?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
So I was planning on doing the folowing a levels:-
Law
Spanish
Psychology
Business Studies
Sociology

Firstly I was just wondering if psychology and sociology are too similar.
Secondly, I have had a college interview today and the a level co ordiantor said I should be aiming for oxbridge, I asked if my subjects were respected enough, and he said definetley especially if I can get A's in them. But then I came on here and everyone is saying you need all academic subjects, and now I'm worrying. What do you think I should do. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
alcampo
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
Hi. I currently study Spanish and Business Studies at A2 and got 2 A's for AS. Oxbridge look very well on languages, but a lot of people seem to think that BS is a waster subject- which I completely do not agree with. Overall they seem good choices but you may have to do one that is more scientific, like Maths/Science, maybe just for AS? I'm not sure. ?Qué piensas tú?
Colourspinner
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Is it possible for you to do Economics instead of Business Studies? It definitely looks more impressive even if BS may be just as hard. And maybe maths/a science subject instead of psychology/sociology/law?
blahbloo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
And perhaps yuo could have Psychology alongside Biology?
Fairy.Dust.Forever
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I would assume that Psychology would be better to do than Sociology.... based on some of the stuff my friends were studying in Psychology - I wished i'd chosen that instead of Sociology - but I suppose it's relative to teaching standards as I did still enjoy Sociology. It's not a complete dos, even though people say it is but it isn't the best subject to put on an Oxbridge application. Saying that, if you can justify your choices etc. then it's all down to you.
cookiedoughmonster
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It depends on what you want to do at Oxbridge. If you're aiming for Law or something very competitive, I'd drop one or two of the following; Psychology, Sociology and Business Studies. The Spanish and Law are definitely respected, but unless you're considering doing something Psychology related at university, I'd swap one of them for something else....
~Ollie~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
They like you to have a couple of 'solid' A-levels such as history, sciences, maths, languages etc and other than spanish i don't really think those fall into that category really. history in stead of sociology would maybe be a better option, but then again you have to consider whether you will enjoy what you choose. Although tbh 4 or 5 A's will demonstrate intelligence regardless of the subjects (as song as they are semi-relevant) and it would be perfectly possible to get an offer for an artsy kinda subject with that combination if that is what you enjoy
purple-girl
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Law isn't respected. Even if you want to do Law at uni, they prefer you not to have the A-Level, so scrap that. The other 4 are ok...though they might look down on having both sociology and psychology. I'd suggest switching sociology for biology or maths. And possibly Business Studies for Economics...there's some overlap, but there's quite a bit of difference. Out of your subjects, as others have said, Spanish is your only really good one. For Oxbridge you really need at least 2. Switching Sociology and business for those subjects will really strengthen your application.
spanglishgal
Rep:
?
Origianlly I wanted to do economics, but the college have stopped doing it because teachers are retiring and there are not enough people wanted to do it. Secondly the only ones which fit into my blocks other than these subjects are art and design, photography, health n social care maths, PHYSICS AND CHEMISTRY (WHICH AREN'T MY STRONG SUBJECTS.) (sorry for captals its the damn keyboard) so from those Im left with what I have explained, do you think its worth me doing something I'm not to good, to have a more traditional subjecton my application form.
~Ollie~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No not really... just make sure you get A's in them! perhaps you can explain these limitations in your personal statement and reference and they may take it into account
Evizu
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Psychology and Biology are very good subjects to do, they have similarities in them, not great ones but there still pretty good to do, Not sure about other subjects as i know nothing on them. Goo luck choosing
xinolisss
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i dont mean to be unpleasant about it, but let's take a look at the facts, your choices for A level are
Law
Spanish
Psychology
Business Studies
Sociology

now according to what i've been reading on this book, "Oxbridge entrants the real rules" law is "rated as not intellectually demanding enough at Oxbridge so are subjects like sociology or psychology", well I think it depends more on what you're planning to study at University. I mean, out of your five A level choices you've got 3 definately what they consider as "soft" subjects, one in the middle and one language. now this doesn't mean that you have no chance of entering oxbridge, you still have, but you'll stand a better, a MUCH better chance if you swapped one of your subjects for a "stronger/respected" one. that's basically translating what the book said in a whole chapter... , so the decision is yours, don't put too much pressure on yourself for selecting a "strong" subject if you really dont like it, it is still fine to apply to oxbridge with your A levels, simply choose what you like and what you're going to enjoy to study rather than something you'll end up having to put up with
spanglishgal
Rep:
?
(Original post by xinolisss)
i dont mean to be unpleasant about it, but let's take a look at the facts, your choices for A level are
Law
Spanish
Psychology
Business Studies
Sociology

now according to what i've been reading on this book, "Oxbridge entrants the real rules" law is "rated as not intellectually demanding enough at Oxbridge so are subjects like sociology or psychology", well I think it depends more on what you're planning to study at University. I mean, out of your five A level choices you've got 3 definitely what they consider as "soft" subjects, one in the middle and one language. now this doesn't mean that you have no chance of entering oxbridge, you still have, but you'll stand a better, a MUCH better chance if you swapped one of your subjects for a "stronger/respected" one. that's basically translating what the book said in a whole chapter... , so the decision is yours, don't put too much pressure on yourself for selecting a "strong" subject if you really dont like it, it is still fine to apply to oxbridge with your A levels, simply choose what you like and what you're going to enjoy to study rather than something you'll end up having to put up with
Thank you x
billet-doux
Report 11 years ago
Let us know what you decide on
spanglishgal
Rep:
?
At one college I've applied to do spanish, law, psychology, economics and politics (so 2 subjects there which are respected), and at a different college Im applying for spanish, law, psychology, business and biology (2 respected subjects aswell) well I think I am anyway. Thanks for your help everyone.
billet-doux
Report 11 years ago
wow so you're doing 5 AS levels! good luckkk! aha x
spanglishgal
Rep:
?
Oh thanks you, I reckon I'll be suicidal by the end of it , but 2 years work is not much for a great job in the end or to go to a good uni. (well if get in lol)
billet-doux
Report 11 years ago
Yeah that's a good way of looking at it
I'll be doing spanishh as well next year I'm really looking forward to it, it's such a pretty language.!
spanglishgal
Rep:
?
I absolutely love spanish, well I've got to because my Dad is Spanish so he probably would hurt me, but if I don't get into oxbridge I'd love to go to uni in spain.
billet-doux
Report 11 years ago
Haha! My mum is half spanish so i guess that adds to my love for all things spanish!
But my heart lies with medicine/dentistry !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.03%
They might tell the bully (35)
9.46%
I don't think they'd understand (56)
15.14%
It might lead to more bullying (144)
38.92%
There's nothing they could do (109)
29.46%

Watched Threads