GCSE History vs Geography Watch

rimgnsoobng142
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello everyone. Over the past few days I've been thinking about my GCSE subject choices. I've decided on the other GCSEs, and am hoping to take a route to doing a Medicine degree. I'm also thinking of Law as a backup in case I don't get the GCSEs needed. Both of the courses are done by CCEA and I get fantastic grades in both subjects. I think Geography would be more Science orientated, but History would be more useful for Law. What do you guys think? I enjoy both of the subjects equally.
lolu123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
geography is easier
eibhlin18
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I took both at gcse and I found that geography was easier over the three years as a workload (I didn’t have any coursework though) overall however history was easier to get the final grade
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
rimgnsoobng142
Rep:
?
(Original post by lolu123)
geography is easier
Why do you think that? Is the content harder or does it have less things to learn than History?
rimgnsoobng142
Rep:
?
(Original post by eibhlin18)
I took both at gcse and I found that geography was easier over the three years as a workload (I didn’t have any coursework though) overall however history was easier to get the final grade
My school subject option page says that History only has 2 papers and Geography has a lot of different units and such. I'm leaning heavier towards History now. Thanks for your imput!
Deliciate
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I took both GCSE history and geography and I found geography really, excruciatingly boring and for that reason geography was much more difficult for me. Neither are relevant for medicine or law because they are GCSEs so don't take one or the other for those reasons. I'd say look at the course for the exam boards you're studying for both history and geography and see whichever one interests you more. If you're thinking that you're likely to take history for A level (because it's more accommodating for law) then I'd suggest therefore taking it for GCSEs. I also found that the skills I gained in GCSE history were much more transferable than geography (although it was probably just because I enjoyed history more). Also geography doesn't really help with science in my opinion, it's more an essay subject.
username3586448
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I took both of these at GCSE.
I found history easier as I found it more interesting. On the exam board I did (WJEC), the geography was looking a lot at rivers and things and I couldn't get interested in it, which I believe lowered my grade. Where with history I was really interested in the second world war and Jack the Ripper. With both subjects I was given coursework which I believe counted at 30% (?) of my final grade.
Take whichever one you believe you will enjoy, as this will give you a better chance of a higher grade. I don't know about the medicine degree, but I've applied for nursing and they only ask for GCSE Science.
rimgnsoobng142
Rep:
?
Thanks guys for all your comments! I really appreciate it all and I think I'm going to take it on board!
Becky_katy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm currently in year 11 and do both, in both subject there are a lot of facts to learn, probably more in geo. I personally find history exam technique harder because it an essay. I do enjoy both, prefer geo. History may be useful for law. Maybe also check the topics Ur school does, I do medicine through time for one of mine which is quite sciency
Deliciate
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh and also, when I finished my GCSEs I got a much higher UMS in geography than history even though I was definitely doing much better in history throughout the year. I think geography is probably easier especially when getting the final grade because it's kinda just like regurgitating information whereas you have to write a decent essay in history to get good marks. Both are quite content heavy.
anon student
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i take both now and i’m in year 11. i love history compared to geography, so much so that i’m doing it next year for as level. the content is genuinely interesting (so is geography) and the exam questions are less complex and easier to answer. i managed a band 9 in my most recent mock (history) and a band 7 in geography. the content for geography is alright but the exam questions are more complex and they ask you in a more awkward way that i can never seem to understand. i think it’s a heck of a lot easy to get a high grade in history compared to geography. also, i think it’s more relevant if you want to do law compared to science with geography. i’m thinking of law and that’s another reason i want to do history next year as universities love it.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
TheJakkuJedi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Conorcog)
Hello everyone. Over the past few days I've been thinking about my GCSE subject choices. I've decided on the other GCSEs, and am hoping to take a route to doing a Medicine degree. I'm also thinking of Law as a backup in case I don't get the GCSEs needed. Both of the courses are done by CCEA and I get fantastic grades in both subjects. I think Geography would be more Science orientated, but History would be more useful for Law. What do you guys think? I enjoy both of the subjects equally.
Personally, I feel like History is more rigorous but also more satisfying- as someone who does History and has friends who do Geography, I know both require substantial amounts of essay writing (History more so) but, based on interest factor and the fact that it develops key debating and judgement skills, I would go for History

What topics would you be doing for your board?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (35)
11.15%
I used to but I don't now (11)
3.5%
No, but I want to start (113)
35.99%
No, I am unable to (69)
21.97%
No, I chose not to (86)
27.39%