The Student Room Group

veterinarian

can i become a vet without biology?
Reply 1
I think you can but some universities prefer it or require it. You’ll be better off choosing it.
Reply 2
but i cant choose to take biology or not because my school put me in sub science stream which is only have accounts, chemistry, physics, history, add maths and english only....
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Change school
Reply 4
what is the requirement to become a vet?
Reply 5
sh
Reply 6
my mo dont let me to.... she want me to become a teacher :frown:
Reply 7
my mom dont let me to.... she want me to become a teacher :frown:
There is one vet school that will let you on to the five year program (the normal duration of the course) without biology: Cambridge. However, it is very, very highly recommended to take it, and at any rate putting all of your hopes into one vet school when you could otherwise apply to four would seem a bad idea.

There are some universities that offer preliminary veterinary courses (i.e. a foundation year) for people who didn't do the right A levels, for example Nottingham.

I would suggest having a discussion with your school about your goals and explaining why they need to accommodate you to do biology. You won't be the only one wanting to pursue something medical; many health science courses will require biology in addition to chemistry.

As for your mother, you also need to speak with her about your ambitions for the future. At the end of the day it is your life, and you're the one who will have to commit to hours of study in the field that you choose - so make it something you enjoy! There are vets that teach, I might add :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest