vdw forces and london dispersion forces

Watch
heartshaker
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I know how vdw forces work, but I'm confused between london dispersion forces and vdw forces. Are the london dispersion forces a type of vdw forces? If so, what is the difference?

Any help is appreciated xx
HateOCR
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
London force and VDW forces are the same thing they just have different names. They happen when the electron cloud is not even dispersed between two bonded atoms at an instant. i.e an electron cloud could be closer to one atom than another at any instant giving it a temporary delta - charge. This means the other atoms bonded to it will bd delta +. The VDW force is the attraction between D+ and D- but between different molecules.
heartshaker
Rep:
?
(Original post by HateOCR)
London force and VDW forces are the same thing they just have different names. They happen when the electron cloud is not even dispersed between two bonded atoms at an instant. i.e an electron cloud could be closer to one atom than another at any instant giving it a temporary delta - charge. This means the other atoms bonded to it will bd delta +. The VDW force is the attraction between D+ and D- but between different molecules.
Ok so the 2 are the same? Are they both induced dipole-dipole forces?
HateOCR
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by heartshaker)
Ok so the 2 are the same? Are they both induced dipole-dipole forces?
Yes. Permanent dipole-dipoles happen between atoms that are bonded with a large difference in electronegativity. E.g H-F will have a permanent dipole as F has a stronger “electron pulling power” than H.
heartshaker
Rep:
?
(Original post by HateOCR)
Yes. Permanent dipole-dipoles happen between atoms that are bonded with a large difference in electronegativity. E.g H-F will have a permanent dipole as F has a stronger “electron pulling power” than H.
Right this all makes sense now! Thank you so much!
HateOCR
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Right this all makes sense now! Thank you so much!
No problem.
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm confused between london dispersion forces and vdw forces.
So were several exam boards.

OCR A and AQA used to think that VdW were idid (London forces).

They now (correctly) realise that idid and pdpd are both types of VdW.

OCR A (the one I know best) will avoid using the term VdW in exams and will probably be asking questions in such as way as to make VdW NOT an allowable answer, i.e. idd or pdd would be expected but not either.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (61)
17.38%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (97)
27.64%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (134)
38.18%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
13.68%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise