel group.
Chichaldo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They are generally the better universities for said course, but of course if it is RG but ranked 30th for your desired subject you would choose a ranked 10th that isn't RG
Ruth_Mwanaka
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Surrey, Sussex and Loughborough are also great Universities that aren’t Russel group. It really just depends on the course, St Andrews is incredibly good for psychology and much better than most Russel groups for that course.
Snufkin
Report 1 year ago
I imagine many people are pushed into applying to RG unis by their teachers who (mistakenly) think it's some kind of British Ivy League.
username3431918
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Ruth_Mwanaka)
Surrey, Sussex and Loughborough are also great Universities that aren’t Russel group. It really just depends on the course, St Andrews is incredibly good for psychology and much better than most Russel groups for that course.
Yeah, exactly. The problem is, I see a lot of confused people assuming that a university isn't as good as an RG university simply because it's not an RG university. They're missing out on opportunities that may be better for them i.e. at the universities you've mentioned.
Exceptional
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Every university in the Russell Group, broadly speaking, is good. But not every good university is in the Russell Group.

Many countries with a strong higher education system have their own 'group' of 'good' universities, all for different things. E.g. the C9 League in China, U15 in Canada, Ivy League in the US, Group of Eight in Australia, etc.

The Russell Group is about research, the Ivy League is about sport. Does that mean that St Andrews has subpar research standards, or Stanford poor sports teams? No. You have to understand the context of each group, rather than saying that X university is excluded from Y group which means it must be worse.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Guardian Offices, Kings Cross, London Postgraduate
    Mon, 2 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (221)
12.46%
Excited (166)
9.36%
Worried (309)
17.43%
Terrified (390)
22%
Meh (186)
10.49%
Confused (39)
2.2%