The Student Room Group
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website

Is it worth getting a car?

I live in Greater Manchester and am hoping to get into Chester next year when I start to apply for unis but I was just wondering if it’s worth getting a car?
Hi, we wouldn't recommend getting a car. Chester is a compact city and everything you need is within 10 mins' walk of our Parkgate Road campus. If you are living in University accommodation you won't be able to park your car on campus anyway.

Hope this helps :smile:
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website
Original post by University of Chester
Hi, we wouldn't recommend getting a car. Chester is a compact city and everything you need is within 10 mins' walk of our Parkgate Road campus. If you are living in University accommodation you won't be able to park your car on campus anyway.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thankyou that helps a lot. I think I was mainly thinking of getting one because on the Primary teaching degree you get assigned to different placements and I was worried that they wouldn’t all be accessible by pubic transport. I would be at the riverside campus and on the open day the accommodation seemed quite far from there when I went on the bus.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Jaiomi Roberts
I live in Greater Manchester and am hoping to get into Chester next year when I start to apply for unis but I was just wondering if it’s worth getting a car?

Probably but not until you’re 19-20 because tax will probably cost more than the price of the actual car if you want to own one from 16-18.
Original post by HateOCR
Probably but not until you’re 19-20 because tax will probably cost more than the price of the actual car if you want to own one from 16-18.

I’ll be 19 when I go to uni because I spent a year doing Musical Theatre and then changed to child care. I’m in my second year of college but I have an extra year to do before I complete my childcare course so I’ll be 19 xxx
Reply 5
I’ll be 19 when I go to uni because I spent a year doing Musical Theatre and then changed to child care. I’m in my second year of college but I have an extra year to do before I complete my childcare course so I’ll be 19 xxx

Its probably worth getting a car if you need to commute long distances quiet frequently or if transport is quite expensive around the area. You could work now and save up for a car.
Original post by HateOCR
Its probably worth getting a car if you need to commute long distances quiet frequently or if transport is quite expensive around the area. You could work now and save up for a car.

Yeah I’ve got two jobs at the moment so I’m saving up as much as I can. Only just started my lessons so won’t be thinking of buying a car properly for months now until I pass, thank you xx
Original post by HateOCR
tax will probably cost more than the price of the actual car

I hope you meant insurance.
Reply 8
Original post by DarthRoar
I hope you meant insurance.

Sorry my bad
Thankyou that helps a lot. I think I was mainly thinking of getting one because on the Primary teaching degree you get assigned to different placements and I was worried that they wouldn’t all be accessible by pubic transport. I would be at the riverside campus and on the open day the accommodation seemed quite far from there when I went on the bus.

Thanks for the update. Students without access to a car will be offered placements that are accessible by public transport :smile: If you have any other questions about your placements, then you can contact the Placements team on 01244 511380.

Our Riverside Campus is about a 20 minute walk from our Parkgate Road Campus, which is where much of our accommodation is.

Feel free to get back in touch if you have any other questions
Hi there, joining the conversation a bit late but i would agree with all of the above in regards to bringing a car to Chester. If you are set on bringing you car though we offer accommodation with parking (charged extra) at Towpath Chester (Fresh Student Living). Parking is very limited and we are now down to our last few spaces for 18/19 so get in touch if you are interested.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending