The Student Room Group

Lifestyle - Balance between studying, work and living a life

Hi, I’m Harry.

I’m looking for advice from anyone who is (or has been) in the position I am currently in. I have been back in education for the last 4 years (excluding school - I’m 27), studying mechanical engineering. I took the unconventional route of being sent on day release through work, right from a BTEC level 3 to HNC and now, I’m currntly competing a foundation degree, all covering mechanical engineering. I have struggled over the years to have much of a life (if any) I work 8-5 for four days per week, attend uni for one day and then use pretty much every weekend and weeknights to do uni work.

Don’t get me wrong, I knew what I was taking on from day one, and knew that it wasn’t going to be a walk in the park. It’s just that I’m feeling so isolated and down as that’s all my life is. However, other lads on the course are able to play sport, gym, have a life and seem to cope with it pretty well. I struggle, and am finding my productivity has hit an all time low. I was always motivated to crack on with work (most of the time) but now it’s nearing zero and I’m concerned that the negative aspects are going to be reflected in my exam results.

I wish to god I was at uni full time just to solely concentrate on just uni work. However, that’s not an option due to financial reasons. I’m basically asking how/what do I need to do to increase productivity, and how can I switch off? (Techniques etc..) I’m in a mentally difficult rut atm and just feel like I’m sinking. I’ve spoke to lads at uni but don’t get much out of them, so thought I’d give it a go on here. I’m not expecting to have weekends and socIal life back.. I’m certainly not that nieve! (Lol)

It would just be nice to hear from people in the same “day release” situation as I am. - on a side note, does anyone know of a recruitment agency or similar, who may have any vaccancies within engineering that may offer day release? I’m looking to move jobs but it’s mighty hard to find companies who openly advertise such role’s. (Worth a try)

Thanks,

Harry
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h: I'm sure there are lots of other people in your position.

Are the other people on the course also working 4 days a week?

How are you managing your time/schedule?
Hi,It sounds like you're getting a little burnout. I'd try and take a few sick days or some time off if you can just to rejuvenate and recover a little so that you can clear your head and come back at it a little fresher. It's important to look after your health, although I appreciate this is hard with the pressure of work and studies. I would strongly advise seeking support from your universities student support if you can, they are there to help students with this sort of situation and find ways to manage it. At the least maybe have an evening or afternoon off at the weekends to rest and do something you enjoy, some sport, a walk etc so that you can get some breathing space. You will be much more productive when you come back and you're grades probably won't take the massive hit you think they might. Also try some deep breathing techniques, progressive muscle relaxation, meditation, going for a walk in order calm yourself down a bit. I'm sure you'll find a way through but seek support from others too! Good luck!
Is there any option to reduce either your work hours or the pace of the course a bit? It seems like even a half-day a week off would be an improvement?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending