A Thousand Words
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hello, im getting rather confused on what degree levels are? I was wondering after A levels when joining a university what type of degree would yoube doing as i have been trying to get my head around this and it says on wikipedia "it is becoming increasingly common to skip the Bachelor's stage entirely and go straight to Masters level on a four year".

-Sorry if i have posted it in the wrong thread and thanks for all your asnwers.
rottcodd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
After A-levels, you go to universty and do an undergraduate degree which lasts three years. Most (sensible) people leave after that and get jobs. At Scottish uni's the system is different; the undergraduate degree takes four years instead of three.

I think what that wiki quote is going on about is that you can also now do a four year degree which incorporates a masters degree into it. So say you wanted to study maths at university. You could either:

a) do a normal, three year undergraduate degree in mathematics, then leave with a bachelors degree (what most people do).

b) do a normal, three year undergraduate degree in mathematics, then go and do a one year masters degree in mathematics at the same or a different university. You now have both a bachelors degree and a masters degree.

c) study for a MMath degree, which is a four year degree which incorporates the master degree into it.

I think that's correct. Someone with brains will hopefully come along and verify that
ThePants999
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The standard route, if you took it "all the way" is:

Bachelor's - 3 years, unless you have a placement year or year abroad in which case 4
Master's - typically 1 year
Doctorate - varies, but maybe 3 years

It's possible to go from A-levels to "undergraduate Masters" courses, which essentially combine the first two and last four years.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (10)
22.22%
No (35)
77.78%

Watched Threads