A Level Choices - Third A Level - Sociology or History? - HELP! Watch

thatthat
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey,
So I'm currently in year 11, and I have to choose my a levels within the next few days, but I'm really stuck with what to choose. I'm interested in studying politics, international relations or maybe even law, but I'm not 100% sure yet.

I am so far taking French and English Literature, but I need help with the third choice. History seems an obvious option, and for GCSE it is my best subject, but I HATE the a level course, and it seems very boring to me, so I don't think I'd be motivated to study for it.

The next alternative is Sociology, which I'm really interested in, but I'm unsure if it will be as interesting as I anticipate (as I have not previously studied it). Also I'm looking to study at a RG university, so I don't want a 'softer' subject to damage my application.

As for another alternative, I'm pretty open to most other subjects! I perform well across the board at GCSE, so I'm not limited based upon ability. Psychology interests me, but I'm not sure if it will benefit me at all. Maths is also another possibility, but I don't want to stretch myself too far, and study subjects which are going to prove too much work. At the end of the day, I'd rather have high grades, than 'respected' subjects.

But any help would be gratefully appreciated!
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What about politics? Is that not an option?

Politics A level is much more respected than sociology.

Plus, it's potentially what you want to do at uni.

Politics and English lit (along with a langauge) would also be a good combination for law.
Ems16
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am in year 13 studying biology, history and psychology.
If you are not liking the look of the course then perhaps it would be good to choose another subject as history is a very demanding subject and to do well you really need to be interested and enjoy it. In my course we are studying Russia and Wars of the Roses. Russia really interests me and is reflected in my grades but I don’t like Wars of the Roses and I am struggling to get the same grades as the other half of the course.
From what I understand from friends, sociology is a great subject and most enjoy it! It goes very well with politics and psychology if you are interested in those.
If I was to choose my subjects again, I would have chosen sociology over history on advice from friends who do both and enjoy sociology much more.
And maybe enquire with your sixth form/college on whether you would be able to swap subjects after a couple of weeks if you were not enjoying them! I know at my sixth form this was possible!
Hope this helps!
thatthat
Rep:
?
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
What about politics? Is that not an option?

Politics A level is much more respected than sociology.

Plus, it's potentially what you want to do at uni.

Politics and English lit (along with a langauge) would also be a good combination for law.
Unfortunately my school no longer offers politics as an a level, which is kinda frustrating, as like you say - it would be great for what I want to do :/
I'm a little worried about how 'respected' sociology would be by top universities, however, I know there is a better chance of me getting a good grade in the subject, as I have a genuine interest in the course
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by thatthat)
Hey,
So I'm currently in year 11, and I have to choose my a levels within the next few days, but I'm really stuck with what to choose. I'm interested in studying politics, international relations or maybe even law, but I'm not 100% sure yet.

I am so far taking French and English Literature, but I need help with the third choice. History seems an obvious option, and for GCSE it is my best subject, but I HATE the a level course, and it seems very boring to me, so I don't think I'd be motivated to study for it.

The next alternative is Sociology, which I'm really interested in, but I'm unsure if it will be as interesting as I anticipate (as I have not previously studied it). Also I'm looking to study at a RG university, so I don't want a 'softer' subject to damage my application.

As for another alternative, I'm pretty open to most other subjects! I perform well across the board at GCSE, so I'm not limited based upon ability. Psychology interests me, but I'm not sure if it will benefit me at all. Maths is also another possibility, but I don't want to stretch myself too far, and study subjects which are going to prove too much work. At the end of the day, I'd rather have high grades, than 'respected' subjects.

But any help would be gratefully appreciated!
what periods would be studying for History A level?
thatthat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ems16)
I am in year 13 studying biology, history and psychology.
If you are not liking the look of the course then perhaps it would be good to choose another subject as history is a very demanding subject and to do well you really need to be interested and enjoy it. In my course we are studying Russia and Wars of the Roses. Russia really interests me and is reflected in my grades but I don’t like Wars of the Roses and I am struggling to get the same grades as the other half of the course.
From what I understand from friends, sociology is a great subject and most enjoy it! It goes very well with politics and psychology if you are interested in those.
If I was to choose my subjects again, I would have chosen sociology over history on advice from friends who do both and enjoy sociology much more.
And maybe enquire with your sixth form/college on whether you would be able to swap subjects after a couple of weeks if you were not enjoying them! I know at my sixth form this was possible!
Hope this helps!
Thank you!! This is what I was thinking, because I know that my grades will suffer, due to a lack of interest. Moreover, the content is so heavy and challenging that I'm not going to have any motivation to learn it all. Russia sounds so interesting, I wish my school would offer that. The course my school offers however includes the tudors and fascist Italy, to which I have zero motivation to learn. Unlike with English Literature and French, which I actually get excited about the prospect of studying XD Sociology seems a great subject, with interesting content, and it should work well for politics I'm also interested in studying an entirely new subject, so sociology could be that for me.

My school has an induction week during the summer holidays, so I could see how sociology goes, and if I hate it I can always swap for the start of year 12.

And again, thank you for your advice
thatthat
Rep:
?
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
what periods would be studying for History A level?
The tudors and fascist italy, which I have very little interest in (
My school is on aqa for history btw ^^
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by thatthat)
The tudors and fascist italy, which I have very little interest in (
My school is on aqa for history btw ^^
I study Tudors for year 13, and I never really had an interest in it before I studied it, but then its hard to have an interest if you haven't studied it . I have found myself to grow a fondness for the Tudors, especially the rebellions in the Tudors.

I have never studied Fascist Italy so can't comment
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (147)
60.49%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.53%
No- I want it (68)
27.98%
No- I don't want it (17)