Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    1st time at the Uni of Sheffield, I studied Aerospace Engineering. However Less than a month in I dropped out. No tuition fees were paid to the university because student finance got a full refumd. 2nd time (this year) I am studying Biomedical Science at the University of Sheffield and don't plan to drop out. However I have also applied to NCH for the next year. I know that student finance does a gift year. Would this apply to me since only one year of my studies has actually been funded or will they take into account my first time as well despite not having paid any fees for me?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by APatwary26)
    1st time at the Uni of Sheffield, I studied Aerospace Engineering. However Less than a month in I dropped out. No tuition fees were paid to the university because student finance got a full refumd. 2nd time (this year) I am studying Biomedical Science at the University of Sheffield and don't plan to drop out. However I have also applied to NCH for the next year. I know that student finance does a gift year. Would this apply to me since only one year of my studies has actually been funded or will they take into account my first time as well despite not having paid any fees for me?
    Hi APatwary26,

I just have a quick question, could you clarify what NCH stands for?

Thank you,

John.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John B SFE)
    Hi APatwary26,

I just have a quick question, could you clarify what NCH stands for?

Thank you,

John.
    NCH is a new university called New College of the Humanities.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by APatwary26)
    NCH is a new university called New College of the Humanities.
    Hi APatwary26,

Thanks for answering that.

Student finance take previous study into account even if it wasn't funded, so if the university classed you as attending at all, it would count toward your years of funding. This means that if you start a new course from next year, you will have 2 years of previous study, which means your additional year of funding has been used. This means you wouldn't get the tuition fee loan loan for the first year of a new course (you can still apply for full Maintenance Loan, DSA and supplementary grants such Childcare Grant and Parents Learning Allowance).

The easiest way to calculate your funding entitlement is as follows:

Length of your new course + 1 additional year - any years of previous study= years of funding for new course.

The funding is awarded from the final year back, so if you have 2 years of funding for a 3 year course, you would get full funding for years 2 and 3.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.